Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can anyone confirm?

Can anyone confirm?

Kouros

Tried to post this earlier, but it seems to have vanished into the
ether. If it shows up twice, sorry!

Anyway...

I've just tried to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool at

http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...fault.mspx#run

on my XP box. Needless to say, it didn't work.

As far as I can tell the only reason it was preventing me from using it
was because I was using Firefox (having tried a variety of settings).

Anyone else had a similar experience, and any suggestions why it would
be blocking me... or is this just an attempt by MS to encourage people
back to IE by careful wording and subtle digs at a rival browser?

For what it's worth, I tried the same using IE6 with everything turned
right up to paranoid, down to naive and everything inbetween. Worked
fine. Oddness.

Doug G

Kouros wrote:
> Tried to post this earlier, but it seems to have vanished into the
> ether. If it shows up twice, sorry!
>
> Anyway...
>
> I've just tried to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool at
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...fault.mspx#run
>
> on my XP box. Needless to say, it didn't work.
>
> As far as I can tell the only reason it was preventing me from using it
> was because I was using Firefox (having tried a variety of settings).
>
> Anyone else had a similar experience, and any suggestions why it would
> be blocking me... or is this just an attempt by MS to encourage people
> back to IE by careful wording and subtle digs at a rival browser?
>
> For what it's worth, I tried the same using IE6 with everything turned
> right up to paranoid, down to naive and everything inbetween. Worked
> fine. Oddness.

I guess MS wants people to use IE.

I run the program whenever XP downloads automatic updates.

Colyn

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:14:04 +0100, Kouros <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just tried to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool at
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...fault.mspx#run
>
>on my XP box. Needless to say, it didn't work.
>
>As far as I can tell the only reason it was preventing me from using it
>was because I was using Firefox (having tried a variety of settings).
>
>Anyone else had a similar experience, and any suggestions why it would
>be blocking me... or is this just an attempt by MS to encourage people
>back to IE by careful wording and subtle digs at a rival browser?
>
>For what it's worth, I tried the same using IE6 with everything turned
>right up to paranoid, down to naive and everything inbetween. Worked
>fine. Oddness.

Pretty much anything you do at the microsoft site except browse has to
be done with IE.

It's their way of forcing us to use IE.

--
Colyn Goodson

http://www.colyngoodson.com

Kouros

Colyn wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:14:04 +0100, Kouros <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Pretty much anything you do at the microsoft site except browse has to
> be done with IE.
>
> It's their way of forcing us to use IE.

Figured it would be, but just surprised they didn't just say it, rather
than mumbling something about security settings.

Jim Thompson

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:25:33 +0100, Kouros <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Colyn wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:14:04 +0100, Kouros <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Pretty much anything you do at the microsoft site except browse has to
>> be done with IE.
>>
>> It's their way of forcing us to use IE.

>Figured it would be, but just surprised they didn't just say it, rather
>than mumbling something about security settings.

I just ran into that while reinstalling NAV... wouldn't play with
FireFox... had to switch to IE

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Does anyone Know Anyone at Maas Rowe I can talk to channing28270@gmail.com Computer Support 3 07-05-2006 08:27 AM
Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :) MarkČ Digital Photography 34 05-20-2006 11:16 AM
Anyone?? Anyone at all?? JDS HTML 2 09-29-2005 07:10 PM
Anyone know anyone in Toronto Canada that will write your Mcsa Exams MonkeyMunx Microsoft Certification 17 01-05-2004 03:37 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Steve Williams Python 0 09-16-2003 03:26 AM

Advertisments