Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Disadvantages in Visual Studio 2005 (Web sites)

Disadvantages in Visual Studio 2005 (Web sites)

m.roello@dev.it

In the book:
"Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
Craig Skibo wrote:
"The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."

I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.

All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know
you can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a
project I can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use
the Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity
number of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.

Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.

Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good.
But the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent
from the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.

Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
black hole.

I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
version.

Marco Roello

=?Utf-8?B?RFdT?=

Dear Disadvantaged,

I don't often use the new class viewer, it is overpowering like you said.

I'm am however using namespace inside the app_code folder.
My Namespaces do come up in the IDE as expected type assist, imports, etc.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> In the book:
> "Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
> Craig Skibo wrote:
> "The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
> build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."
>
> I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.
>
> All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know
> you can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a
> project I can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use
> the Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity
> number of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.
>
> Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
> us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.
>
> Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
> now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good.
> But the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent
> from the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.
>
> Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
> black hole.
>
> I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
> IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
> version.
>
> Marco Roello
> (E-Mail Removed)

Patrice

Not familier with VS.NET 2005 but can't you speciify the namespaces in your
classes with the appropriate statement ?

--
Patrice

<(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the book:
> "Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
> Craig Skibo wrote:
> "The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
> build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."
>
> I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.
>
> All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know
> you can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a
> project I can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use
> the Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity
> number of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.
>
> Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
> us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.
>
> Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
> now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good.
> But the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent
> from the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.
>
> Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
> black hole.
>
> I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
> IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
> version.
>
> Marco Roello
> (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?YWJ1bmV0?=

Thanks for your opinion,

Maybe I've not explained very well the problem.
I've already written that I know that I can MANUALLY define namespace, but
the RAD tool doesn't help me in any mode....

These are the real questions:

In the App_Code directory, you can define custom namespaces for .cs files.
But if you add a Dataset (.xsd) how can you define his namespace in visual
studio?

A Web site isn't a collection of classes?

Why a Windows Form Project or a ClassLibrary project manage namespaces in
the right mode?

Why in Visual Studio .Net 2003 I could do it and now not?

Anyone know what does it mean to open hundred of aspx files and write the
namespace?

Thanks

"DWS" wrote:

> Dear Disadvantaged,
>
> I don't often use the new class viewer, it is overpowering like you said.
>
> I'm am however using namespace inside the app_code folder.
> My Namespaces do come up in the IDE as expected type assist, imports, etc.
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
> > In the book:
> > "Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
> > Craig Skibo wrote:
> > "The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
> > build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."
> >
> > I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.
> >
> > All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know
> > you can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a
> > project I can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use
> > the Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity
> > number of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.
> >
> > Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
> > us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.
> >
> > Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
> > now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good.
> > But the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent
> > from the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.
> >
> > Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
> > black hole.
> >
> > I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
> > IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
> > version.
> >
> > Marco Roello
> > (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?YWJ1bmV0?=

Thanks Patrice,

sorry but I'm talking about DISADVANTAGES of Visual Studio, not of the .Net
framework.

"Patrice" wrote:

> Not familier with VS.NET 2005 but can't you speciify the namespaces in your
> classes with the appropriate statement ?
>
> --
> Patrice
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the book:
> > "Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
> > Craig Skibo wrote:
> > "The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
> > build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."
> >
> > I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.
> >
> > All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know
> > you can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a
> > project I can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use
> > the Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity
> > number of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.
> >
> > Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
> > us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.
> >
> > Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
> > now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good.
> > But the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent
> > from the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.
> >
> > Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
> > black hole.
> >
> > I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
> > IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
> > version.
> >
> > Marco Roello
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Scott Allen

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:26:54 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
>black hole.

I don't think it's a big issue. 99% of the types in code-behind /
code-beside files are never used outside of the files they are defined
in. Many times they end up in isolated assemblies.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

Christopher Reed

In actuality, if you are developing everything within the same website, then
why do you need a namespace. If you use the App_Code directory for your
website-specific classes and you have multiple ASPX pages (with or without
code-behind), they are all compiled into the same assembly, so where's the
need for a namespace.

Note that I add my namespaces to my website files and I have no problem with
it. It's not a major issue.
--
Christopher A. Reed

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the book:
> "Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
> Craig Skibo wrote:
> "The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
> build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."
>
> I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.
>
> All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know you
> can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a project I
> can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use the
> Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity number
> of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.
>
> Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
> us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.
>
> Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
> now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good. But
> the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent from
> the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.
>
> Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG black
> hole.
>
> I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
> IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
> version.
>
> Marco Roello
> (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?YWJ1bmV0?=

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you.

All the .Net framework is a library subdivided in namespaces.

I'm sorry if you say that you don't need namespaces, you say that .Net
framework doesn't need them.

"Christopher Reed" wrote:

> In actuality, if you are developing everything within the same website, then
> why do you need a namespace. If you use the App_Code directory for your
> website-specific classes and you have multiple ASPX pages (with or without
> code-behind), they are all compiled into the same assembly, so where's the
> need for a namespace.
>
> Note that I add my namespaces to my website files and I have no problem with
> it. It's not a major issue.
> --
> Christopher A. Reed
> "The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient."
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the book:
> > "Working with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005"
> > Craig Skibo wrote:
> > "The power of Visual Studio 2005 lies in its ability to empower users to
> > build, test, and debug powerful applications quickly and easly."
> >
> > I don't agree on what concernes ASP .NET Web Sites in VS2005.
> >
> > All what involves Namespaces in Web sites has been disappeared. I know you
> > can still MANUALLY manage them, but not QUICKLY and EASLY. In a project I
> > can subdivide the App_Code Folder in subfolders, but if I use the
> > Powerfull "Class View" Window, I'm not very glad to see an infinity number
> > of classes, all placed at the root of the project namespace.
> >
> > Grouping in namespaces is one of the most powerful skills tha .net gave
> > us, since 1.0 and not only for .Net Windows Projects.
> >
> > Someone could reply me that the problem is pre-compilation. I know that
> > now you can choose how to build your Web site, and this is very good. But
> > the need of defining namespaces and grouping classes is indipendent from
> > the way I'll decide to deploy the Web Site.
> >
> > Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG black
> > hole.
> >
> > I'm sorry for this lines, but I'm tired to search for workarounds for an
> > IDE, abive all when a functionality was already present in the previous
> > version.
> >
> > Marco Roello
> > (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?YWJ1bmV0?=

You are confusing the problem.

Namespaces aren't assemblies.

You can define the same namespace for different assemblies.

NAMESPACES are LOGICAL rappresentation of your class library.

And a Web site is an Application with one or more assemblies.

Why the assemblies of a web site cannot be rappresented in namespaces?

"Scott Allen" wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:26:54 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> >Is this a "by design" issue?. Or it is a bug? In my opinion is a BIG
> >black hole.
> >

> I don't think it's a big issue. 99% of the types in code-behind /
> code-beside files are never used outside of the files they are defined
> in. Many times they end up in isolated assemblies.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

=?Utf-8?B?YWJ1bmV0?=

A question to everyone tells me that they don't need namespaces:

In your web site. You have 2 folders with 2 default.aspx files, one in each
folder.

If build the web site, you'll get an error, because the compiler finds two
classes with the same name.

The solution is to define a different namespace for each aspx file (or one
of them).

Now, if I have to define ONE namespace for ONE class, a good developer
SHOULD define namespaces for ALL the classes in the projects.

I'll post the question in another thread.