Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > New to ASP.NET 2.0

New to ASP.NET 2.0

Newbie

Hi all,

I used to develop my web application using ASP classic and ASP.NET 1.1. And
with the advent of ASP.NET 2.0, I'm now building my first ASP.NET 2.0 web
application using VWD on XP Pro SP2 with SQL Server as my DB backend. I got
several questions here:
- How to set up IIS to use with VWD?
I tried to set it up normally (like I always do before) by creating a
virtual directory in IIS pointing to my project folder. But using this
approach, I never succeeded in testing my authentication/authorization
modules which I built with ASP.NET built-in classes (create new users/login
etc). When I tested the same appl using it's built-in Cassini Web Server (by
clicking 'View in Browser' menu on the Solution Explorer it's just works
fine. While this is OK to test a single page, I still need the ability to
fires several page at once to - for example - check several login for
different user role and see wheather it landed on the right page/folder etc.
- How to implement my own logic while using the ASP.NET 2.0 built-in
authentication/authorization classes?
For example, I want to send an activation email to a newly registered
customers, allowing them to click the link inside it to really activate
their account and also verify the email account they entered. I used to do
this the 'hard-way' in ASP and ASP.NET 1.1 before, though it's works just
fine it's still a lot of work to be done just to achieve this functionality.
With ASP.NET 2.0, at least I expected something easier to do this, just like
what it claims to reduce upto 70% of code
- How to access the 'Website Administration' modules in a hosted server?
The typical URL in my local server is:
http://localhost:1273/asp.netwebadmi.../CollectionNet
I mean, when sometime after deployed my appl to my ASP.NET 2.0 enabled
hosting server, I need to change several access logics/authorization for
some roles, how will I do this?
- Is there anyway I can built my own class DLL with VWD? What minimal
version do I need to have this functionality?

Ok, that's all for now guys. I really need to have some insights. I
appreciate your helps.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Christopher Reed

> - How to set up IIS to use with VWD?
I'll start with this one. You might consider reposting each of your
questions separately; you might get a better response.

Assuming that you're using the File System website (C:\Website), you can
configure this to use IIS within VWD. First of all, you have to already
have your website (subweb) set up in IIS. Make sure, using the ASP.NET tab
in IIS, that the ASP.NET version is 2.0. Then, under the Solution Explorer
in VWD, select the directory name at the top and right click. At the bottom
of the menu is Property Pages. Click on this and then select the Start
Options option. If you notice at the bottom of this page, the Server
section with the radio button for Use default server marked. If you change
this to Use custom server, then the textbox next to it will be made active.
In this textbox, put your IIS website (http://localhost/website). Click OK
(or Apply and anything else) and each time you open your web pages, it
should be using the IIS website in place of the built-in Cassini web server.

Hope this helps!
--
Christopher A. Reed

"Newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I used to develop my web application using ASP classic and ASP.NET 1.1.
> And with the advent of ASP.NET 2.0, I'm now building my first ASP.NET 2.0
> web application using VWD on XP Pro SP2 with SQL Server as my DB backend.
> I got several questions here:
> - How to set up IIS to use with VWD?
> I tried to set it up normally (like I always do before) by creating a
> virtual directory in IIS pointing to my project folder. But using this
> approach, I never succeeded in testing my authentication/authorization
> modules which I built with ASP.NET built-in classes (create new
> users/login etc). When I tested the same appl using it's built-in Cassini
> Web Server (by clicking 'View in Browser' menu on the Solution Explorer
> it's just works fine. While this is OK to test a single page, I still need
> the ability to fires several page at once to - for example - check several
> login for different user role and see wheather it landed on the right
> page/folder etc.
> - How to implement my own logic while using the ASP.NET 2.0 built-in
> authentication/authorization classes?
> For example, I want to send an activation email to a newly registered
> customers, allowing them to click the link inside it to really activate
> their account and also verify the email account they entered. I used to do
> this the 'hard-way' in ASP and ASP.NET 1.1 before, though it's works just
> fine it's still a lot of work to be done just to achieve this
> functionality. With ASP.NET 2.0, at least I expected something easier to
> do this, just like what it claims to reduce upto 70% of code
> - How to access the 'Website Administration' modules in a hosted server?
> The typical URL in my local server is:
> http://localhost:1273/asp.netwebadmi.../CollectionNet
> I mean, when sometime after deployed my appl to my ASP.NET 2.0 enabled
> hosting server, I need to change several access logics/authorization for
> some roles, how will I do this?
> - Is there anyway I can built my own class DLL with VWD? What minimal
> version do I need to have this functionality?
>
> Ok, that's all for now guys. I really need to have some insights. I
> appreciate your helps.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andy

Newbie

Many thanks, Chris.

It works. I can now works normally with IIS. Thanks also for the advice.

Regards,
Andy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...