Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Connection Pooling.

Connection Pooling.

tshad

We are having quite a problem with the Connection Pool filling up. I have
tried restarting the website and IIS both and that doesn't seem to solve the
problem. I still have to wait until the Garbage Collector does its thing.
I would have thought by shutting down IIS and restarting it would free the
connections, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I was told that I can help the situation by increasing the Pool size by
changing my Connection String from:

"Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=Interez;Initial
Catalog=InterezData;User ID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;"

"Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=Interez;Initial
Catalog=InterezData;User ID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;Min Pool Size=5;Max Pool
Size=100;"

A couple of questions.

Why do I need this on my connection string? Doesn't this need to only be
set once? This string is called each time I access the database.

I was told the default was 40 - is that correct?

Why do I need the Min Pool size?

Also, what do I gain by using 100 instead of 300? Will that slow the
response down?

Thanks,

Tom

=?Utf-8?B?S29zdGph?=

"tshad" wrote:

> We are having quite a problem with the Connection Pool filling up. I have
> tried restarting the website and IIS both and that doesn't seem to solve the
> problem. I still have to wait until the Garbage Collector does its thing.
> I would have thought by shutting down IIS and restarting it would free the
> connections, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> I was told that I can help the situation by increasing the Pool size by
> changing my Connection String from:
>
> "Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=Interez;Initial
> Catalog=InterezData;User ID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;"

> "Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=Interez;Initial
> Catalog=InterezData;User ID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;Min Pool Size=5;Max Pool
> Size=100;"
>
> A couple of questions.
>
> Why do I need this on my connection string? Doesn't this need to only be
> set once? This string is called each time I access the database.
>
> I was told the default was 40 - is that correct?
>
> Why do I need the Min Pool size?
>
> Also, what do I gain by using 100 instead of 300? Will that slow the
> response down?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Hello Tom,

assuming that you are using MS SQL Server you maybe should have a look at
this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...taProvider.asp

Since it looks like you are always using the same connection string I would
first make sure that you are closing connections after using them to release
them back into the pool. For that you have to call connection.close or
..dispose

Hth,

Kostja