Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > One last question about ASP.NET 1.1 application recycling, load time and other boring stuff

One last question about ASP.NET 1.1 application recycling, load time and other boring stuff

Darren Kopp

If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003 (I believe it's
both, 2003 for sure), run the Internet Information Services Manager
(inetmgr), go to the application pool in which the application is
running, right-click and select properties.

Now you want to check out the Recycling and Performance tabs. I am
guessing that under Performance, your Idle Timeout is checked and set
to something like 20 minutes. If your app is idle for more than that
time, it is closed, and when a new request is sent, your application is
reloaded.

You might want to just uncheck it, or set it to a larger amount of
time.

HTH,
Darren Kopp
http://blog.secudocs.com/

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003
> (I believe it's both, 2003 for sure)

Yes, 2003 for sure, but not 2000.

W2K runs IIS 5.0, which doesn't use Application Pools.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Darren Kopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003 (I believe it's
> both, 2003 for sure), run the Internet Information Services Manager
> (inetmgr), go to the application pool in which the application is
> running, right-click and select properties.
>
> Now you want to check out the Recycling and Performance tabs. I am
> guessing that under Performance, your Idle Timeout is checked and set
> to something like 20 minutes. If your app is idle for more than that
> time, it is closed, and when a new request is sent, your application is
> reloaded.
>
> You might want to just uncheck it, or set it to a larger amount of
> time.
>
> HTH,
> Darren Kopp
> http://blog.secudocs.com/

Ravi Ambros Wallau

I don't see nothing like this on Windows 2000 or Windows XP computers... Is
there a configuration to do such thing on these servers? Or is it "obscure"?

"Darren Kopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003 (I believe it's
> both, 2003 for sure), run the Internet Information Services Manager
> (inetmgr), go to the application pool in which the application is
> running, right-click and select properties.
>
> Now you want to check out the Recycling and Performance tabs. I am
> guessing that under Performance, your Idle Timeout is checked and set
> to something like 20 minutes. If your app is idle for more than that
> time, it is closed, and when a new request is sent, your application is
> reloaded.
>
> You might want to just uncheck it, or set it to a larger amount of
> time.
>
> HTH,
> Darren Kopp
> http://blog.secudocs.com/

Ravi Ambros Wallau

So, is there such behavior on W2K?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003
>> (I believe it's both, 2003 for sure)

> Yes, 2003 for sure, but not 2000.
>
> W2K runs IIS 5.0, which doesn't use Application Pools.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Darren Kopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003 (I believe it's
>> both, 2003 for sure), run the Internet Information Services Manager
>> (inetmgr), go to the application pool in which the application is
>> running, right-click and select properties.
>>
>> Now you want to check out the Recycling and Performance tabs. I am
>> guessing that under Performance, your Idle Timeout is checked and set
>> to something like 20 minutes. If your app is idle for more than that
>> time, it is closed, and when a new request is sent, your application is
>> reloaded.
>>
>> You might want to just uncheck it, or set it to a larger amount of
>> time.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Darren Kopp
>> http://blog.secudocs.com/

Ravi Ambros Wallau

Dear friends:
This is my third question on this news in three days... Sorry for this
spam behavior
I've a lot of problems on "first page load" after some change on
web.config or even in the contents of bin folder...
Nathan Sokalski passed me a link to ILMerge library, I've made some
tests grouping a set of DLL's that are loaded without reflection, but there
were no improvements on load time.
I've noted that ASP.NET copies all assemblies that are on bin folder to
the Temporary ASP.NET Files, located on Framework folder under Windows
folder. I don't know why ASP.NET does that, but whatever, I think that this
behavior cannot be modified.
My question is: When using ASP.NET 1.1, is there some automatic
recycling behavior? My pages are not changed often. But we have the
impression that, once or twice in a day, the time took to load a page is
heavily increased, even if this page has no great processing on this
operation... Am I missing something? ASP.NET does this for any reason?

Thanks,

--
Ravi Wallau

Juan T. Llibre

I'm not sure what you mean by "such behavior", but I can guarantee
that Application Pools don't exist under W2K ( under IIS 5.0 ).

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Ravi Ambros Wallau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, is there such behavior on W2K?
> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>>> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003
>>> (I believe it's both, 2003 for sure)

>> Yes, 2003 for sure, but not 2000.
>>
>> W2K runs IIS 5.0, which doesn't use Application Pools.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> ===================================
>> "Darren Kopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> If your app is running on Server 2000 or Server 2003 (I believe it's
>>> both, 2003 for sure), run the Internet Information Services Manager
>>> (inetmgr), go to the application pool in which the application is
>>> running, right-click and select properties.
>>>
>>> Now you want to check out the Recycling and Performance tabs. I am
>>> guessing that under Performance, your Idle Timeout is checked and set
>>> to something like 20 minutes. If your app is idle for more than that
>>> time, it is closed, and when a new request is sent, your application is
>>> reloaded.
>>>
>>> You might want to just uncheck it, or set it to a larger amount of
>>> time.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Darren Kopp

Darren Kopp

Thanks for the info, I don't have access to 2000 server so i couldn't
check myself.

-Darren

Darren Kopp

I know the application pool isn't on Windows XP, and Juan has said that
it's not on 2000, so you may need to look to another cause.

Try adding some code in the Application_BeginRequest event that logs
when it is invoked, to see if your application recycling is actually
your problem.

For future posts, what is the website being hosted on? Server 2000,
2003, or Windows XP?

-Darren

Ravi Ambros Wallau

I mean recycle the application if it's idle...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure what you mean by "such behavior", but I can guarantee
> that Application Pools don't exist under W2K ( under IIS 5.0 ).
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Ravi Ambros Wallau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So, is there such behavior on W2K?
>> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> re:
>>>
>>> Yes, 2003 for sure, but not 2000.
>>>
>>> W2K runs IIS 5.0, which doesn't use Application Pools.
>>>

>>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>> aspnetfaq.com : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
>>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>> "Darren Kopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Ravi Ambros Wallau

All... Windows XP for development, both 2000 and 2003 for production
servers...