Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > reference to a "global" variable from within an aspx page

reference to a "global" variable from within an aspx page

Pierre

Hello,

In an aspx page (mypage.aspx) from a web projet,
I would like to get the value of a variable of the projet that is declared
as public in a module.
The variable can be called from anywhere in the code behind page and in the
class files, but when I try to call it from an aspx page, it raises an
error.

<%=myvar%> in mypage.aspx raise an error : the name "myvar" is not declared.

I have a workaround, but it does not satisfy me enough :

I create a code behind for the aspx page and I declared a class variable,
let's say "cls_myvar", with a default value equals to "myvar".
And now when referencing the "cls_myvar" in the aspx page, there is no error
and the value is here.

<%=cls_myvar%> is ok.

But I would like to reference to the global var "myvar" in the simpliest
way, ie whithout having to create a code behind file.

Thanks for any help.

Pierre.

Dan

Hi Pierre,

Personally one of the best features of .net is that we can now pull just
about every bit of code out of the form page itself so that web designers
and programmers can both work on what they do best. I have made so many
large sites and never needed to write <% =myVar %> , not since asp anyway.

Whatever it is you are setting to that value surely can be done on the code
behind with no need to go into the html?

Anyway i think your missing an understanding of classes. You said that you
set the var to public in the class, this makes that var public to everything
in that class and anything else from outside that makes an instance of that
object, in other words you haven't made a application global var, you have
made a class global var.

What you want to be doing is make an application global var in your
global.asx (thats what it is there for). Once you do this every aspx page
will be able to reference the global var.

I would then reference that global var in my code behind files to set values
in the page. I get the impression you prefer not to use the code behind
file? Why?

Anyway i hope that helps

--
Dan
"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> In an aspx page (mypage.aspx) from a web projet,
> I would like to get the value of a variable of the projet that is declared
> as public in a module.
> The variable can be called from anywhere in the code behind page and in
> the class files, but when I try to call it from an aspx page, it raises an
> error.
>
> <%=myvar%> in mypage.aspx raise an error : the name "myvar" is not
> declared.
>
> I have a workaround, but it does not satisfy me enough :
>
> I create a code behind for the aspx page and I declared a class variable,
> let's say "cls_myvar", with a default value equals to "myvar".
> And now when referencing the "cls_myvar" in the aspx page, there is no
> error and the value is here.
>
> <%=cls_myvar%> is ok.
>
> But I would like to reference to the global var "myvar" in the simpliest
> way, ie whithout having to create a code behind file.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Pierre.

Edwin Knoppert

Global's values can be seen by every user, so that is a no no.

"Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> In an aspx page (mypage.aspx) from a web projet,
> I would like to get the value of a variable of the projet that is declared
> as public in a module.
> The variable can be called from anywhere in the code behind page and in
> the class files, but when I try to call it from an aspx page, it raises an
> error.
>
> <%=myvar%> in mypage.aspx raise an error : the name "myvar" is not
> declared.
>
> I have a workaround, but it does not satisfy me enough :
>
> I create a code behind for the aspx page and I declared a class variable,
> let's say "cls_myvar", with a default value equals to "myvar".
> And now when referencing the "cls_myvar" in the aspx page, there is no
> error and the value is here.
>
> <%=cls_myvar%> is ok.
>
> But I would like to reference to the global var "myvar" in the simpliest
> way, ie whithout having to create a code behind file.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Pierre.

Pierre

Hello hello

Thank you for taking care af my OOP knowledge.
The pratical case is :
a plateform used localy for developpement (http://localhost/project), and
accedeed remotly by the custumer (http://www.dummy.com/project). Javascript
is used in the pages, with CSS and Images.
As you know (because you may know a lot of things, included the OOP), there
is some issues regarding the path to access to the CSS and images from the
javascript. In other word, there is a need for absolute url. The global var,
then, is dedicated to set the path dynamically in the url string inside the
CSS and the javascript file according to the access type : localy or
remotely.
As I do not want to build a gas factory to solve this issue that is raised
only during the dev, I just need a simple global var for that, temporary.
So everthing else is superfetatoire my dear.

See you.

Pierre.

%(E-Mail Removed)...