Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > toolbar button extension?

toolbar button extension?

johnnyzero

Hi,

I'm kinda new to FireFox, but I'm looking for a SIMPLE to use extension
that'll let me create custom Toolbar buttons (to run some external
program or go to a URL). I've already checked out "Customizable Toolbar
Buttons", but it's not very easy to use. I'm looking for something more
along the lines of Add-A-Button for IE:
http://www.harmonyhollow.net/aab.shtml

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
JohnB

Rom

On 30 Sep 2005 17:07:35 -0700, johnnyzero wrote:

>I'm kinda new to FireFox, but I'm looking for a SIMPLE to use extension
>that'll let me create custom Toolbar buttons (to run some external
>program or go to a URL). I've already checked out "Customizable Toolbar
>Buttons", but it's not very easy to use. I'm looking for something more
>along the lines of Add-A-Button for IE:
>http://www.harmonyhollow.net/aab.shtml

External Application Buttons 0.7.2 works with Firefox 1.0.7:
<http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?s=7cf81c57b2198e40aa286b573ffea69a&showt opic=40>

Install and restart Firefox.
Go to "View > Toolbars > Customize..."
Find "Applications" and drag onto your toolbar.
Right-click where you dragged to, select "New Button...", and follow
your nose.

--
Rom

Leonidas Jones

Rom wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2005 17:07:35 -0700, johnnyzero wrote:
>
>> I'm kinda new to FireFox, but I'm looking for a SIMPLE to use extension
>> that'll let me create custom Toolbar buttons (to run some external
>> program or go to a URL). I've already checked out "Customizable Toolbar
>> Buttons", but it's not very easy to use. I'm looking for something more
>> along the lines of Add-A-Button for IE:
>> http://www.harmonyhollow.net/aab.shtml

> External Application Buttons 0.7.2 works with Firefox 1.0.7:
> <http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?s=7cf81c57b2198e40aa286b573ffea69a&showt opic=40>
>
> Install and restart Firefox.
> Go to "View > Toolbars > Customize..."
> Find "Applications" and drag onto your toolbar.
> Right-click where you dragged to, select "New Button...", and follow
> your nose.

Second that recommendation, it works beautifully from here.

Lee

johnnyzero

Thanks guys - works great for adding external app buttons. I had come
across External Application Buttons in my travels, but for some reason
I didn't think it was compatible w/ v1.0.7 so I didn't download and try
it.

Now if I could just find an easy way to add buttons to go to a specific
URL. I tried forcing External Application Buttons to point to an
existing internet shortcut, but it doesn't work.

Again, any info will be MUCH appreciated.

JohnB

Hendrik Maryns

johnnyzero uitte de volgende tekst op 1/10/2005 16:08:
> Now if I could just find an easy way to add buttons to go to a specific
> URL. I tried forcing External Application Buttons to point to an
> existing internet shortcut, but it doesn't work.

Huh? Why don't you use the bookmarks toolbar for this?

--
Hendrik Maryns

==================
www.lieverleven.be
http://aouw.org

johnnyzero

Thanks a lot, Hendrick - that's perfect! As I said previously, I'm new
to FireFox so please excuse my ignorance. I had assumed that the
"Bookmarks" toolbar would display all my Bookmarks or something.

I also discovered that I can move any External Application Buttons I've
created (see previous posts) onto the Bookmarks toolbar. That's exactly
what I was trying to do: create a secondary toolbar just for
frequently-used URL's & apps. Here's a screen grab of my toolbars (of
course I'll be adding more URL's & apps as needed):

http://www.frontiernet.net/~johnnyze...foxtoolbar.jpg

thanks again,
JohnB

window.open with toolbar=1 and without google toolbar ? pcouas Javascript 0 02-19-2007 08:28 AM
Toolbar behind toolbar help pls? Dribbler Computer Support 4 05-01-2005 11:10 AM
firefox "send link" with "Mail" toolbar button gone EA Firefox 6 02-26-2005 10:10 AM
Toolbar button size Snuffy Firefox 6 07-29-2004 04:48 PM
Button Collection for Toolbar WebControl - Determinine which button was clicked Jim Mitchell ASP .Net Web Controls 0 07-12-2003 01:02 PM

Advertisments