Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Spybot's advice for blocking 3rd party cookies with Firefox

Spybot's advice for blocking 3rd party cookies with Firefox

History Fan

I got this text from Spybot's home page. Anyone disagree with this
advice?

<< Open "Options" from the "Tools" menu. Click the "Privacy" icon, and open
the "Cookies" category. Under "Allow sites to set cookies", just set the
"for the originating web site only" option. >>

Roland

On 5-8-2005 0:59, History Fan wrote:

> I got this text from Spybot's home page. Anyone disagree with this
> advice?
>
> << Open "Options" from the "Tools" menu. Click the "Privacy" icon, and open
> the "Cookies" category. Under "Allow sites to set cookies", just set the
> "for the originating web site only" option. >>

I think it's a good advice. I've configure my cookie settings like this.
The primary advantage I can see is that the prevents ad companies
--which 'insert' images and scripts into the original site-- from
tracking your visit to the original site.
Until now I've never encountered a site that wouldn't display properly
while 3rd party cookies were blocked.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___
`/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Moz Champion

Roland wrote:
> On 5-8-2005 0:59, History Fan wrote:
>
>> I got this text from Spybot's home page. Anyone disagree with
>> this advice?
>>
>> << Open "Options" from the "Tools" menu. Click the "Privacy" icon, and
>> open the "Cookies" category. Under "Allow sites to set cookies", just
>> set the "for the originating web site only" option. >>
>>

> I think it's a good advice. I've configure my cookie settings like this.
> The primary advantage I can see is that the prevents ad companies
> --which 'insert' images and scripts into the original site-- from
> tracking your visit to the original site.
> Until now I've never encountered a site that wouldn't display properly
> while 3rd party cookies were blocked.

I dont disagree with it per se, but I dont see the requirement to do it
(block cookies where-ever they come from). I accept all cookies and just
leave it at that.