Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox won't display my webpage

Firefox won't display my webpage

peter bendall

Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
(or ad.adnet.biz)

I have the other browsers including msie, mozilla, opera and netscape -
beginning with netscape4, 7 or 8, and it does work with any browser
except Firefox....

Thinking that an error would have to be with freehost.ag, (I get the
effect only with the web page) I despatched an error message, but
they could not reproduce the error!

I think, now, that the error will be with parameters of my installation
of Firefox, but I can't get rid of the bookmarks!
Where are they stored?
I updated from Firefox1 to 1.0.6, erasing the directory
/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox in its entirety, but it doen't erase
the bookmarks!

I should like to get advice from you!
Thank you in advance!

--
peter minus bendall at web point de
http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/bendall/

Pastor Dave

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:01 +0200, peter bendall
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:

>Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
>http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
> it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
> (or ad.adnet.biz)

Works here.

--

Pastor Dave

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/solution.html

http://tinyurl.com/ce97m

"The mark of a society that's on its last leg, is when
there is no fear of God." - Adrian Rogers

"The best vitamin for a Christian is B1."

Ed Mullen

peter bendall wrote:

> Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
> http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
> it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
> (or ad.adnet.biz)
>
> I have the other browsers including msie, mozilla, opera and netscape -
> beginning with netscape4, 7 or 8, and it does work with any browser
> except Firefox....
>
> Thinking that an error would have to be with freehost.ag, (I get the
> effect only with the web page) I despatched an error message, but
> they could not reproduce the error!
>
> I think, now, that the error will be with parameters of my installation
> of Firefox, but I can't get rid of the bookmarks!
> Where are they stored?
> I updated from Firefox1 to 1.0.6, erasing the directory
> /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox in its entirety, but it doen't erase
> the bookmarks!
>
> I should like to get advice from you!
> Thank you in advance!

First, all of your Firefox personal settings and data are stored in your
profile folder(s), NOT in the Firefox program location.

Specifically, bookmarks are stored in "bookmarks.html" in your profile
folder. See: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html

You do NOT want to directly edit that file. Instead use the Firefox
menus - Bookmarks - Manage Bookmarks. However, I don't think that's the
problem. I suspect that those ads are being blocked by a HOSTS file,
cookies settings, popup settings, or some combination of those. When I
go to the site there are missing elements due to one or more of the
things I cited.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Nikos Chantziaras

Pastor Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:01 +0200, peter bendall
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake thusly:
>
>> Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home)

> Works here.

Actually, the "my homepage doesn't work please check it out" trick is
one of the oldest ways to get some traffic to your site. Of course it
works; the trick is that most people visit the site just to see what's
wrong with it (and, of course, they find that everything works just fine).

The Chief Instigator

peter bendall <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
>http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
> it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
> (or ad.adnet.biz)

It works fine on 1.0.6 under Win98...assuming that's supposed to be the Lost
Canals of Schleswig-Holstein page.

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey ((E-Mail Removed)) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:29:01 +0200, in message
*<Xns96B6B1F2081B5bendalltonlinede@62.153.159.134 >, peter bendall wrote:

> Firefox (1 or 1.0.6) won't display my webpage under XP(home),
> http://www.freehost.ag/bendall/
> it just errors "Transferring data from pagead2.googlesyndication.com"
> (or ad.adnet.biz)

First, try clearing Firefox's cache.

> I have the other browsers including msie, mozilla, opera and netscape -
> beginning with netscape4, 7 or 8, and it does work with any browser
> except Firefox....

Are these other browsers on the same PC,
and using the same internet connection?

If so, it could be a duff file in Firefox's cache causing this.

> Thinking that an error would have to be with freehost.ag, (I get the
> effect only with the web page) I despatched an error message, but
> they could not reproduce the error!
>
> I think, now, that the error will be with parameters of my installation
> of Firefox, but I can't get rid of the bookmarks!
> Where are they stored?

Your bookmarks are all in a single file named "bookmarks.html"
to be found in your user profile directory.

See http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

> I updated from Firefox1 to 1.0.6, erasing the directory
> /Program Files/Mozilla Firefox in its entirety, but it doen't erase
> the bookmarks!

Uninstalling removes the program, but not the user profile
directory or directories.

> I should like to get advice from you!
> Thank you in advance!

You're welcome.

peter bendall

Nikos Chantziaras <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:430519b7$0$15355$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net:
> Actually, the "my homepage doesn't work please check it out" trick is
> one of the oldest ways to get some traffic to your site. Of course it
> works; the trick is that most people visit the site just to see what's
> wrong with it (and, of course, they find that everything works just
> fine).

I got a reply from the ISP, negative of course "it works here."
and three quarters of a hour later it was all right - and
it remained allright!
Thankyou for all the comments

I got a email from one of your subscribers complaining that I gave
a URL from one of the sites, I apologise for the oversight - I won't
give the url again, you will have to guess it!