Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Password Manager

Password Manager

Holley

How can I get Password manager to remember ALL sites requiring a
password? Password manager accepts most sites, but I am now
encountering sites that don't open PWMgr, and I hate trying to remember
my passwords!

ilex

Doug G

Holley wrote:
> How can I get Password manager to remember ALL sites requiring a
> password? Password manager accepts most sites, but I am now
> encountering sites that don't open PWMgr, and I hate trying to remember
> my passwords!
>
> ilex

Try the "remember password" bookmarklet at
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html

Ed Mullen

Doug G wrote:

> Holley wrote:
>
>> How can I get Password manager to remember ALL sites requiring a
>> password? Password manager accepts most sites, but I am now
>> encountering sites that don't open PWMgr, and I hate trying to
>> remember my passwords!
>>
>> ilex

> Try the "remember password" bookmarklet at
> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html

Good advice. But remember that some sites are coded to prevent
recording logon info for security purposes. On some of those sites
(depending on the method used) the bookmarklet will not work.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Holley wrote:
> How can I get Password manager to remember ALL sites requiring a
> password? Password manager accepts most sites, but I am now
> encountering sites that don't open PWMgr, and I hate trying to remember
> my passwords!

There's a reason why some sites don't want passwords stored locally:
security. Before you go and store your bank or 401(k) account or other
important passwords locally, make sure you understand the risks.

Stubby

Z wrote:
> Holley wrote:
>
>> How can I get Password manager to remember ALL sites requiring a
>> password? Password manager accepts most sites, but I am now
>> encountering sites that don't open PWMgr, and I hate trying to
>> remember my passwords!

> There's a reason why some sites don't want passwords stored locally:
> security. Before you go and store your bank or 401(k) account or other
> important passwords locally, make sure you understand the risks.

My understanding is locally-stored passwords are encrypted. The bank's
web site can retrieve the password and decrypt it at the bank. There is
little risk in storing passwords locally.

Stubby wrote:
>>> How can I get Password manager to remember ALL sites requiring a
>>> password? Password manager accepts most sites, but I am now
>>> encountering sites that don't open PWMgr, and I hate trying to
>>> remember my passwords!

>> There's a reason why some sites don't want passwords stored locally:
>> security. Before you go and store your bank or 401(k) account or other
>> important passwords locally, make sure you understand the risks.

> My understanding is locally-stored passwords are encrypted. The bank's
> web site can retrieve the password and decrypt it at the bank. There is
> little risk in storing passwords locally.

There is GREAT risk in using FF's Password Manager to store important
passwords. See for yourself: open Password Manager (Tools > Options >
Privacy > Saved Passwords). Click View Saved Passwords > Show Passwords.

See them all?

You can call it "encryption" because they're not stored in plain text,
but it's not secure by any means. I would never EVER store my banking or
shopping or any important passwords in Password Manager.

Stubby

Z wrote:

>>> There's a reason why some sites don't want passwords stored locally:
>>> security. Before you go and store your bank or 401(k) account or
>>> other important passwords locally, make sure you understand the risks.

>> My understanding is locally-stored passwords are encrypted. The
>> bank's web site can retrieve the password and decrypt it at the bank.
>> There is little risk in storing passwords locally.

> There is GREAT risk in using FF's Password Manager to store important
> passwords. See for yourself: open Password Manager (Tools > Options >
> Privacy > Saved Passwords). Click View Saved Passwords > Show Passwords.
>
> See them all?
>
> You can call it "encryption" because they're not stored in plain text,
> but it's not secure by any means. I would never EVER store my banking or
> shopping or any important passwords in Password Manager.

Something is wrong then. FF should store what the web site says, but
that should be encrypted. When you print it as you described, it
should be nonsense. I think the problem is that the website is not
encrypting your password and telling your browser (PW Mgr) to store the
encrypted version.

Stubby wrote:

>>> My understanding is locally-stored passwords are encrypted. The
>>> bank's web site can retrieve the password and decrypt it at the
>>> bank. There is little risk in storing passwords locally.

>> There is GREAT risk in using FF's Password Manager to store
>> important passwords. See for yourself: open Password Manager (Tools
>> > Options > Privacy > Saved Passwords). Click View Saved Passwords
>> > Show Passwords.

>> See them all?
>>
>> You can call it "encryption" because they're not stored in plain
>> text, but it's not secure by any means. I would never EVER store my
>> banking or shopping or any important passwords in Password Manager.

> Something is wrong then.

Nothing is wrong.

> FF should store what the web site says, but that should be encrypted.

Password Manager stores what you enter. A _cookie_ created by the web
site may contain strongly encrypted data, but that cookie can be read
and used by someone else.

You can use a Master Password on the Password Manager, but that saves
you nothing in terms of typing fewer passwords, which was your original
issue.

The crux of the problem is: if you can access your banking or other
important web sites w/o interactively typing a password, then so can
malware.

Stubby

Z wrote:

>>> There is GREAT risk in using FF's Password Manager to store
>>> important passwords. See for yourself: open Password Manager (Tools
>>>
>>> See them all?
>>>
>>> You can call it "encryption" because they're not stored in plain
>>> text, but it's not secure by any means. I would never EVER store my
>>> banking or shopping or any important passwords in Password Manager.

>> Something is wrong then.

> Nothing is wrong.
>

>> FF should store what the web site says, but that should be encrypted.

> Password Manager stores what you enter. A _cookie_ created by the web
> site may contain strongly encrypted data, but that cookie can be read
> and used by someone else.
>
> You can use a Master Password on the Password Manager, but that saves
> you nothing in terms of typing fewer passwords, which was your original
> issue.
>
> The crux of the problem is: if you can access your banking or other
> important web sites w/o interactively typing a password, then so can
> malware.

Nope. Not if what it gets out of the cookie is encrypted.

Stubby wrote:
>> The crux of the problem is: if you can access your banking or other
>> important web sites w/o interactively typing a password, then so can
>> malware.

> Nope. Not if what it gets out of the cookie is encrypted.

Malware running surreptitiously on your PC could connect to your banking
website and use your stored cookie to authenticate.

There are GOOD reasons why financial websites require you to log in
interactively every time you connect, Circumvent that safeguard at your
own risk.

Feel free to have the last word now; I'm not going to get into a ****ing
contest with you. Suffice it to say that remote security, encryption and
authentication are large parts of what I do professionally, for a living.

You've been warned. You're on your own now.