Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Open EXE instead of saving to disk

Reply
Thread Tools

Open EXE instead of saving to disk

 
 
Mike Lifshitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2005
By default Firefox prompts me to save an EXE file to disk. Open is not an
option. Is it possible for Firefox to allow EXE files to be run instead of
saved?

Thanks,
Mike



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hendrik Maryns
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2005
Mike Lifshitz uitte de volgende tekst op 1/08/2005 22:12:
> By default Firefox prompts me to save an EXE file to disk. Open is not an
> option. Is it possible for Firefox to allow EXE files to be run instead of
> saved?


It is a very conscious (and wise) design decision to make that
impossible in Firefox.

--
Hendrik Maryns

Interesting websites:
www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Lifshitz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2005
Hi Hendrik,

I disagree that it should be impossible. Disabled by default, sure. I would
only run an executable file from a site that I trusted. Since I no longer
collect EXE files, I would rather run them and have them deleted from the
temp folder by Windows than manage them myself.

But thanks for the reply...I can stop looking now.

Mike

"Hendrik Maryns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Lifshitz uitte de volgende tekst op 1/08/2005 22:12:
>> By default Firefox prompts me to save an EXE file to disk. Open is not an
>> option. Is it possible for Firefox to allow EXE files to be run instead
>> of
>> saved?

>
> It is a very conscious (and wise) design decision to make that impossible
> in Firefox.
>
> --
> Hendrik Maryns
>
> Interesting websites:
> www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
> www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
> aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare




 
Reply With Quote
 
Damian Dollahite
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2005
Mike Lifshitz wrote:
> Hi Hendrik,
>
> I disagree that it should be impossible. Disabled by default, sure. I would
> only run an executable file from a site that I trusted. Since I no longer
> collect EXE files, I would rather run them and have them deleted from the
> temp folder by Windows than manage them myself.
>
> But thanks for the reply...I can stop looking now.
>


Windows hardly ever deletes anything from the temp folder. It usually
just lets it sit there and waste disk space. Why do you think there are
so many "Windows Cleaner" programs around?

Anyway, I know there are some extensions for Firefox that allow
downloaded files to be autorun, but I don't know if any of them have an
option to delete the file afterward.

--
Ryukage
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charani
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2005
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:32:38 -0400, Mike Lifshitz wrote:


> I disagree that it should be impossible. Disabled by default, sure. I would
> only run an executable file from a site that I trusted. Since I no longer
> collect EXE files, I would rather run them and have them deleted from the
> temp folder by Windows than manage them myself.
>
> But thanks for the reply...I can stop looking now.


Even .exe files from trusted sources can get infected. Far better to
save, scan and install, than to end up with a PC rendered unusable
through malware.
 
Reply With Quote
 
meitak meitak is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
 
      11-20-2006
Um, you guys are being way too paranoid. If you know who you're downloading from and use some common sense, you're going to be safe for the most part. Not allowing opening of .exe's is a good idea for most people, but for some who know what they're doing, we don't need big brother making our lives more difficult. Auto-opening of .exe's should be an allowable option, disabled by default. Heck, even microsoft's browser lets us do this. I'm going to keep searching for an addon that allows this.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saving a file to the response stream instead of disk DC ASP .Net 0 01-15-2008 04:35 PM
Is there a way to tell if a script has been run by Pythonw.exe instead of Python.exe? Metalone Python 5 10-19-2007 08:25 PM
Open EXE instead of saving to disk Mike Lifshitz Firefox 0 08-01-2005 08:06 PM
saving .zip or .txt email attachments instead of deleting them scrimp Python 6 06-03-2005 05:42 PM
Re: Saving channels by collapsing a call instead of bridging? aip Cisco 0 06-24-2003 04:21 PM



Advertisments