Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ObjectDataSource '---' could not find a non-generic method 'Update'

ObjectDataSource '---' could not find a non-generic method 'Update'

Nir.Hazan@gmail.com

When I try to update my GridView I get the error:

ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not find a non-generic
method 'Update' that has parameters: CustomerID, EmployeeID, OrderDate,
RequiredDate, ShippedDate, ShipVia, Freight, ShipName, ShipAddress,
ShipCity, ShipRegion, ShipPostalCode, ShipCountry, original_OrderID.

Details:
VS2005 C# website.
GridView is bound to a ObjectDataSource1.
ObjectDataSource1 is bound to a xsd Typed Dataset (dsOrders.xsd).
dsOrders has a DataTable and a TableAdapter to SQL Northwind / Orders
Which uses stored procedures created OK by the wizard

All is done without coding. Just Drag and Drop.

The grid shows the data, and deletes rows OK.
Only update errors.

Please help.
NH. (-:

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBNVlA=?=

When using an ObjectDataSource, there is still a small amount of coding
necessary to roundtrip. The Update() method is one of these items. I am just
getting back into the GUI for a project, so I am not familiar if there is a
way to simplify this in VS, but coding a method is teh best option I know of.

If you want to roundtrip data with pure drag and drop, consider on of the
other "source" objects, like SqlDataSource or AccessDataSource. If you are
doing some form of ORM, you have a bit of plumbing to complete.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> When I try to update my GridView I get the error:
>
> ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not find a non-generic
> method 'Update' that has parameters: CustomerID, EmployeeID, OrderDate,
> RequiredDate, ShippedDate, ShipVia, Freight, ShipName, ShipAddress,
> ShipCity, ShipRegion, ShipPostalCode, ShipCountry, original_OrderID.
>
> Details:
> VS2005 C# website.
> GridView is bound to a ObjectDataSource1.
> ObjectDataSource1 is bound to a xsd Typed Dataset (dsOrders.xsd).
> dsOrders has a DataTable and a TableAdapter to SQL Northwind / Orders
> Which uses stored procedures created OK by the wizard
>
> All is done without coding. Just Drag and Drop.
>
> The grid shows the data, and deletes rows OK.
> Only update errors.
>
> Please help.
> NH. (-:

Nir.Hazan@gmail.com

This is a behavior test to find out what is the best method to work
with data.
Writing my own DAL classes will do a cleaner job but they will require
far more manual coding.
On the other hand, pure drag and drop is much quicker, but if its a
no-go, who needs is anyway?
Is this the case?