Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Simple VB.Net / webservice requirement (but not simple for me....)

Simple VB.Net / webservice requirement (but not simple for me....)

Dave E

Hi folks,

I have a fairly basic (and urgent) requirement, though being out of the game
for a few years I'm way behind the 8-ball here.

I need to do the following:

- have a scheduled VB.Net executable on one server which passes encrypted
data to a web server (more specifically to a web service written in ASP.Net
(VB) on the web server)

- this web service will then do 'stuff' with this data and return another
set of data to the VB executable.

The data must be encrypted and is just straight table data - nothing complex
at all, though there could be some pretty sizeable chunks passing between
boxes.

I'm having trouble deciphering all the ins and outs of SOAP and so on, so if
anyone can direct me to some sample code that could fast-track all of this I
would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Dave E (Sydney)
Making the move to this environment after years of development in VB 6.0 and
ASP and after being out of the game for about 2-3 yrs has reduced me to a
bumbling fool. Hopefully I'm not alone in this sad state!

Josh Twist

There's a SOAP toolkit available from Microsoft to enable you VB6 chaps
to call web services. Using the High Level API you should be able to
get away from worrying about the ins and outs of SOAP to much (thought
its actually pretty straight forward).

There's also a low-level API to allow you to get your hands really
dirty (in SOAP, ha ha) if you want/need to. There's documentation and
samples included in the download.

HTH

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

Josh Twist

Oops - just reread your post and I think I've misread it to start with.
You're not using old-skool VB6 at all are you? Sorry.

With .NET web services are very easy and you never really get to
worried about SOAP if you don't want to. First you create a web service
- you should get a HelloWorld web service when you use the Visual
Studio New Web Service template.

Then, in your client you simple add a Web Reference. There's heaps of
samples out there to get you started. Try here:
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...icesintro.aspx

Josh
http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

Dave E

"Josh Twist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Oops - just reread your post and I think I've misread it to start with.
> You're not using old-skool VB6 at all are you? Sorry.
>
> With .NET web services are very easy and you never really get to
> worried about SOAP if you don't want to. First you create a web service
> - you should get a HelloWorld web service when you use the Visual
> Studio New Web Service template.
>
> Then, in your client you simple add a Web Reference. There's heaps of
> samples out there to get you started. Try here:
> http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...icesintro.aspx
>
> Josh
> http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

Many thanks Josh. Actually, I should have said that I have written a few
very basic web services but it was more the passing of encrypted datasets
and this SOAP business that was concerning me. Looks like the $200 I just
spent on books and the links you sent above will keep me busy for a while...

Thanks very much mate, and cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

Josh Twist

If you need to encrypt web services messages have a look at Microsoft's
Web Services Enhancements (WSE) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservice.../building/wse/

This has built in support for the WS-I standard ways of doing things,
like encryption, for web services.

My last tip is to reconsider your use of DataSets - read Scott
Hanselman's thoughts on the subject here:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Return...nTheWorld.aspx

Good luck!