Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > gwtc was: FF won't save passwords for some sites

gwtc was: FF won't save passwords for some sites

default

I go to the site
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkle...ember_password

and get a java script window:

Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.

Well that don't happen . . .

and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
.. and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
the remember password button

Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
something else?

Ed Mullen

default wrote:

> I go to the site
> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkle...ember_password
>
> and get a java script window:
>
> Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
> removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
> the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.

You don't say so but I must assume you clicked on the "remember
password" button and that produced the javascript message window.
That's what is supposed to happen. However, that page has no password
form so you will not see the referenced Firefox password prompt after
you click OK. You need to invoke the javascript bookmarklet on a page
that has a password form in it of the sort that the bookmarklet is
designed to deal with. Note: not all pages requiring passwords use the
same method and, hence, this bookmarklet will not work on all such
pages. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_bmarks.html

> Well that don't happen . . .
>
> and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
> . and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
> the remember password button
>
> Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
> something else?

Bookmarklets work fine for me in FF 1.0.7 and have for many previous
versions. Exactly where are you trying to drop the "remember password"
button? I can drag and drop the button onto the Personal Toolbar as
well as into the bookmarks sidebar, no problem. You may have an
extension installed that is interfering with drag/drop. Try running in
Safe Mode and trying again.

Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc

default wrote:

> I go to the site
> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkle...ember_password
>
> and get a java script window:
>
> Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
> removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
> the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.
>
> Well that don't happen . . .
>
> and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
> .

There is no software. Its not software.

and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
> the remember password button

It should have worked.

> Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
> something else?

No, no, and no.

[SNIP CRAP STUFF]

Then create a bookmark out of the following Javascript:

javascriptfunction(){var ca,cea,cs,df,dfe,i,j,x,y;function
n(i,what){return i+%22
%22+what+((i==1)?%22%22:%22s%22)}ca=cea=cs=0;df=do cument.forms;for(i=0;i<df.length;++i){x=df[i];dfe=x.elements;if(x.onsubmit){x.onsubmit=%22%22;+ +cs;}if(x.attributes[%22autocomplete%22]){x.attributes[%22autocomplete%22].value=%22on%22;++ca;}for(j=0;j<dfe.length;++j){y= dfe[j];if(y.attributes[%22autocomplete%22]){y.attributes[%22autocomplete%22].value=%22on%22;++cea;}}}alert(%22Removed
autocomplete=off from %22+n(ca,%22form%22)+%22 and from
%22+n(cea,%22form element%22)+%22, and removed onsubmit from
%22+n(cs,%22form%22)+%22. After you type your password and submit the
form, the browser will offer to remember your password.%22)})();

Just click on where it says:

javascriptfunction

and drag all the way to the bottom where it says:

password.%22)})();

copy it, then paste it into the bookmark location.

Ed Mullen

>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>> 120,000+ Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>> =----

>> Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
>> subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
>>

> All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
> newsfeeds.com

LOL. Err ... oops!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc

Ed Mullen wrote:

> default wrote:
>
>> I go to the site
>> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkle...ember_password
>>
>> and get a java script window:
>>
>> Removed autocomplete=off from 0 forms and from 0 form elements, and
>> removed onsubmit from 0 forms. After you type your password and submit
>> the form, the browser will offer to remember your password.
>>

> You don't say so but I must assume you clicked on the "remember
> password" button and that produced the javascript message window. That's
> what is supposed to happen. However, that page has no password form so
> you will not see the referenced Firefox password prompt after you click
> OK. You need to invoke the javascript bookmarklet on a page that has a
> password form in it of the sort that the bookmarklet is designed to deal
> with. Note: not all pages requiring passwords use the same method and,
> hence, this bookmarklet will not work on all such pages.
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_bmarks.html
>
>> Well that don't happen . . .
>>
>> and there was no software that I could drag to my personal toolbar . .
>> . and nothing appeared on the toolbar when I tried to drag and drop
>> the remember password button
>>
>> Am I too dense to get it? Using the wrong version of FF (1.0.6)? or
>> something else?
>>

> Bookmarklets work fine for me in FF 1.0.7 and have for many previous
> versions. Exactly where are you trying to drop the "remember password"
> button? I can drag and drop the button onto the Personal Toolbar as
> well as into the bookmarks sidebar, no problem. You may have an
> extension installed that is interfering with drag/drop. Try running in
> Safe Mode and trying again.

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> 120,000+ Newsgroups
>> =----

> Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
> subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html

All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
newsfeeds.com

Jonathan Wolgamuth

It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ppfmp was seen getting all uppity
in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

>> Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
>> subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
>>

> All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
> newsfeeds.com

Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies could
easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there. It's the
replies to his posts that are affected, not his newsfeeds.com posts.

--
Jonathan Wolgamuth [jonwolgamuth(at)gmail(dot)com]

"I'm unique, just like everybody else"

gwtc

Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:

> It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
> (E-Mail Removed)ppfmp was seen getting all uppity
> in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:
>

>>>Please correct your signature so proper newsreaders will strip it from
>>>subsequent replies. http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
>>>

>>All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there by
>>newsfeeds.com

> Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies could
> easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there. It's the
> replies to his posts that are affected, not his newsfeeds.com posts.

they are put there by his server. They are the server taglines.
Everytime he sends out a message, the server adds the tagline.

If you have a Netscape.net webmail account, or a Yahoo mail account,
and if you send a message from within those accounts, then they too
add their own taglines. Yahoo is usually one line, but Netscape's is
about 10 lines long. Hotmail used to do it but I don't see them now.

Jonathan Wolgamuth

It just so happens that on 28 Sep 2005,
(E-Mail Removed)ppfmp was seen getting all
uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

>> It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
>> (E-Mail Removed)ppfmp was seen getting all
>> uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

>>>All that junk is not from his sig file, its automatically put there
>>>by newsfeeds.com

>> Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies
>> could easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there.
>> It's the replies to his posts that are affected, not his
>> newsfeeds.com posts.
>>

> they are put there by his server. They are the server taglines.
> Everytime he sends out a message, the server adds the tagline.
>
> If you have a Netscape.net webmail account, or a Yahoo mail account,
> and if you send a message from within those accounts, then they too
> add their own taglines. Yahoo is usually one line, but Netscape's is
> about 10 lines long. Hotmail used to do it but I don't see them now.

Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

--
Jonathan Wolgamuth [jonwolgamuth(at)gmail(dot)com]

"I'm unique, just like everybody else"

default

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It just so happens that on 28 Sep 2005,
>(E-Mail Removed) was seen getting all
>uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:
>
>>> It just so happens that on 27 Sep 2005,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)ppfmp was seen getting all
>>> uppity in alt.fan.mozilla as evidenced by the following:

>>> Yes, but if his signature above were properly delimited, replies
>>> could easily strip everything below it regardless of what is there.
>>> It's the replies to his posts that are affected, not his
>>> newsfeeds.com posts.
>>>

>> they are put there by his server. They are the server taglines.
>> Everytime he sends out a message, the server adds the tagline.
>>
>> If you have a Netscape.net webmail account, or a Yahoo mail account,
>> and if you send a message from within those accounts, then they too
>> add their own taglines. Yahoo is usually one line, but Netscape's is
>> about 10 lines long. Hotmail used to do it but I don't see them now.
>>

>Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
>good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
>proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

Well we'll see, or you'll see. I added a sig file

default

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:16:09 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
snip

>Agreed. But the server tagline is *below* his signature, no? And a
>good newsreader will strip everything below the signature delimiter. A
>proper delimiter will indeed resolve the problem.

More to this signature stuff than I grok apparently

This space intentionally left blank