Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Javascript/browser? very slow on my computer!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Javascript/browser? very slow on my computer!!

 
 
Albert Grennock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that menu.
(normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got lucky'
last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.

However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser, Mozilla
Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
open
each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
unbearable
slow Internet Explorer operation.

Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
bits
which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
javescript
because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
browser
which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now seems
IE may just be slower at eveything.
For example
Clicking on 'specification' or 'key features' has similar 15 second against
2-3 seconds in the respective browsers.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...m=19&sm=5&tm=1

Then again I tried another slow page in IE, which turned out to be miles
slower
in Firefox, so I am rather confused!!

http://home.skysports.com/optastats....+United&cpid=8

Yep that page is painfully slow in Firefox and also the graphics are a bit
screwed up,
it also reloads the page unnecessarilly.

Help!!!!!!!!

Just to add to the confussion I have the full google toolbar on IE but just
a small google
serachbox on Firefox. (wondered if it might be related to that but probably
another read herring.
My computer is pretty old, Cyrix MII 300, 128meg ram IE 6.0, Firefox 1.0.4

So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can sort it
out ;;O)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Albert Grennock wrote:
> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
>
> Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
> menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
> I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that menu.
> (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got lucky'
> last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
>
> However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser, Mozilla
> Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
> open
> each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
> unbearable
> slow Internet Explorer operation.
>
> Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
> bits
> which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
> javescript
> because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
> browser
> which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now seems
> IE may just be slower at eveything.
> For example
> Clicking on 'specification' or 'key features' has similar 15 second against
> 2-3 seconds in the respective browsers.
>
> http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...m=19&sm=5&tm=1
>
> Then again I tried another slow page in IE, which turned out to be miles
> slower
> in Firefox, so I am rather confused!!
>
> http://home.skysports.com/optastats....+United&cpid=8
>
> Yep that page is painfully slow in Firefox and also the graphics are a bit
> screwed up,
> it also reloads the page unnecessarilly.
>
> Help!!!!!!!!
>
> Just to add to the confussion I have the full google toolbar on IE but just
> a small google
> serachbox on Firefox. (wondered if it might be related to that but probably
> another read herring.
> My computer is pretty old, Cyrix MII 300, 128meg ram IE 6.0, Firefox 1.0.4
>
> So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can sort it
> out ;;O)
>
>

Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Albert Grennock wrote:
> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
>
> Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
> menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
> I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that menu.
> (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got lucky'
> last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
>
> However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser, Mozilla
> Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
> open
> each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
> unbearable
> slow Internet Explorer operation.


Most likely the site has a slow server and the browsers are using cached
data differently.

>
> Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
> bits
> which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
> javescript
> because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
> browser
> which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now seems
> IE may just be slower at eveything.


It indicates only that whoever coded the page is clueless. It doesn't
work at all if JavaScript is disabled.

[...]

>
> So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can sort it
> out ;;O)


No, the problems are many and varied - attempting to validate the HTML
generates hundreds of errors. Many are trivial, but some aren't:

'Line 1794 column 95: element "SPACER" undefined"
...=122 class=wh-level1BottomGap><spacer></td></tr>'


Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.


--
Rob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary S. Terhune
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dGKXe.279269$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Albert Grennock wrote:
>> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

<SNIP>
> Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.


Please snip replies. Also, what Albert did is called "cross-posting", which
allows the OP to address the question to more than one appropriate newsgroup and
is perfectly acceptable, within reason. "Multi-posting" is posting the same
message to different NGs as individual messages. The advantage of cross-posting
is that once it's been read in one group, it's marked "Read" in all groups.
Also, all answers appear in all groups (usually) and thus there's less repeating
of answers.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User


 
Reply With Quote
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Moz Champion said the following on 9/19/2005 10:42 PM:

> Albert Grennock wrote:
>
>> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.


<--snip-->

>>
>>

> Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.


This post was not multi-posted, it was cross-posted. Cross-posting is
100% better than multi-posting and cross-posting is generally accepted
whereas multi-posting is frowned upon.

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
 
Reply With Quote
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dGKXe.279269$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Albert Grennock wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.

>
>
> Please snip replies. Also, what Albert did is called "cross-posting",
> which allows the OP to address the question to more than one appropriate
> newsgroup and is perfectly acceptable, within reason. "Multi-posting" is
> posting the same message to different NGs as individual messages. The
> advantage of cross-posting is that once it's been read in one group,
> it's marked "Read" in all groups. Also, all answers appear in all groups
> (usually) and thus there's less repeating of answers.
>

You may have the time to re-read each post in a thread to find out whats
been asked/answered/done/not done/settings/etc. I dont.

Snip and its Later Gator!
night

TB and Mozilla dont mark messages read in multiple groups.
in any case discussion is over, I'm out of here, I dont participate in
threads which Ihave to re-read over and over again just to find out
whats going on, I dont have that time.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary S. Terhune
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005
OK, Bye.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZDLXe.60489$(E-Mail Removed)...
> TB and Mozilla dont mark messages read in multiple groups.
> in any case discussion is over, I'm out of here, I dont participate in threads
> which Ihave to re-read over and over again just to find out whats going on, I
> dont have that time.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Grennock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005

"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dGKXe.279269$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Albert Grennock wrote:
> > Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
> >
> > Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
> > menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
> > I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that

menu.
> > (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got

lucky'
> > last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
> >
> > However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser,

Mozilla
> > Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
> > open
> > each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
> > unbearable
> > slow Internet Explorer operation.
> >
> > Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
> > bits
> > which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
> > javescript
> > because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
> > browser
> > which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now

seems
> > IE may just be slower at eveything.
> > For example
> > Clicking on 'specification' or 'key features' has similar 15 second

against
> > 2-3 seconds in the respective browsers.
> >
> >

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...m=19&sm=5&tm=1
> >
> > Then again I tried another slow page in IE, which turned out to be miles
> > slower
> > in Firefox, so I am rather confused!!
> >
> >

http://home.skysports.com/optastats....+United&cpid=8
> >
> > Yep that page is painfully slow in Firefox and also the graphics are a

bit
> > screwed up,
> > it also reloads the page unnecessarilly.
> >
> > Help!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Just to add to the confussion I have the full google toolbar on IE but

just
> > a small google
> > serachbox on Firefox. (wondered if it might be related to that but

probably
> > another read herring.
> > My computer is pretty old, Cyrix MII 300, 128meg ram IE 6.0, Firefox

1.0.4
> >
> > So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can

sort it
> > out ;;O)
> >
> >

> Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.



Hey mate, please mind your own business and get a life.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Grennock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2005

"RobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eWKXe.528$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Albert Grennock wrote:
> > Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
> >
> > Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
> > menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
> > I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that

menu.
> > (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got

lucky'
> > last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
> >
> > However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser,

Mozilla
> > Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
> > open
> > each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
> > unbearable
> > slow Internet Explorer operation.

>
> Most likely the site has a slow server and the browsers are using cached
> data differently.



Not sure about that, my PC is at 100% CPU during the wait.

>
> >
> > Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
> > bits
> > which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
> > javescript
> > because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
> > browser
> > which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now

seems
> > IE may just be slower at eveything.

>
> It indicates only that whoever coded the page is clueless. It doesn't
> work at all if JavaScript is disabled.
>
> [...]
>
> >
> > So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can

sort it
> > out ;;O)

>
> No, the problems are many and varied - attempting to validate the HTML
> generates hundreds of errors. Many are trivial, but some aren't:
>
> 'Line 1794 column 95: element "SPACER" undefined"
> ...=122 class=wh-level1BottomGap><spacer></td></tr>'
>
>
> Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
> were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
> them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.
>

I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.

I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
a worrying though.
Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.

>
> --
> Rob



 
Reply With Quote
 
RobG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2005
Albert Grennock wrote:
> "RobG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eWKXe.528$(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]
>>
>>Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
>>were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
>>them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.
>>

>
> I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
> My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
> to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.
>
> I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
> a worrying though.
> Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
> so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
> Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.


You mean that happens to other people too?

Is it perverse to say your tale of woe makes my day?

--
Rob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very very very basic question Peter C Programming 14 02-14-2005 09:46 AM
very very very long integer shanx__=|;- C Programming 19 10-19-2004 03:55 PM
very very very long integer Abhishek Jha C Programming 4 10-17-2004 08:19 AM
Quick Book file access very very very slow Thomas Reed Computer Support 7 04-09-2004 08:09 PM
very Very VERY dumb Question About The new Set( ) 's Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III Python 4 07-27-2003 12:09 AM



Advertisments