Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Your favorite tutorial for caching viewstate?

Your favorite tutorial for caching viewstate?

clintonG

I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
put Bessie back in the barn.
I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain state
should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of course
but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBNVlA=?=

First, add some wiring to user's chairs. Next, add current.

If you truly need to cache things, you can use session or cache or create
your own custom cache scheme. You cannot protect the user from him or
herself, however. Viewstate is stored in the page, so the user coming back
forward to the page will save this, but the server will not know if they go
back and start clicking away. Ugggh!

You can disable the back button, of course.

I had to work on an app with custom caching. We create a new base class
inherited from page that cleared all of the page cached for other pages when
a page was loaded. Something like that might work for you, unless you need
something to persist after user hits back and then plays with the site for
awhile and then returns. If so, your users need training.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

"clintonG" wrote:

> I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
> put Bessie back in the barn.
> I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain state
> should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of course
> but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher

Bruce Barker

there is nothing more annoying then sites that disable the back button, or
worse just warn you not to. you should code your site to support the back.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First, add some wiring to user's chairs. Next, add current.
>
> If you truly need to cache things, you can use session or cache or create
> your own custom cache scheme. You cannot protect the user from him or
> herself, however. Viewstate is stored in the page, so the user coming back
> forward to the page will save this, but the server will not know if they
> go
> back and start clicking away. Ugggh!
>
> You can disable the back button, of course.
>
> I had to work on an app with custom caching. We create a new base class
> inherited from page that cleared all of the page cached for other pages
> when
> a page was loaded. Something like that might work for you, unless you need
> something to persist after user hits back and then plays with the site for
> awhile and then returns. If so, your users need training.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> ***************************
> Think Outside the Box!
> ***************************
>

> "clintonG" wrote:
>
>> I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
>> put Bessie back in the barn.
>> I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain
>> state
>> should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of
>> course
>> but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
>>
>> <%= Clinton Gallagher

I did a piece some time ago based on some earlier work by Robert
Boedigheimer, here:

Also, Rick Strahl has a wonderful component for storing per-control
properties not using Viewstate, here:
http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/4094.aspx

I've also ported Rick's code back to ASP.NET 1.1

Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"clintonG" wrote:

> I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
> put Bessie back in the barn.
> I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain state
> should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of course
> but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher

clintonG

Those Cowboys get radical
I wouldn't disable the back button myself but as Greg reminds I may have to
devise a custom scheme. I'm going to read the stuff Peter has suggested.
Thanks for comments fellas...

<%= Clinton Gallagher

"Bruce Barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> there is nothing more annoying then sites that disable the back button, or
> worse just warn you not to. you should code your site to support the back.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

> "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First, add some wiring to user's chairs. Next, add current.
>>
>> If you truly need to cache things, you can use session or cache or create
>> your own custom cache scheme. You cannot protect the user from him or
>> herself, however. Viewstate is stored in the page, so the user coming
>> back
>> forward to the page will save this, but the server will not know if they
>> go
>> back and start clicking away. Ugggh!
>>
>> You can disable the back button, of course.
>>
>> I had to work on an app with custom caching. We create a new base class
>> inherited from page that cleared all of the page cached for other pages
>> when
>> a page was loaded. Something like that might work for you, unless you
>> need
>> something to persist after user hits back and then plays with the site
>> for
>> awhile and then returns. If so, your users need training.
>>
>> --
>> Gregory A. Beamer
>> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>>
>> ***************************
>> Think Outside the Box!
>> ***************************
>>

>> "clintonG" wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need
>>> put Bessie back in the barn.
>>> I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain
>>> state
>>> should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of
>>> course
>>> but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
>>>
>>> <%= Clinton Gallagher

clintonG

I'm on my way. Thanks for those leads...

<%= Clinton Gallagher

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did a piece some time ago based on some earlier work by Robert
> Boedigheimer, here:
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20040613.asp
>
> Also, Rick Strahl has a wonderful component for storing per-control
> properties not using Viewstate, here:
> http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/4094.aspx
>
> I've also ported Rick's code back to ASP.NET 1.1
>
> Peter
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> UnBlog:
> http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
>

> "clintonG" wrote:
>
>> I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
>> put Bessie back in the barn.
>> I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain
>> state
>> should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of
>> course
>> but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
>>
>> <%= Clinton Gallagher

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyZHk=?=

I'm also evaluating options to better manage viewstate. I've just started to
do some research and the few articles and tutorials that I have seen similar
to those referenced all use C#. Is this coincidence or is this a limitation
of vb?

Thanks

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" wrote:

> I did a piece some time ago based on some earlier work by Robert
> Boedigheimer, here:
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20040613.asp
>
> Also, Rick Strahl has a wonderful component for storing per-control
> properties not using Viewstate, here:
> http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/4094.aspx
>
> I've also ported Rick's code back to ASP.NET 1.1
>
> Peter
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> UnBlog:
> http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
>

> "clintonG" wrote:
>
> > I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
> > put Bessie back in the barn.
> > I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain state
> > should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of course
> > but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
> >
> > <%= Clinton Gallagher

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyZHk=?=

Okay silly question. Here's a link for all you VB folks

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/Se...State.asp#xxxx

"Mardy" wrote:

> I'm also evaluating options to better manage viewstate. I've just started to
> do some research and the few articles and tutorials that I have seen similar
> to those referenced all use C#. Is this coincidence or is this a limitation
> of vb?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" wrote:
>
> > I did a piece some time ago based on some earlier work by Robert
> > Boedigheimer, here:
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20040613.asp
> >
> > Also, Rick Strahl has a wonderful component for storing per-control
> > properties not using Viewstate, here:
> > http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/4094.aspx
> >
> > I've also ported Rick's code back to ASP.NET 1.1
> >
> > Peter
> > --
> > Co-founder, Eggheadcafe.com developer portal:
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> > UnBlog:
> > http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
> >

> > "clintonG" wrote:
> >
> > > I've got a big fat cow -- a wiazrd control with 19 steps -- and I need to
> > > put Bessie back in the barn.
> > > I need to learn how to cache the Viewstate for this page and maintain state
> > > should the user hit the browser's back button. I'm looking around of course
> > > but ask what are your favorite tutorials for this objective?
> > >
> > > <%= Clinton Gallagher

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyZHk=?=

Okay silly question. Here's a link for all you vb devlopers