Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Printing to a local printer

Printing to a local printer

Daniel Fisher

Hi there,

Our client has a requirement to print labels from the web site to a local
printer. i.e. user logs onto web site and click a print button and the
address is printed to a label printer connected to the user's computer.

After much searching I think I've come to the conclusion that these are
the
only possible ways of doing this:

1. Javascript Window.print()
2. Using mail merge with MS Word which opens Word and printing from there.
3. Using Crystal Reports to generate a .PDF and printing from there.
4. Using an ActiveX control (?)

Since the user is using a dedicated label printer, #1 won't work. Using
Crystal Reports may not be possible due to licensing issues (looking into
it
now) plus it seems like overkill for a simple little label. I don't know
anything about using ActiveX controls so it looks like #2 is the only
feasable option since we will be using it for printing generated
documents.

I am currently looking at sharing the label printer but my first attempts
were unsuccessful.

Can anyone confirm that these are the only options to printing to a local
printer from a browser?

Thanks,

Carlo.