Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why I gave up on Firefox

Why I gave up on Firefox

Wang

John <>< wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:57:33 -0400, "History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've tried
>>Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2. I will
>>concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely customizable
>>browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I will admit), I went
>>back to IE:
>>

> <<<Eight reasons not repeated in the interest of saving bandwidth>>>
>
>> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )
>>

> Dear History Fan:
>
> Why would I be angry? Why should I care whether or not you like Firefox?
> I wouldn't care if you like to communicate using smoke signals, or two tin cans
> on a string.
>
> I guess what I am curious about is why you would want to waste your time and
> mine, and a waste a whole batch of bandwidth, just to tell me why you don't like
> Firefox.
>
> BTW - if you have half an hour or so, I'll tell you why I don't like tomatoes.
> Ask me about it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.

Ah go on, pleeeeeeeese tell us why you don't like tomatoes!

--
Remove INVALID from my Reply-To address

Simian Dyson

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simian Dyson wrote:
> > "History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:da43b$431aef3e$483112d3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >> I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've tried
> >>Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2. I will
> >>concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely customizable
> >>browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I will admit), I

went
> >>back to IE:
> >>
> >>1) I really love the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. But the

> > Firefox
> >
> >>version causes some type of conflict with that browser's updating

program.
> >>At least it does on my computer. The updating process gets to about 80%
> >>then stops. As soon as the FF Google Toolbar is removed, the updating
> >>problem is gone. The unofficial Googlebar is okay, but I prefer the
> >>real-deal.
> >>
> >>2) The Google Toolbar for FF does not have pop up blocking, since

Firefox
> >>has it's own pop-up blocker. That bothers me a little because I haven't
> >>found the FF pop-up blocker to be as good as advertised. Whereas the

> > Google
> >
> >>Toolbar for IE does a more thorough job, IMO.
> >>
> >>3) Their numbers are shrinking, but I still occasionally come upon

> > websites
> >
> >>that do not load 100% properly or not at all with Firefox. This webcam

of
> >>San Francisco only works with IE or Safari:
> >>http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html I also like to watch the

> > news
> >
> >>videos at MSNBC, and they require IE.
> >>
> >>4) With IE, if I want to clean out the TIF and/or cookies, I merely
> >>right-click on the IE icon and select Properties. To do this with

> > Firefox,
> >
> >>I have to open up the program, which I find to be slower and more
> >>inconvenient.
> >>
> >>5) I prefer the appearance of IE 6 SP2. It looks more professional and
> >>smooth. FF has a IE "luna" skin, but the one I tried didn't completely
> >>replicate the IE 6 look.
> >>
> >>6) In order to view certain multimedia content with FF, I need to

install
> >>Sun's Java program. With IE 6, I don't need to.
> >>
> >>7) When I use FF to open up Outlook Express, it is never maximized, for
> >>some reason. With IE, it is.
> >>
> >>7) With IE, if I want to email someone a website I'm visiting, I merely
> >>click the Mail icon on the toolbar and click "Send a Link." With FF, I

> > have
> >
> >>to click File, then Send a Link. Not a big deal, but I like having that
> >>option on my toolbar....it's something I've gotten used to.
> >>
> >> This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I

found
> >>to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search

> > field.
> >
> >>You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
> >>displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With

> > IE,
> >
> >>when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page,

> >>very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the

> > "News"
> >
> >>button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
> >>field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people

> > might
> >
> >>find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken

> >>the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
> >>search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
> >>
> >> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )
> >>

> > I agree with your complaint about not beign able to email a link from
> > withing FF, but I am hoping some enterprising soul will write an

extension
> > for this. If you want the other convienences of IE by like faster,

tabbed
> > browsing, use Avant. While it piggybacks on IE's settings, it still is
> > faster an you have many advantages IE can't do.
> >

> but Avant is just IE in disguise. You'll still be at risk to all the
> IE security risks.

True, but life is a series of compromises, ain't it? Won't be long before
hackers start targeting FF too, so don't get toooooo comfortable.

Simian Dyson

"John <><" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:57:33 -0400, "History Fan"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a PC running XP Home SP2 with a DSL connection. I've tried
> >Firefox 1.00 thru 1.06, but eventually went back to IE 6 SP2. I will
> >concede that Firefox is a fast, generally safe, extremely customizable
> >browser, but for these reasons (many of them minor, I will admit), I went
> >back to IE:
> >

> <<<Eight reasons not repeated in the interest of saving bandwidth>>>
> >
> > Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )
> >

> Dear History Fan:
>
> Why would I be angry? Why should I care whether or not you like Firefox?
> I wouldn't care if you like to communicate using smoke signals, or two tin

cans
> on a string.
>
> I guess what I am curious about is why you would want to waste your time

and
> mine, and a waste a whole batch of bandwidth, just to tell me why you

don't like
> Firefox.
>
> BTW - if you have half an hour or so, I'll tell you why I don't like

tomatoes.
> Ask me about it.

Right arm! But, I love tomatoes. Let's fight!

History Fan

>> I guess what I am curious about is why you would want to waste your time
> and
>> mine, and a waste a whole batch of bandwidth, just to tell me why you

> don't like
>> Firefox.

The same reason millions of other people post to newsgroups: because
I wanted to.

wc

History Fan wrote:

>>5) I prefer the appearance of IE 6 SP2. It looks more professional and

smooth. FF has a IE "luna" skin, but the one I tried didn't completely
replicate the IE 6 look.<<

There is no accounting for taste, is there. To me, it smacks of AOL,
just exactly like something AOL would provide, and works just like it,
too.

We can't all be alike, can we.

Will

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>
> This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I found
>to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search field.
>You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
>displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With IE,
>when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
>very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the "News"
>button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
>field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people might
>find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
>the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
>search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.
>
> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

I've been on the edge of giving up and going back to Mozilla for two
reasons
1) because in a random matter (as far as I can tell) sometimes
Firefox never opens a browser, but shows up in the task manager, after
I make a profile selection. Sometimes I've had to restart windows to
get it to work and sometimes just killing the task and starting again
works.
2), and occasionally it takes forever to get the data from the first
site after opening the browser. Site varies.

Neither of the above has ever happened with Mozilla.

I nonly use IE for those rare occasions where the site I'm visiting
says it won't work with my browser. I think some of these work with
Mozilla and not Firefox.

Jim

Jedi Fans

Simian Dyson wrote:
>> but Avant is just IE in disguise. You'll still be at risk to all the
>> IE security risks.

> True, but life is a series of compromises, ain't it? Won't be long before
> hackers start targeting FF too, so don't get toooooo comfortable.

Difference is that Firefox is a community lead, open source project.
Open Source generally gets patches quicker as the community cares about
the product and has the source code available to find a patch....

--
Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
The Force Is With Me, SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, Mozilla Firefox

Bryan Harrison

Ah good. Someone else who is going to convince us all to drop our
superior browser.

> 1) I really love the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. But the

Firefox
> version causes some type of conflict with that browser's updating program.
> At least it does on my computer. The updating process gets to about 80%
> then stops. As soon as the FF Google Toolbar is removed, the updating
> problem is gone. The unofficial Googlebar is okay, but I prefer the
> real-deal.

Doh! There's a bug. Fancy that. It'll be fixed.....
Next..

> 2) The Google Toolbar for FF does not have pop up blocking, since Firefox
> has it's own pop-up blocker. That bothers me a little because I haven't
> found the FF pop-up blocker to be as good as advertised. Whereas the Google
> Toolbar for IE does a more thorough job, IMO.

Because Firefox has a wealth of extensions that throw IE and Google
blocking into a cocked hat.
As you say, there is no need for it for Firefox.
Delve man. Delve.
Next..

> 3) Their numbers are shrinking, but I still occasionally come upon websites
> that do not load 100% properly or not at all with Firefox. This webcam of
> San Francisco only works with IE or Safari:
> http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html I also like to watch the news
> videos at MSNBC, and they require IE.

Not much that can be done about that until these shitty sites wake up
and smell Firefox's market share.
Next..

> 4) With IE, if I want to clean out the TIF and/or cookies, I merely
> right-click on the IE icon and select Properties. To do this with Firefox,
> I have to open up the program, which I find to be slower and more
> inconvenient.

Big deal. If you clear your cookies that often, don't allow them in the
first place.
Next..

> 5) I prefer the appearance of IE 6 SP2. It looks more professional and
> smooth. FF has a IE "luna" skin, but the one I tried didn't completely
> replicate the IE 6 look.

Looks are in the eye of beholder.

> 6) In order to view certain multimedia content with FF, I need to install
> Sun's Java program. With IE 6, I don't need to.

Don't know anything about that.

> 7) When I use FF to open up Outlook Express, it is never maximized, for
> some reason. With IE, it is.

OE? Eek. Thunderbird man. Thunderbird.

> 7) With IE, if I want to email someone a website I'm visiting, I merely
> click the Mail icon on the toolbar and click "Send a Link." With FF, I have
> to click File, then Send a Link. Not a big deal, but I like having that
> option on my toolbar....it's something I've gotten used to.

Correct. No big deal.
Next..

> This last reason may seem the lamest, but it is something that I found
> to be a tad annoying. The Google Toolbar for IE and FF has a search field.
> You type words in there, click the Search button and the results are
> displayed. The Google Toolbar also has an optional "News" button. With IE,
> when I click the "News" button, it brings up the Google News home page, a
> very useful website with hundreds of hyperlinks. But if I click the "News"
> button with the FF version and there are any words listed in the search
> field, it looks for news articles related to those words. Some people might
> find that useful, but when I click the "News" button I want to be taken to
> the News home page. Of course, all I need do is erase the words in the
> search field, but with IE I don't have to do that.

Not worthy of a comment really.

> Okay. I'm ready for the angry responses : )

Well you got what you wanted.
Now go an post this is a IE newsgroup. It's full of blinkered IE users.

Bryan

History Fan

> Ah good. Someone else who is going to convince us all to drop our superior
> browser.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, and I never said
Internet Explorer was better than Firefox. I just wanted to point out, in
detail, why I decided to go back to Internet Explorer after experimenting
with FF. As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, most of the reasons
listed were minor. But there were so many of them I decided to give up on
Firefox. At least for now. I hope Firefox continues to gain market share,
because it will put pressure on Microsoft and other tech companies to
improve their products.

Bryan Harrison wrote:
>> 3) Their numbers are shrinking, but I still occasionally come upon
>> websites that do not load 100% properly or not at all with Firefox.
>> This webcam of San Francisco only works with IE or Safari:
>> http://cams.exploratorium.edu/CAM2/index.html I also like to watch
>> the news videos at MSNBC, and they require IE.

> Not much that can be done about that until these shitty sites wake up
> and smell Firefox's market share.
> Next..

Plenty _could_ be done. But won't. The FF rendering engine could be made
more flexible. If you think FF can drive sites to clean up their code,
you need a remedial business class.

>> 4) With IE, if I want to clean out the TIF and/or cookies, I merely
>> right-click on the IE icon and select Properties. To do this with
>> Firefox, I have to open up the program, which I find to be slower and
>> more inconvenient.

> Big deal. If you clear your cookies that often, don't allow them in the
> first place.
> Next..

There's that bad attitude, and it's prevalent here. You dismiss some of
the most important user feedback you could possibly get from a user. You
should be welcoming it, embracing it and addressing it. And by
addressing it, I don't mean arguing with users about their complaints.