Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Fussy Firefox

Fussy Firefox

IRC Monkey

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Firefox is too fussy and
loads of ballache compared with Mozilla Suite, which in contrast is a
real jem. Sleek and concise. Obviously both are preferable to Mr Gates'
abomination IE6, bit I still think there's just too much faff to
Firefox. Does anyone else agree or is it just me...?

Ed Mullen

IRC Monkey wrote:
> Is it just me or does anyone else think that Firefox is too fussy and
> loads of ballache compared with Mozilla Suite, which in contrast is a
> real jem. Sleek and concise. Obviously both are preferable to Mr Gates'
> abomination IE6, bit I still think there's just too much faff to
> Firefox. Does anyone else agree or is it just me...?

Fear not, you are not alone.

http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

false-name@false-account.net

IRC Monkey wrote:
> Is it just me or does anyone else think that Firefox is too fussy and
> loads of ballache compared with Mozilla Suite, which in contrast is a
> real jem. Sleek and concise. Obviously both are preferable to Mr Gates'
> abomination IE6, bit I still think there's just too much faff to
> Firefox. Does anyone else agree or is it just me...?

so what do you feel that Mozilla Suite does better than Firefox ?

not flaming - just curious

Ed Mullen

> IRC Monkey wrote:
>
>> Is it just me or does anyone else think that Firefox is too fussy and
>> loads of ballache compared with Mozilla Suite, which in contrast is a
>> real jem. Sleek and concise. Obviously both are preferable to Mr Gates'
>> abomination IE6, bit I still think there's just too much faff to
>> Firefox. Does anyone else agree or is it just me...?

> so what do you feel that Mozilla Suite does better than Firefox ?
>
> not flaming - just curious

Understood, no flames necessary.

Some thoughts are on the page link I noted previously:

http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html

In brief, but more detail on my site, and just MHO:

- too much was stripped from the Firefox (and Thunderbird) UI in the way
of user settings, leaving FF "simpler" for "average users" but much
harder to setup and maintain. Witness all the questions here and other
forums. Instead of pointing people to menu choices we've got to explain
all about "about:config". and you need to install an extension to get
"about:config" in TB. Not user-friendly IMHO.

- Disintegration of the apps. FF and Thunderbird are OK as far as they
go presently but there is little or no tie-in of UI, functionality,
look-and-feel, etc. Again, design-wise it may have made some sense for
targeted users who only wanted one or the other. But dealing with two
separate apps ultimately complicates things, again, IMHO. Especially
for novice/average users who the knowledgeable of us must support in one
fashion or another.

- FF and TB "broke" perfectly good functionality that exists in the
Suite. A prime example is Sidebars. The apps have been simplified via
lobotomy.

If Mozilla.Org had put the same big push on updating and marketing the
Suite as it did to develop FF and TB, I personally think things would be
much better, and much further along. The Foundation spread itself thin
(witness the abandonment of the Suite) with the inevitable result.
Sure, FF is getting lots of press. And lots of valid criticism. It's
still half-baked. Stick a toothpick in it, it ain't done by a long
shot. And the Suite, ignored and shuttled aside, at version 1.7.11
still kicks it's butt overall.

Again, just one goofball's opinion.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc

Ed Mullen wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> IRC Monkey wrote:
>>
>>> Is it just me or does anyone else think that Firefox is too fussy and
>>> loads of ballache compared with Mozilla Suite, which in contrast is a
>>> real jem. Sleek and concise. Obviously both are preferable to Mr Gates'
>>> abomination IE6, bit I still think there's just too much faff to
>>> Firefox. Does anyone else agree or is it just me...?

>> so what do you feel that Mozilla Suite does better than Firefox ?
>>
>> not flaming - just curious
>>

> Understood, no flames necessary.
>
> Some thoughts are on the page link I noted previously:
>
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html
>
> In brief, but more detail on my site, and just MHO:
>
> - too much was stripped from the Firefox (and Thunderbird) UI in the way
> of user settings, leaving FF "simpler" for "average users" but much
> harder to setup and maintain. Witness all the questions here and other
> forums. Instead of pointing people to menu choices we've got to explain
> all about "about:config". and you need to install an extension to get
> "about:config" in TB. Not user-friendly IMHO.
>
> - Disintegration of the apps. FF and Thunderbird are OK as far as they
> go presently but there is little or no tie-in of UI, functionality,
> look-and-feel, etc. Again, design-wise it may have made some sense for
> targeted users who only wanted one or the other. But dealing with two
> separate apps ultimately complicates things, again, IMHO. Especially
> for novice/average users who the knowledgeable of us must support in one
> fashion or another.
>
> - FF and TB "broke" perfectly good functionality that exists in the
> Suite. A prime example is Sidebars. The apps have been simplified via
> lobotomy.
>
> If Mozilla.Org had put the same big push on updating and marketing the
> Suite as it did to develop FF and TB, I personally think things would be
> much better, and much further along. The Foundation spread itself thin
> (witness the abandonment of the Suite) with the inevitable result. Sure,
> FF is getting lots of press. And lots of valid criticism. It's still
> half-baked. Stick a toothpick in it, it ain't done by a long shot. And
> the Suite, ignored and shuttled aside, at version 1.7.11 still kicks
> it's butt overall.
>
> Again, just one goofball's opinion.

The other thing is that to get FF and TB to act like The Suite, you
need to install lots of extensions, and all these extensions could add
problems down the road.

So, long live the Suite -- errr, rather now its SeaMonkey!!!!

IRC Monkey

I dont think Mozilla Suite 1.7.12 does anything better than Firefox &
Thunderbird, its just that when I was using Firefox & Thunderbird I
spent a lot of my spare time messing about with extentions and add-ons
and settings and so on, where as with Mozilla Suite, the only "Messing"
I do is downloading the latest version due to security issues. I cant
remember the last time I spent any time "Messing" with Mozilla
Suite....
IMHO Mozilla Suite has got to be the most complete browser ever and
believe me having spent a lot of time testing various browsers with the
likes of Opera & IE (including ALL of the IE copy browsers - you know
the ones, its where the designers cant be bothered to design their own
platform but merely steal Mr Gates' ideas and tart them up in pretty
colours and claim them as their own).

Ed Mullen

gwtc wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> so what do you feel that Mozilla Suite does better than Firefox ?
>>>
>>> not flaming - just curious
>>>

>> Understood, no flames necessary.
>>
>> Some thoughts are on the page link I noted previously:
>>
>> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html
>>
>> In brief, but more detail on my site, and just MHO:
>>
>> - too much was stripped from the Firefox (and Thunderbird) UI in the
>> way of user settings, leaving FF "simpler" for "average users" but
>> much harder to setup and maintain. Witness all the questions here and
>> other forums. Instead of pointing people to menu choices we've got to
>> explain all about "about:config". and you need to install an extension
>> to get "about:config" in TB. Not user-friendly IMHO.
>>
>> - Disintegration of the apps. FF and Thunderbird are OK as far as
>> they go presently but there is little or no tie-in of UI,
>> functionality, look-and-feel, etc. Again, design-wise it may have
>> made some sense for targeted users who only wanted one or the other.
>> But dealing with two separate apps ultimately complicates things,
>> again, IMHO. Especially for novice/average users who the
>> knowledgeable of us must support in one fashion or another.
>>
>> - FF and TB "broke" perfectly good functionality that exists in the
>> Suite. A prime example is Sidebars. The apps have been simplified
>> via lobotomy.
>>
>> If Mozilla.Org had put the same big push on updating and marketing the
>> Suite as it did to develop FF and TB, I personally think things would
>> be much better, and much further along. The Foundation spread itself
>> thin (witness the abandonment of the Suite) with the inevitable
>> result. Sure, FF is getting lots of press. And lots of valid
>> criticism. It's still half-baked. Stick a toothpick in it, it ain't
>> done by a long shot. And the Suite, ignored and shuttled aside, at
>> version 1.7.11 still kicks it's butt overall.
>>
>> Again, just one goofball's opinion.
>>

> The other thing is that to get FF and TB to act like The Suite, you need
> to install lots of extensions, and all these extensions could add
> problems down the road.
>
> So, long live the Suite -- errr, rather now its SeaMonkey!!!!

Couldn't agree more; the extension concept is great but if you have to
install a bunch of them to match the functionality of the Suite the
arguments about small footprint, simplicity, and ease-of-use pretty much
are negated. FF does have better extension management, I'll give it
that. But it's still something that the user has to manage especially
when upgrading.

I do use a few extensions in the Suite for *extra* functionality but I
use the same ones in FF which levels the comparison yet again.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Jim Scott

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:22:44 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Understood, no flames necessary.
>>>
>>> Some thoughts are on the page link I noted previously:
>>>
>>> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html
>>>
>>> In brief, but more detail on my site, and just MHO:
>>>
>>> - too much was stripped from the Firefox (and Thunderbird) UI in the
>>> way of user settings, leaving FF "simpler" for "average users" but
>>> much harder to setup and maintain. Witness all the questions here and
>>> other forums. Instead of pointing people to menu choices we've got to
>>> explain all about "about:config". and you need to install an extension
>>> to get "about:config" in TB. Not user-friendly IMHO.
>>>
>>> - Disintegration of the apps. FF and Thunderbird are OK as far as
>>> they go presently but there is little or no tie-in of UI,
>>> functionality, look-and-feel, etc. Again, design-wise it may have
>>> made some sense for targeted users who only wanted one or the other.
>>> But dealing with two separate apps ultimately complicates things,
>>> again, IMHO. Especially for novice/average users who the
>>> knowledgeable of us must support in one fashion or another.
>>>
>>> - FF and TB "broke" perfectly good functionality that exists in the
>>> Suite. A prime example is Sidebars. The apps have been simplified
>>> via lobotomy.
>>>
>>> If Mozilla.Org had put the same big push on updating and marketing the
>>> Suite as it did to develop FF and TB, I personally think things would
>>> be much better, and much further along. The Foundation spread itself
>>> thin (witness the abandonment of the Suite) with the inevitable
>>> result. Sure, FF is getting lots of press. And lots of valid
>>> criticism. It's still half-baked. Stick a toothpick in it, it ain't
>>> done by a long shot. And the Suite, ignored and shuttled aside, at
>>> version 1.7.11 still kicks it's butt overall.
>>>
>>> Again, just one goofball's opinion.
>>>

>> The other thing is that to get FF and TB to act like The Suite, you need
>> to install lots of extensions, and all these extensions could add
>> problems down the road.
>>
>> So, long live the Suite -- errr, rather now its SeaMonkey!!!!

> Couldn't agree more; the extension concept is great but if you have to
> install a bunch of them to match the functionality of the Suite the
> arguments about small footprint, simplicity, and ease-of-use pretty much
> are negated. FF does have better extension management, I'll give it
> that. But it's still something that the user has to manage especially
> when upgrading.
>
> I do use a few extensions in the Suite for *extra* functionality but I
> use the same ones in FF which levels the comparison yet again.

I normally use FF and when I say this to friends they show interest, but to
be honest most of them couldn't cope with the concept of extensions to do
things that IE does out of the box. Opera is attracting me for this reason,
but even that needs tweaking. I end up recommending one of the 'shells'
(Avant usually) to those who want tabbed browsing without understanding
what they are really doing.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Leonidas Jones

Ed Mullen wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Understood, no flames necessary.
>>>
>>> Some thoughts are on the page link I noted previously:
>>>
>>> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/seamonkey.html
>>>
>>> In brief, but more detail on my site, and just MHO:
>>>
>>> - too much was stripped from the Firefox (and Thunderbird) UI in the
>>> way of user settings, leaving FF "simpler" for "average users" but
>>> much harder to setup and maintain. Witness all the questions here
>>> and other forums. Instead of pointing people to menu choices we've
>>> got to explain all about "about:config". and you need to install an
>>> extension to get "about:config" in TB. Not user-friendly IMHO.
>>>
>>> - Disintegration of the apps. FF and Thunderbird are OK as far as
>>> they go presently but there is little or no tie-in of UI,
>>> functionality, look-and-feel, etc. Again, design-wise it may have
>>> made some sense for targeted users who only wanted one or the other.
>>> But dealing with two separate apps ultimately complicates things,
>>> again, IMHO. Especially for novice/average users who the
>>> knowledgeable of us must support in one fashion or another.
>>>
>>> - FF and TB "broke" perfectly good functionality that exists in the
>>> Suite. A prime example is Sidebars. The apps have been simplified
>>> via lobotomy.
>>>
>>> If Mozilla.Org had put the same big push on updating and marketing
>>> the Suite as it did to develop FF and TB, I personally think things
>>> would be much better, and much further along. The Foundation spread
>>> itself thin (witness the abandonment of the Suite) with the
>>> inevitable result. Sure, FF is getting lots of press. And lots of
>>> valid criticism. It's still half-baked. Stick a toothpick in it, it
>>> ain't done by a long shot. And the Suite, ignored and shuttled
>>> aside, at version 1.7.11 still kicks it's butt overall.
>>>
>>> Again, just one goofball's opinion.
>>>

>> The other thing is that to get FF and TB to act like The Suite, you
>> need to install lots of extensions, and all these extensions could add
>> problems down the road.
>>
>> So, long live the Suite -- errr, rather now its SeaMonkey!!!!

> Couldn't agree more; the extension concept is great but if you have to
> install a bunch of them to match the functionality of the Suite the
> arguments about small footprint, simplicity, and ease-of-use pretty much
> are negated. FF does have better extension management, I'll give it
> that. But it's still something that the user has to manage especially
> when upgrading.
>
> I do use a few extensions in the Suite for *extra* functionality but I
> use the same ones in FF which levels the comparison yet again.

Ed, I'd be interested in knowing which extensions you find add
functionality to Moz/Seamonkey. I've got:

Prefbar
Web Developer's Toolbar
Home Button
Extension Manager 2.0

I have TBE on, but I'm beginning to sense that the native tabbed
browsing has improved enough that I don't really need it.

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> The other thing is that to get FF and TB to act like The Suite, you
>>> need to install lots of extensions, and all these extensions could
>>> add problems down the road.
>>>
>>> So, long live the Suite -- errr, rather now its SeaMonkey!!!!

>> Couldn't agree more; the extension concept is great but if you have to
>> install a bunch of them to match the functionality of the Suite the
>> arguments about small footprint, simplicity, and ease-of-use pretty
>> much are negated. FF does have better extension management, I'll give
>> it that. But it's still something that the user has to manage
>> especially when upgrading.
>>
>> I do use a few extensions in the Suite for *extra* functionality but I
>> use the same ones in FF which levels the comparison yet again.
>>

> Ed, I'd be interested in knowing which extensions you find add
> functionality to Moz/Seamonkey. I've got:
>
> Prefbar
> Web Developer's Toolbar
> Home Button
> Extension Manager 2.0
>
> I have TBE on, but I'm beginning to sense that the native tabbed
> browsing has improved enough that I don't really need it.
>
> Lee

For me its Multizilla, and the old version of Extension Uninstaller.