Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Generating XML comment documents from ASP.NET C# code-behind

Generating XML comment documents from ASP.NET C# code-behind

=?Utf-8?B?bmV0Y29tbWFuZGVy?=

Hi all,
Can anyone shed any light on how I generate the XML comment documents from
the C# code-behind files in a ASP.NET web project in VS2005? I can't find
any properties relating to it if I right-click the project name in Solution
Explorer.

It's a different story for a C# windows application... you get a different
set of properties that allow you to specify the name of the XML file to
output. I just can't work out how to do it in a web project. I had no joy
trying to use the /doc parameter on the csc command line compiler either.

Perhaps I need to use a third party tool, or maybe there's something in the
MSDN I can look at? If so, please tell me what the best tool out there is
guys (and gals)?

Sorry, this is probably a newbie question.

Many thanks.
--
Go easy... I''m new in here.

Rick Strahl [MVP]

The XML Comments feature is based on VB and C# projects, but because ASP.NET
2.0 doesn't use real projects this is another feature that is no longer
available by default.

I haven't tried this but I suspect you can use XML Comments with Web
Application Projects which is an add-on from Microsoft (still in early beta)
that provides ASP.NET application with real project files.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/re...p/default.aspx

+++ Rick ---

--

Rick Strahl