Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Switching from http to https and back

Switching from http to https and back

Mark Rae

Hi,

I'm presently upgrading a v1.1 ASP.NET app to v2. Parts of site run under
SSL and parts don't, and the site uses this code:

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/WebPageSecurity.asp

to switch between them - works perfectly.

Setting up which files and/or folders need to run under https is a simple
matter of adding some web.config settings. The code appears to run perfectly
well under v2, but gives lots of warnings when the site is compiled. The
relevant settings in web.config are as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<configSections>
<section name="secureWebPages"
type="Hyper.Web.Security.SecureWebPageSectionHandl er, WebPageSecurity"
allowLocation="false"/>
</configSections>
<secureWebPages>
<directory path="security"/>
</secureWebPages>
<system.web>
<httpModules>
<add name="SecureWebPage"
type="Hyper.Web.Security.SecureWebPageModule, WebPageSecurity"/>
</httpModules>
</system.web>
</configuration>

The warnings messages are:

Could not find schema information for the element 'secureWebPages'.
Could not find schema information for the element 'directory'.
Could not find schema information for the attribute 'path'.

As I said, the assembly appears to work perfectly under v2 of the Framework,
so:

1) Do I need to be concerned about the warning messages?

2) Is there a way to specify the settings in web.config which the assembly
needs which will not generate the warning messages?

3) There doesn't appear to be a v2 version of the assembly available, but is
there a "native" v2 way of achieving the same functionality?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

S. Justin Gengo

Mark,

I'm afraid that I don't know how to eliminate the warnings, but (and anyone
please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think you need to worry about them.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm presently upgrading a v1.1 ASP.NET app to v2. Parts of site run under
> SSL and parts don't, and the site uses this code:
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/WebPageSecurity.asp
>
> to switch between them - works perfectly.
>
> Setting up which files and/or folders need to run under https is a simple
> matter of adding some web.config settings. The code appears to run
> perfectly well under v2, but gives lots of warnings when the site is
> compiled. The relevant settings in web.config are as follows:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <configuration>
> <configSections>
> <section name="secureWebPages"
> type="Hyper.Web.Security.SecureWebPageSectionHandl er, WebPageSecurity"
> allowLocation="false"/>
> </configSections>
> <secureWebPages>
> <directory path="security"/>
> </secureWebPages>
> <system.web>
> <httpModules>
> <add name="SecureWebPage"
> type="Hyper.Web.Security.SecureWebPageModule, WebPageSecurity"/>
> </httpModules>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>
>
> The warnings messages are:
>
> Could not find schema information for the element 'secureWebPages'.
> Could not find schema information for the element 'directory'.
> Could not find schema information for the attribute 'path'.
>
> As I said, the assembly appears to work perfectly under v2 of the
> Framework, so:
>
> 1) Do I need to be concerned about the warning messages?
>
> 2) Is there a way to specify the settings in web.config which the assembly
> needs which will not generate the warning messages?
>
> 3) There doesn't appear to be a v2 version of the assembly available, but
> is there a "native" v2 way of achieving the same functionality?
>
> Any assistance gratefully received.
>
> Mark

Mark Rae

"S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
message news:elVM%(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm afraid that I don't know how to eliminate the warnings, but (and
> anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think you need to worry
> about them.

Thanks for that - like I said, my initial testing shows that it works
perfectly in v2 despite the warnings from VS.NET 2005.

I'd still be interested to know if there's a different / better way of
achieving this in ASP.NET 2...