Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > dll getting locked in referencing project's bin

dll getting locked in referencing project's bin

TS

in my web project's bin folder, the dll, that comes from a project reference
of a class library in same solution, can't be deleted. it says it has a
sharing violation. i also cannot delete the .projdata file in the class
library's obj directory. This is causing updates to the class library not
getting seen in the web app.

i ran filemon and it just says sharing violation but i dont' know why. i'm
sure by closing & re-opening VS.net it will fix it, but i don't want to
always have to do that. i've killed the worker process and restarted iis and
they dont' help.

What do i do?

Also, what is the obj directory for?

thanks a bunch!

William LaMartin

Have you killed the aspnet process?

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OSM$(E-Mail Removed)...
> in my web project's bin folder, the dll, that comes from a project
> reference of a class library in same solution, can't be deleted. it says
> it has a sharing violation. i also cannot delete the .projdata file in the
> class library's obj directory. This is causing updates to the class
> library not getting seen in the web app.
>
> i ran filemon and it just says sharing violation but i dont' know why. i'm
> sure by closing & re-opening VS.net it will fix it, but i don't want to
> always have to do that. i've killed the worker process and restarted iis
> and they dont' help.
>
> What do i do?
>

> Also, what is the obj directory for?
>
> thanks a bunch!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi TS,

As for the class library project's output assembly, is it strong-named?
Based on my experience, since strong-named assemblly is not copied to
client application(which reference it)'s local location, and when the
application use it do not shadow copy it , there will occur such locking
issue. Also, ASP.NET web application won't shadow copy strong-named
assembly, therefore if this is the case, you can try remove the strong-name
on the class project assembly to see whether it helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "TS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: dll getting locked in referencing project's bin
| Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:12:34 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| in my web project's bin folder, the dll, that comes from a project
reference
| of a class library in same solution, can't be deleted. it says it has a
| sharing violation. i also cannot delete the .projdata file in the class
| library's obj directory. This is causing updates to the class library not
| getting seen in the web app.
|
| i ran filemon and it just says sharing violation but i dont' know why.
i'm
| sure by closing & re-opening VS.net it will fix it, but i don't want to
| always have to do that. i've killed the worker process and restarted iis
and
| they dont' help.
|
| What do i do?
|

| Also, what is the obj directory for?
|
| thanks a bunch!

=?Utf-8?B?VFM=?=

the project is not building a strong name assemlbly. Sometimes killing the
worker process works, sometimes it doesn't - sometimes i have to close the
solution of close Vs.net.

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi TS,
>
> As for the class library project's output assembly, is it strong-named?
> Based on my experience, since strong-named assemblly is not copied to
> client application(which reference it)'s local location, and when the
> application use it do not shadow copy it , there will occur such locking
> issue. Also, ASP.NET web application won't shadow copy strong-named
> assembly, therefore if this is the case, you can try remove the strong-name
> on the class project assembly to see whether it helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
> --------------------
> | From: "TS" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: dll getting locked in referencing project's bin
> | Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:12:34 -0600
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
> |
> | in my web project's bin folder, the dll, that comes from a project
> reference
> | of a class library in same solution, can't be deleted. it says it has a
> | sharing violation. i also cannot delete the .projdata file in the class
> | library's obj directory. This is causing updates to the class library not
> | getting seen in the web app.
> |
> | i ran filemon and it just says sharing violation but i dont' know why.
> i'm
> | sure by closing & re-opening VS.net it will fix it, but i don't want to
> | always have to do that. i've killed the worker process and restarted iis
> and
> | they dont' help.
> |
> | What do i do?
> |

> | Also, what is the obj directory for?
> |
> | thanks a bunch!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response TS,

Seems a bit strange since non-storng-named assembly in private bin dir of
asp.net application are always shadow copied. Have you ever changed the
class library project's output directory path? by default, class library
project will generate the output assembly and put it under the project's
sub folder ( project\bin\debug), have you manually changed this path to
another place, e.g: the ASP.NET application's private bin dir?