Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why won't Firefox 1.0.7 unload?

Why won't Firefox 1.0.7 unload?

B. Peg

If I run a session on Firefox and then exit the session, I find that
clicking on the desktop icon will not start the program again for a new
session.

I go to Task Manager and firefox.exe is still running in the background. If
I End Process firefox.exe in Task Manager then the program will launch
normally form the desktop icon.

How do I get it to unload fully in the first case?

Tia.

B~

Hendrik Maryns

B. Peg schreef:
> If I run a session on Firefox and then exit the session, I find that
> clicking on the desktop icon will not start the program again for a new
> session.
>
> I go to Task Manager and firefox.exe is still running in the background. If
> I End Process firefox.exe in Task Manager then the program will launch
> normally form the desktop icon.
>
> How do I get it to unload fully in the first case?

Try hitting Control+Shift+W in an open window.

--
Hendrik Maryns

==================
www.lieverleven.be
http://aouw.org

gwtc

B. Peg wrote:

> If I run a session on Firefox and then exit the session, I find that
> clicking on the desktop icon will not start the program again for a new
> session.
>
> I go to Task Manager and firefox.exe is still running in the background. If
> I End Process firefox.exe in Task Manager then the program will launch
> normally form the desktop icon.
>
> How do I get it to unload fully in the first case?
>
> Tia.
>
> B~

this problem is becoming a huge PITA. For some reason its not closing
properly. From what I can tell, the problem started with 1.0.6.

You have to end it using the Task Manager, or delete the file
parent.lock from the FF profile directory.

zutroi

gwtc wrote:
>> How do I get it to unload fully in the first case?
>>

> this problem is becoming a huge PITA. For some reason its not closing
> properly. From what I can tell, the problem started with 1.0.6.

yeah, same here. quite often i go to re-run Firefox and it won't run
because of the "sleeping" process in the background... at least i
now know that i'm not the only one...

Ed Mullen

zutroi wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>
>>> How do I get it to unload fully in the first case?
>>>

>> this problem is becoming a huge PITA. For some reason its not closing
>> properly. From what I can tell, the problem started with 1.0.6.

> yeah, same here. quite often i go to re-run Firefox and it won't run
> because of the "sleeping" process in the background... at least i now
> know that i'm not the only one...

Try running in Safe Mode and/or disable all extensions, use FF for an
extended period of time and see if that seems to fix the problem.
Extensions many times produce seemingly odd conficts and problems.

If that doesn't fix it, try running using a new clean profile with no
extensions.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

norm

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:36:30 GMT, zutroi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>gwtc wrote:
>>> How do I get it to unload fully in the first case?
>>>

>> this problem is becoming a huge PITA. For some reason its not closing
>> properly. From what I can tell, the problem started with 1.0.6.

>yeah, same here. quite often i go to re-run Firefox and it won't run
>because of the "sleeping" process in the background... at least i
>now know that i'm not the only one...

Same problem even in Netscape days.