Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > 'Timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.' - Please help.

'Timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.' - Please help.

UJ

We have recently started getting the following error message:

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection
from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in
use and max pool size was reached.

This is on a connection.open command.

Our ISP is providing the web machine and has many customers on it so I can't
really tell if it's us or some other customer that is causing the problem.

They (the ISP) says there's nothing in the event log or the SQL log (but I
don't believe them, we can't get at them.)

Does anybody have any ideas what would be causing this.

The original web site was done by our ASP but then another company made some
changes. I'm not even sure which section of code this is part of. I'll find
out.

But if anybody can give me a direction, it would help greatly.

With that thought - if you don't close a connection on a page, does it get
closed and returned to the pool for you? If not - that seems like that would
be a culprit.

TIA - Jeff.

Hans Kesting

> We have recently started getting the following error message:
>
> Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection
> from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in
> use and max pool size was reached.
>
> This is on a connection.open command.

SNIP
> With that thought - if you don't close a connection on a page, does it get
> closed and returned to the pool for you? If not - that seems like that would
> be a culprit.
>
> TIA - Jeff.

I think it will be closed, when the GarbageCollector eventually cleans
up after you. Best is to close that connection as soon as you are done
with it (and wrap that in a try/finally, so you are *sure* it will be
closed, even if the command failed).

I don't know how that connectionpool is managed. One per machine, one
per application or somewhere inbetween (application pool)? This decides
whether other applications can "steal" your available connections.

Hans Kesting

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Ersin Gençtürk ASP .Net 1 09-25-2007 07:33 AM
Date::Manip hours elapsed not business hours elapsed rutherf Perl Misc 2 10-28-2006 08:05 AM
Urgent: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. VB Programmer ASP .Net 4 01-24-2006 04:48 AM
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached. Guoqi Zheng ASP .Net 4 06-03-2004 06:39 PM
Re: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Bob Johnson ASP .Net 0 08-07-2003 12:52 PM

Advertisments