Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why I gave up on Firefox

Why I gave up on Firefox

History Fan

I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've tried
Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2. I will
concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely customizable
browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I will admit), I went
back to IE:

1) I really love the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. But the Firefox
version causes some type of conflict with that browser's updating program.
At least it does on my computer. The updating process gets to about 80%
then stops. As soon as the FF Google Toolbar is removed, the updating
problem is gone. The unofficial Googlebar is okay, but I prefer the
real-deal.

2) The Google Toolbar for FF does not have pop up blocking, since Firefox
has it's own pop-up blocker. That bothers me a little because I haven't
found the FF pop-up blocker to be as good as advertised. Whereas the Google
Toolbar for IE does a more thorough job, IMO.

3) Their numbers are shrinking, but I still occasionally come upon websites
that do not load 100% properly or not at all with Firefox. This webcam of
San Francisco only works with IE or Safari:
http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html I also like to watch the news
videos at MSNBC, and they require IE.

4) With IE, if I want to clean out the TIF and/or cookies, I merely
right-click on the IE icon and select Properties. To do this with Firefox,
I have to open up the program, which I find to be slower and more
inconvenient.

5) I prefer the appearance of IE 6 SP2. It looks more professional and
smooth. FF has a IE "luna" skin, but the one I tried didn't completely
replicate the IE 6 look.

6) In order to view certain multimedia content with FF, I need to install
Sun's Java program. With IE 6, I don't need to.

7) When I use FF to open up Outlook Express, it is never maximized, for
some reason. With IE, it is.

7) With IE, if I want to email someone a website I'm visiting, I merely
click the Mail icon on the toolbar and click "Send a Link." With FF, I have
to click File, then Send a Link. Not a big deal, but I like having that
option on my toolbar....it's something I've gotten used to.

This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I found
to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search field.
You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With IE,
when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the "News"
button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people might
find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.

Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

Old Gringo

History Fan wrote:
> [...]
>
> This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I found
> to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search field.
> You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
> displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With IE,
> when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
> very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the "News"
> button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
> field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people might
> find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
> the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
> search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
>
> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

Sounds good to me, however your web cam link will work using the
quick time plug in for FireFox. The Google toolbar is not required
at all with FireFox as most of its features are built in to the
browser already. As far as MSNBC I did away with them long time ago.
Good Luck

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

ar@x

History Fan wrote:
> I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've
> tried Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2.
> I will concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely
> customizable browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I
> will admit), I went back to IE:

[blah...]

> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

I tried to find a single bullet with which
I could sympathise ('Yes! that bugs me too!')
I couldn't, sorry.

You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
to the small variations of life.

'Always view this page in IE' option in FF solves
all my problems of 'IE only' web pages. As for the rest
of your niggles....

Old Gringo

--

prairiedog02@yahoo.com

> The Google toolbar is not required
> at all with FireFox as most of its features are built in to the
> browser already.

Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
built in? If so, I never found them.

prairiedog02@yahoo.com

> You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
> who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
> to the small variations of life.

The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over Firefox.
Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at least
partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.

prairiedog02@yahoo.com

> Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
> built in? If so, I never found them.

Just for clarity's sake, when I refer to the AutoFill feature, I'm
talking about a button that will automatically type in your name, email
address, home address and phone number at websites that require such
data. AFAIK, that feature is not built into Firefox, although there is
an extension you can download.

ar@x

>> You sound like an 80-year old grandma, set in her ways,
>> who likes things 'just so' and cannot get used
>> to the small variations of life.
>>

> The situation is hardly that dramatic. I just prefer IE over
> Firefox. Hopefully, IE's main drawback, poor security, will be at
> least partially addressed with the upcoming IE 7.

'Hopefully' is the operative word here Good luck.

VO

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Firefox has an image display, web form spell checker and AutoFill
>>built in? If so, I never found them.

> Just for clarity's sake, when I refer to the AutoFill feature, I'm
> talking about a button that will automatically type in your name, email
> address, home address and phone number at websites that require such
> data. AFAIK, that feature is not built into Firefox, although there is
> an extension you can download.

I don't know how I got it, but I have autofill in Firefox.

The One

"History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:da43b$431aef3e$483112d3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

field.
> You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
> displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With

IE,
> when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
> very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the

"News"
> button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
> field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people

might
> find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
> the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
> search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
>
> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

The only feature that has appealed to me while using FF is the ability to
remember passwords and user names for websites. Apart from that FF is
average and deserves 3/5.