Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Script disruption with Macromedia Flash

Script disruption with Macromedia Flash

HellPope Huey

What's the deal with Macromedia Flash scripts slowing Firefox down? I
get random messages that a script is "slowing the computer down and that
it may become unresponsive." It even crashed everything once, which is
unheard of in Mac OS X! Flash has been a pain in the butt at strange
intervals, even back when I was using Windows. Anyone encounter this
besides me? Thanks.

--

HPH
I will gladly pay you Tuesday

Moz Champion

HellPope Huey wrote:

> What's the deal with Macromedia Flash scripts slowing Firefox down? I
> get random messages that a script is "slowing the computer down and that
> it may become unresponsive." It even crashed everything once, which is
> unheard of in Mac OS X! Flash has been a pain in the butt at strange
> intervals, even back when I was using Windows. Anyone encounter this
> besides me? Thanks.
>
> --
>
> HPH
> I will gladly pay you Tuesday
> for a trepanation today.
> Clean them demons RIGHT out.

What version of Macromedia Flash are you running? What version of OS X?
Doesnt sound like a Firefox problem tho, its either a macromedia or a
system issue.

HellPope Huey

Moz Champion wrote:
> HellPope Huey wrote:
> >>

>> What's the deal with Macromedia Flash scripts slowing Firefox down? I
>> get random messages that a script is "slowing the computer down and
>> that it may become unresponsive." It even crashed everything once,
>> which is unheard of in Mac OS X! Flash has been a pain in the butt at
>> strange intervals, even back when I was using Windows. Anyone
>> encounter this besides me? Thanks.

> Doesnt sound like a Firefox problem tho, its either a macromedia or a
> system issue.

I believe its v.6 and I am in OS X 10.2.

You are almost certainly correct. I am of the opinion that Macromedia
is the Microsoft of graphics viewers. Its like the VHS tape winning out
over the more crisp, compact Beta format. You saw Beta in TV stations,
but not in most consumer's homes. VHS got forced through for financial
reasons, not design superiority.

Flash has some great features, but it just doesn't seem to play well
with others as it should. The next logical step is to seek out the
latest Flash version and see if an upgrade addresses this clunkiness, as
the Mac runs like a champ otherwise. Firefox behaves too well in all
other areas to be the likely culprit, either. Thanks.

HPH

Ed Mullen

HellPope Huey wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> HellPope Huey wrote:
>> >>

>>> What's the deal with Macromedia Flash scripts slowing Firefox down?
>>> I get random messages that a script is "slowing the computer down and
>>> that it may become unresponsive." It even crashed everything once,
>>> which is unheard of in Mac OS X! Flash has been a pain in the butt at
>>> strange intervals, even back when I was using Windows. Anyone
>>> encounter this besides me? Thanks.

>> Doesnt sound like a Firefox problem tho, its either a macromedia or a
>> system issue.

> I believe its v.6 and I am in OS X 10.2.
>
> You are almost certainly correct. I am of the opinion that Macromedia
> is the Microsoft of graphics viewers. Its like the VHS tape winning out
> over the more crisp, compact Beta format. You saw Beta in TV stations,
> but not in most consumer's homes. VHS got forced through for financial
> reasons, not design superiority.
>
> Flash has some great features, but it just doesn't seem to play well
> with others as it should. The next logical step is to seek out the
> latest Flash version and see if an upgrade addresses this clunkiness, as
> the Mac runs like a champ otherwise. Firefox behaves too well in all
> other areas to be the likely culprit, either. Thanks.
>
> HPH

Small note: The consumer "Beta" (full name - Betamax) shared a few
similarities to the broadcast cassette standard (full name - Betacam).
Two very different and incompatible animals. To quote:

"On a technical level, they are similar in that both share the same
videocassette shape, and both record linear audiotracks on the same
location of the videotape. But in the key area of video recording,
Betacam and Betamax are completely different. (Unlike Betamax, Betacam
uses a component-video encoding system.)" - source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Moz Champion

HellPope Huey wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> HellPope Huey wrote:
>> >>

>>> What's the deal with Macromedia Flash scripts slowing Firefox down?
>>> I get random messages that a script is "slowing the computer down and
>>> that it may become unresponsive." It even crashed everything once,
>>> which is unheard of in Mac OS X! Flash has been a pain in the butt at
>>> strange intervals, even back when I was using Windows. Anyone
>>> encounter this besides me? Thanks.

>> Doesnt sound like a Firefox problem tho, its either a macromedia or a
>> system issue.

> I believe its v.6 and I am in OS X 10.2.
>
> You are almost certainly correct. I am of the opinion that Macromedia
> is the Microsoft of graphics viewers. Its like the VHS tape winning out
> over the more crisp, compact Beta format. You saw Beta in TV stations,
> but not in most consumer's homes. VHS got forced through for financial
> reasons, not design superiority.
>
> Flash has some great features, but it just doesn't seem to play well
> with others as it should. The next logical step is to seek out the
> latest Flash version and see if an upgrade addresses this clunkiness, as
> the Mac runs like a champ otherwise. Firefox behaves too well in all
> other areas to be the likely culprit, either. Thanks.
>
> HPH

For what its worth, I'm using Flash version 6. and am experiencing no
problems OS 10.2.8