Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox and Adobe Reader in Web Pages

Firefox and Adobe Reader in Web Pages

Marek Williams

Firefox 1.07, Adobe Reader 6.0

When I click on a link that takes me to a web page that is a PDF, it
opens a new tab, but the PDF file is not displayed. I discovered (by
accident) a sort-of fix -- if I have Adobe Reader running when I
launch Firefox it works. But that is kind of a pain.

Does anyone know how to get PDF files to open in a new tab in Firefox
the way they do in Opera or Internet Explorer (gag)?

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Moz Champion

Marek Williams wrote:
> Firefox 1.07, Adobe Reader 6.0
>
> When I click on a link that takes me to a web page that is a PDF, it
> opens a new tab, but the PDF file is not displayed. I discovered (by
> accident) a sort-of fix -- if I have Adobe Reader running when I
> launch Firefox it works. But that is kind of a pain.
>
> Does anyone know how to get PDF files to open in a new tab in Firefox
> the way they do in Opera or Internet Explorer (gag)?
>
> --
> Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

I use a seperate PDF plug in to get them to display in the browser

ar@x

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n%tZe.311667$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marek Williams wrote:
>> Firefox 1.07, Adobe Reader 6.0
>>
>> When I click on a link that takes me to a web page that is a PDF, it
>> opens a new tab, but the PDF file is not displayed. I discovered (by
>> accident) a sort-of fix -- if I have Adobe Reader running when I
>> launch Firefox it works. But that is kind of a pain. Does anyone know how
>> to get PDF files to open in a new tab in Firefox
>> the way they do in Opera or Internet Explorer (gag)?
>>
>> --
>> Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

> I use a seperate PDF plug in to get them to display in the browser

....and the Extension is called 'PDF Download', latest version 5.1.1
available from:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

works a charm.

--
Kes

Marek Williams

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:59:25 +0200, "ar@x" <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:n%tZe.311667$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Marek Williams wrote:
>>> Firefox 1.07, Adobe Reader 6.0
>>>
>>> When I click on a link that takes me to a web page that is a PDF, it
>>> opens a new tab, but the PDF file is not displayed. I discovered (by
>>> accident) a sort-of fix -- if I have Adobe Reader running when I
>>> launch Firefox it works. But that is kind of a pain. Does anyone know how
>>> to get PDF files to open in a new tab in Firefox
>>> the way they do in Opera or Internet Explorer (gag)?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

>> I use a seperate PDF plug in to get them to display in the browser

>...and the Extension is called 'PDF Download', latest version 5.1.1
>available from:
>https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox
>
>works a charm.

Thanks for the information. But it still doesn't work.

I installed PDF Download, closed Firefox, restarted it, went to a web
page I know had PDFs on it, clicked on a link (selecting "Open in a
new tab"). It opened a new tab, the tab said "done," and nothing was
displayed. Same as before.

Any other suggestions?

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Leonidas Jones

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:59:25 +0200, "ar@x" <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:
>
>> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:n%tZe.311667$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I use a seperate PDF plug in to get them to display in the browser

>> ...and the Extension is called 'PDF Download', latest version 5.1.1
>> available from:
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox
>>
>> works a charm.

> Thanks for the information. But it still doesn't work.
>
> I installed PDF Download, closed Firefox, restarted it, went to a web
> page I know had PDFs on it, clicked on a link (selecting "Open in a
> new tab"). It opened a new tab, the tab said "done," and nothing was
> displayed. Same as before.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> --
> Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

As a test, go to:

Tools>>Options>>Downloads

Click the Plugins button under File Types. Disable the PDF plugin.

Navigate to a PDF on the web and click on it. You should get a dialog
to either open it or save it. Choose open with the system default.

If the PDF opens the file outside of FF, the problem is with FF. If it
doesn't, the problem is with the Reader.

Lee

Marek Williams

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:13:48 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
dijo:

>> Thanks for the information. But it still doesn't work.
>>
>> I installed PDF Download, closed Firefox, restarted it, went to a web
>> page I know had PDFs on it, clicked on a link (selecting "Open in a
>> new tab"). It opened a new tab, the tab said "done," and nothing was
>> displayed. Same as before.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?

>As a test, go to:
>
>Tools>>Options>>Downloads
>
>Click the Plugins button under File Types. Disable the PDF plugin.
>
>Navigate to a PDF on the web and click on it. You should get a dialog
>to either open it or save it. Choose open with the system default.
>
>If the PDF opens the file outside of FF, the problem is with FF. If it
>doesn't, the problem is with the Reader.

OK, I did that. I have several sites bookmarked that are really PDFs.
I went to one and Firefox asked me if I wanted to open it or save it
to disk. The "open" option was selected by default, and the dialog box
had AcroExch selected. I clicked on OK and it opened it in Reader
outside of Firefox. From previous experience, if I chose save to disk
it would just save it to the default location on my hard disk.

I tried this with several sites that I know are PDFs. Same results
each time.

So this must mean the problem is with Firefox. How do I fix it?

--

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:13:48 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> dijo:
>
>>> Thanks for the information. But it still doesn't work.
>>>
>>> I installed PDF Download, closed Firefox, restarted it, went to a web
>>> page I know had PDFs on it, clicked on a link (selecting "Open in a
>>> new tab"). It opened a new tab, the tab said "done," and nothing was
>>> displayed. Same as before.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions?

>> As a test, go to:
>>
>> Tools>>Options>>Downloads
>>
>> Click the Plugins button under File Types. Disable the PDF plugin.
>>
>> Navigate to a PDF on the web and click on it. You should get a dialog
>> to either open it or save it. Choose open with the system default.
>>
>> If the PDF opens the file outside of FF, the problem is with FF. If it
>> doesn't, the problem is with the Reader.

> OK, I did that. I have several sites bookmarked that are really PDFs.
> I went to one and Firefox asked me if I wanted to open it or save it
> to disk. The "open" option was selected by default, and the dialog box
> had AcroExch selected. I clicked on OK and it opened it in Reader
> outside of Firefox. From previous experience, if I chose save to disk
> it would just save it to the default location on my hard disk.
>
> I tried this with several sites that I know are PDFs. Same results
> each time.
>
> So this must mean the problem is with Firefox. How do I fix it?
>
> --
> Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

Okay, enable the plugin again, and see what aboutlugins has to say
about Adobe.

Lee

Marek Williams

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:33:13 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
dijo:

>Marek Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:13:48 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> dijo:

>>> As a test, go to:
>>>
>>> Tools>>Options>>Downloads
>>>
>>> Click the Plugins button under File Types. Disable the PDF plugin.
>>>
>>> Navigate to a PDF on the web and click on it. You should get a dialog
>>> to either open it or save it. Choose open with the system default.
>>>
>>> If the PDF opens the file outside of FF, the problem is with FF. If it
>>> doesn't, the problem is with the Reader.

>> OK, I did that. I have several sites bookmarked that are really PDFs.
>> I went to one and Firefox asked me if I wanted to open it or save it
>> to disk. The "open" option was selected by default, and the dialog box
>> had AcroExch selected. I clicked on OK and it opened it in Reader
>> outside of Firefox. From previous experience, if I chose save to disk
>> it would just save it to the default location on my hard disk.
>>
>> I tried this with several sites that I know are PDFs. Same results
>> each time.
>>
>> So this must mean the problem is with Firefox. How do I fix it?

>Okay, enable the plugin again, and see what aboutlugins has to say
>about Adobe.

Ummm, big problem. The PDF plugin is no longer listed. I guess when I
disabled it, it went away. I click on "Plugins" and it lists a lot of
file types, but PDF is no longer there. I poked all over the place,
but I can't find any way to add it back.

--

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:33:13 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> dijo:
>
>> Marek Williams wrote:
>>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:13:48 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> dijo:

>>> OK, I did that. I have several sites bookmarked that are really PDFs.
>>> I went to one and Firefox asked me if I wanted to open it or save it
>>> to disk. The "open" option was selected by default, and the dialog box
>>> had AcroExch selected. I clicked on OK and it opened it in Reader
>>> outside of Firefox. From previous experience, if I chose save to disk
>>> it would just save it to the default location on my hard disk.
>>>
>>> I tried this with several sites that I know are PDFs. Same results
>>> each time.
>>>
>>> So this must mean the problem is with Firefox. How do I fix it?

>> Okay, enable the plugin again, and see what aboutlugins has to say
>> about Adobe.

> Ummm, big problem. The PDF plugin is no longer listed. I guess when I
> disabled it, it went away. I click on "Plugins" and it lists a lot of
> file types, but PDF is no longer there. I poked all over the place,
> but I can't find any way to add it back.

Hm, that's odd. I disabled the PDF plugin quite a while ago, since I
prefer PDF's to display outside the browser. I just checked:

Tools>>Options>>Downloads

and clicked the plugins button. PDF sits there, waiting to be reenabled.

Did you click the Plugins button?

Lee

Marek Williams

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 03:20:05 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
dijo:

>Marek Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:33:13 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> dijo:

>>> Okay, enable the plugin again, and see what aboutlugins has to say
>>> about Adobe.

>> Ummm, big problem. The PDF plugin is no longer listed. I guess when I
>> disabled it, it went away. I click on "Plugins" and it lists a lot of
>> file types, but PDF is no longer there. I poked all over the place,
>> but I can't find any way to add it back.

>Hm, that's odd. I disabled the PDF plugin quite a while ago, since I
>prefer PDF's to display outside the browser. I just checked:
>
>Tools>>Options>>Downloads
>
>and clicked the plugins button. PDF sits there, waiting to be reenabled.
>
>Did you click the Plugins button?

Yep. Tried all kinds of buttons. It's not there and I can't find any
way to add it to the list.

When I click on Plugins I get a list containing:

DIR
FDF
ODB
ODF
ODG
ODM
ODP
ODS
ODT
OTH
RPM
SDA
SDC
SDD
SDP
SDS
SDL
SMF
SPL
SWF
SXC
SXD
SXG
SXI
SXM
SXW
VOR
XDP Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package
XFD Adobe Forms Client Data File
XFDF Adobe Acrobat Forms Document

All of the above are shown as enabled (blue checkmark to the right).

Most of the above list deal with StarOffice and a few for other
programs. I didn't type in the descriptions of these in the above
list. I typed in the description of the last three because they have
something to do with Acrobat Reader. "PDF" is simply not on the list.
"PDF" *was* on the list before I disabled it.

In the previous window (the one with the Plugins button on it) there
is a window with a scroll bar showing actions to be performed on
different file types. There are two listed: RPM (download always) and
DOC (Open with soffice.exe). The window with the scroll bar is not
editable. That is, there is a button for Change Action and a button
for Remove, but no button for Add. Evidently those two got put in
there some other way, but I don't recall how. I do recall once having
a problem downloading an RPM file (a program package for my Linux
computer) and I did something to stop Firefox from trying to launch
it. And I probably am the reason the DOC file type is in there --
because I do have Word 2000 still installed on this computer, but no
way would I ever want it to open a file from the internet. In fact, I
haven't launched Word in over a year. Again, I don't recall how I got
that DOC entry in there. There must be a dialog box somewhere else,
but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.