Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Macro to Export All Mail in a Subdirectory to .txt Format?

Macro to Export All Mail in a Subdirectory to .txt Format?

Elisa Francesca Roselli

Hello all,

I have no experience at all programming macros in Thunderbird and am
more or less new to the program. I got tired of all the viruses that
were attacking Outlook. Also I'm thinking of accessing mail from a Linux
partition in order to avoid further viruses.

But one thing I did like about recent versions of Outlook was that it
was possible to write little macros in elementary VB. I had one that did
a really vital function, export all the mail in a directory to text format.

In Thunderbird, I currently must go into my directory, select and open
my messages one by one, go into the file menu, select "Save as", rename
the message to a significant name including the date and specify the
save format as text. This is a huge bother. I want to rip whole
directories containing thousands of messages to text format so that they
can be zipped and archived on CD-ROM and remain readable in any program
and OS and searchable by keyword.

So, can I do this in Thunderbird? I'm not a hardcore geekess but I have
a little experience in VBA programming. Many thanks for beginner level