Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > How to COMPLETELY delete Firefox and extensions

How to COMPLETELY delete Firefox and extensions

Emily

Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It won't
bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one of my
tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus are
disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was working
fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago that my
Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared, which may
have had something to do with the problem.

So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and install
FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of all of it,
because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my extensions are still
there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed up with no tabs, no
pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.

How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!

Thanks much!
Emily

roland.E.oderant

Emily said the following on 8/2/05 12:46 PM:

> Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It
> won't bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one
> of my tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus
> are disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was
> working fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago
> that my Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared,
> which may have had something to do with the problem.
>
> So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and
> install FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of
> all of it, because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my
> extensions are still there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed
> up with no tabs, no pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.
>
> How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
> from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
> can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!
>
> Thanks much!
> Emily

Try scrubbing your profile and starting again.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef...profilemanager

--
Gadge

http://www.btinternet.com/~gadgerama

Jedi Fans

The One wrote:
> "Emily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It won't
>> bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one of my
>> tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus are
>> disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was working
>> fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago that my
>> Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared, which may
>> have had something to do with the problem.
>>
>> So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and install
>> FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of all of it,
>> because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my extensions are still
>> there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed up with no tabs, no
>> pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.
>>
>> How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
>> from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
>> can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!
>>
>> Thanks much!
>> Emily

> Whats wrong with IE.

too many to list... check secunia.com

shegeek72

The One wrote:

> Whats wrong with IE.

Many things. For example, when I was using IE someone was getting into
my computer, through my anti-virus and firewall, and altering the
autofill info. Fortunately, he was just a jokester and changed the
autofill info to funny names, but he just as easily could've been
malicious. Since Firefox is cross-platform, the Linux crowd is able to
continually improve it's code v. IE's proprietary source code. IE is a
security risk -- no one should use it (useless you *want* to be
exploited, like a honeypot, or have enough security expertise to run it
safely).

Note the number of exploits of IE v. Mozilla/Firefox:
http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/

alt.hacker is a good place for learning about, and neutralizing,
exploits.

SG
--
Keyboard not found -- press F1 to continue.

Emily

roland.E.oderant wrote:
> Emily said the following on 8/2/05 12:46 PM:
>
>> Firefox just stopped working for me yesterday (version 1.0.4). It
>> won't bring up my home "tabs", the main title bar has the title of one
>> of my tabs on it instead of "Mozilla Firefox", all the pull-down menus
>> are disabled, and I can't enter any text into the URL line. It was
>> working fine up until now, although I noticed a couple of days ago
>> that my Roboform toolbar and my IEview extenstion had disappeared,
>> which may have had something to do with the problem.
>>
>> So, I attempted to uninstall FF 1.0.4 from the control panel and
>> install FF 1.0.6, but obviously the "uninstall" does not get rid of
>> all of it, because bringing up FF 1.0.6, my chosen skin and my
>> extensions are still there (like spoofstick), but it still is messed
>> up with no tabs, no pull-down menus, can't type a URL in, and so forth.
>>
>> How do I COMPLETELY delete FF, extensions and all, so I can start over
>> from scratch? Any idea how it got so messed up to begin with? I just
>> can't go back to IE with all the pop-ups!
>>
>> Thanks much!
>> Emily

> Try scrubbing your profile and starting again.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef...profilemanager

Thanks! This got me started. I didn't want to scrub the entire thing
since I had so many things stored in it, but I deleted the contents of
the Extensions and Cache folders, and everything was fine after that.
Re-installed the few extensions I wanted, and I am good to go again.
Whew. Thanks very much for the idea....

Emily