Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Passport authentication

Passport authentication

Lukasz Glaz

The company I work in is switching to ASP.NET 2.0. We have seen that there
is built-in support for Microsoft Passport authentication and we're
considering it as an optional way of authenticating users of our web
product. I was unable to find on Microsoft site any information regarding
fees for using it. Is it free of charge or a company that uses Microsoft
Passport authentication in their product must pay some fee to Microsoft?

Best regards
Lukasz Glaz

Karl Seguin [MVP]

You can learn a little more from:
http://www.devx.com/security/Article/17483

but it is a hosted service which Microsoft sells. Personally, I think
Passport has been a failure for Microsoft and is only useful to it on it's
own sites (hotmail/msn/...). Here's an entry from wiki

"Having failed to gain market acceptance, Microsoft has recently stated they
will stop usage of Passport for entities outside of its own operations.
Despite media reports that Microsoft is phasing out the technology,
Microsoft rolled out a major update to the Passport service in May, 200"

So I'm not even sure if you can still buy it as a service...

Karl
--
http://www.openmymind.net/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...