Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > can't receive email

can't receive email

Jack Martin

I was having trouble connecting to the internet and made the mistake and
called my ISP customer service, they had me change a couple of modem
settings. Corrected the connection problems I was having but now I can't
receive email with Thunderbird. If I use Outlook Express, I can get mail
but prefer TB. I am also having to wait for TB to "Build a summary file
for my inbox" everytime I open TB. Any suggestions on what to check?

Paddy

I think you have to set up thunderbird's default settings.
do this
click start and then run
type
C:\documents and settings\[current user]\Application Data\Thunderbird
and then delete that file

restart thunderbird and everything should work fine.

Doug G

Jack Martin wrote:
> I was having trouble connecting to the internet and made the mistake and
> called my ISP customer service, they had me change a couple of modem
> settings. Corrected the connection problems I was having but now I can't
> receive email with Thunderbird. If I use Outlook Express, I can get mail
> but prefer TB. I am also having to wait for TB to "Build a summary file
> for my inbox" everytime I open TB. Any suggestions on what to check?

Try this:
1. Close Thunderbird.
2. In Windows Explorer find your TB profile's \Mail\<mail.account.name>
folder.
3. Rename the Inbox file that has no extension to Oldinbox.
4. Delete the Inbox.msf file. Don't delete any extension-less files.
5. Empty Windows' Temp folder(s).
6. Restart Thunderbird and check for mail.

Default profile folder locations:
http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

Jack Martin

Doug G wrote:

> Jack Martin wrote:
>
>> I was having trouble connecting to the internet and made the mistake
>> and called my ISP customer service, they had me change a couple of
>> modem settings. Corrected the connection problems I was having but
>> now I can't receive email with Thunderbird. If I use Outlook Express,
>> I can get mail but prefer TB. I am also having to wait for TB to
>> "Build a summary file for my inbox" everytime I open TB. Any
>> suggestions on what to check?

> Try this:
> 1. Close Thunderbird.
> 2. In Windows Explorer find your TB profile's
> \Mail\<mail.account.name> folder.
> 3. Rename the Inbox file that has no extension to Oldinbox.
> 4. Delete the Inbox.msf file. Don't delete any extension-less files.
> 5. Empty Windows' Temp folder(s).
> 6. Restart Thunderbird and check for mail.
>
> Default profile folder locations:
> http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html

Doug,

That solved the problem. Thanks.