Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > What file does Thunderbird use for keeping track of articles?

What file does Thunderbird use for keeping track of articles?

Larry Spitz

I have been having some problems over the past few days in that although
I see traffic on some newsgroups, I see none on some others, eg
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I, at first presumed that it was a
problem with my server: news.xtra.co.nz.

I posted a test message to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and it
showed up, so the server is not completely brain-damaged. I went to
check .newsrc to see if there was something strange in the entry for
that newsgroup.

I was surprised to find that .newsrc had not been changed since August
26, though I read news at least once a day and some newsgroups seem to
be behaving normally.

So I have two questions, one of which may not be appropriate for this
newsgroup:

Can anyone tell me how I could have no traffic on some newsgroups and
not on others? I know that there has been activity since I can check
usenet-replayer
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...odworking.html

Where does Thunderbird keep its "log"? (I do also have a .jnewsrc left
over from my days of using slrn.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry

Moz Champion

Larry Spitz wrote:
> I have been having some problems over the past few days in that although
> I see traffic on some newsgroups, I see none on some others, eg
> alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I, at first presumed that it was a
> problem with my server: news.xtra.co.nz.
>
> I posted a test message to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and it
> showed up, so the server is not completely brain-damaged. I went to
> check .newsrc to see if there was something strange in the entry for
> that newsgroup.
>
> I was surprised to find that .newsrc had not been changed since August
> 26, though I read news at least once a day and some newsgroups seem to
> be behaving normally.
>
> So I have two questions, one of which may not be appropriate for this
> newsgroup:
>
> Can anyone tell me how I could have no traffic on some newsgroups and
> not on others? I know that there has been activity since I can check
> usenet-replayer
> http://www.usenet-replayer.com/group...odworking.html
>

> Where does Thunderbird keep its "log"? (I do also have a .jnewsrc left
> over from my days of using slrn.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Larry

Newsgroup traffic depends entirely on how many current users there are
and how active they are. Some groups 'activity' can vary widely, going
from zero messages in a week (or a month) to dozens, even hundreds a day
and then declining to near zero again. Some groups are 'moribund' and
dont really see any meaningful traffic, but then explode into a frenzy
of activity over some issue or post.

For example, you read the newsgroup, did you post at all in them? Maybe
everyone else was simply reading them, like you, waiting for somebody
else to post.

Each server may or may not be directly tied to the usenet feed, the feed
may have lapsed. If the group is active on one server, but not on
another, then perhaps the server no longer is accessing that group.
Suggest you find a server that updates the group and keeps current.

What do you mean by log?

keeping track of threads xzzy ASP .Net 2 10-06-2005 05:44 PM
Need help keeping track of users "online" (i.e. viewing the web si =?Utf-8?B?dHBlcnJp?= ASP .Net 4 07-12-2005 08:40 AM
Keeping track of controls in a DataGrid Manuel ASP .Net 1 12-11-2004 01:37 AM
Opinions on keeping track of simple web stats with MS SQL Server/ASP.NET Utter Newbie ASP .Net 0 07-28-2003 09:01 PM
Keeping track of which user controls need to be loaded and which not John ASP .Net 0 07-08-2003 09:26 AM

Advertisments