Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox - clearing address bar?

Firefox - clearing address bar?

Tom Allen

Okay, I'm having a senior moment. I'm trying to keep the address bar
(where you enter the URL) from automatically displaying the last items
typed or visited. I thought that there was a setting to turn this off,
but I'm drawing a blank.

I know I can clear the memroy cache, and I'm pretty sure that if I set
the History box to 0 for "Number of Days", that would work. But isn't
there a way to *keep* the history if I wanted to look it up (say, via
the Go menu), but not display the addresses?

It's possible that I'm remembering an IE tweak, too, so maybe that's why
I can't find it.

Thanks

Simian Dyson

"Tom Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, I'm having a senior moment. I'm trying to keep the address bar
> (where you enter the URL) from automatically displaying the last items
> typed or visited. I thought that there was a setting to turn this off,
> but I'm drawing a blank.
>
> I know I can clear the memroy cache, and I'm pretty sure that if I set
> the History box to 0 for "Number of Days", that would work. But isn't
> there a way to *keep* the history if I wanted to look it up (say, via
> the Go menu), but not display the addresses?
>
> It's possible that I'm remembering an IE tweak, too, so maybe that's why
> I can't find it.
>
> Thanks

The only way I've been able to accomplish this is to clear the history. At
first I thought that a bit drastic, but it turned out I didn't need access
to any of those sites after all. I'll stay tuned to see if anyone comes up
with a compromise solution.

Jim Lahue

Tom Allen wrote:
> Okay, I'm having a senior moment. I'm trying to keep the address bar
> (where you enter the URL) from automatically displaying the last items
> typed or visited. I thought that there was a setting to turn this off,
> but I'm drawing a blank.
>
> I know I can clear the memroy cache, and I'm pretty sure that if I set
> the History box to 0 for "Number of Days", that would work. But isn't
> there a way to *keep* the history if I wanted to look it up (say, via
> the Go menu), but not display the addresses?
>
> It's possible that I'm remembering an IE tweak, too, so maybe that's why
> I can't find it.
>
> Thanks

I don't know how to keep typed URLs from going into the location bar
history but I know that you can remove an unwanted URL by bringing up
the list of URLs, highlighting the URL you don't want and typing
Shift-Del.

Jim

Tom Allen

Jim Lahue wrote:
> Tom Allen wrote:
>
>>Okay, I'm having a senior moment. I'm trying to keep the address bar
>>(where you enter the URL) from automatically displaying the last items
>>typed or visited. I thought that there was a setting to turn this off,
>>but I'm drawing a blank.
>>
>>I know I can clear the memroy cache, and I'm pretty sure that if I set
>>the History box to 0 for "Number of Days", that would work. But isn't
>>there a way to *keep* the history if I wanted to look it up (say, via
>>the Go menu), but not display the addresses?
>>
>>It's possible that I'm remembering an IE tweak, too, so maybe that's why
>>I can't find it.
>>
>>Thanks

> I don't know how to keep typed URLs from going into the location bar
> history but I know that you can remove an unwanted URL by bringing up
> the list of URLs, highlighting the URL you don't want and typing
> Shift-Del.

Cool, I didn't tknow that one! Thanx.

"Tom Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, I'm having a senior moment. I'm trying to keep the address bar
> (where you enter the URL) from automatically displaying the last items
> typed or visited. I thought that there was a setting to turn this off,
> but I'm drawing a blank.
>
> I know I can clear the memroy cache, and I'm pretty sure that if I set
> the History box to 0 for "Number of Days", that would work. But isn't
> there a way to *keep* the history if I wanted to look it up (say, via
> the Go menu), but not display the addresses?
>
> It's possible that I'm remembering an IE tweak, too, so maybe that's why
> I can't find it.
>
> Thanks

Is there a way I can make the newest URLs, and recently used ones be on top?
I liked the way it worked like that in IE. TIA!