Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Redirection Limit

Redirection Limit

John

After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
be caused by cookies that are blocked." I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

I have changed cookie settings with no results. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Ralph Fox

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, in message
*<404ee$42e6bbe3$944002db$(E-Mail Removed)>, John wrote:

> After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
> limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
> be caused by cookies that are blocked."

The error is associated with "this URL", whichever that is.
What is the URL?

> I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
> still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

What are the URLs of these web pages?

> I have changed cookie settings with no results.

Cookies will only affect it if the server bases its decision on
where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 below, on the cookies
which the browser has. Sometimes servers do, often they don't.

> Any ideas would be
> appreciated.

You should already know that a web server can redirect some pages
so the browser goes to a different page. For example, if you go
to http://www.xtra.co.nz/ the web server will redirect you to go
to http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/

My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
because of a fault with how the web site is set up.

1. You select a URL http://server/page

2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.

3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
your browser to a different URL.

4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
for this (new) URL.

5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
your browser to a different URL.

6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.

7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
be redirected for any one page.

If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
this website fault differently.
• Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
• Some browsers will show a page with a message
like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
the "404 Not found" page.

If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

John

The most annoying redirection popup window is coming from eBay. When I try
and go to "My Ebay" after logging on to eBay the window is displayed. If I
go to any other eBay page first, instead of "My Ebay" then I don't get the
popup. I can then go to "My Ebay" from whatever eBay page and I don't get
the popup and "My Ebay" loads normally. It is only when I go to "My Ebay"
first after logging on to eBay.

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, in message
> <404ee$42e6bbe3$944002db$(E-Mail Removed)>, John wrote:
>
>> After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads
>> "Redirection
>> limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This
>> may
>> be caused by cookies that are blocked."

> The error is associated with "this URL", whichever that is.
> What is the URL?
>
>> I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
>> still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

> What are the URLs of these web pages?
>
>> I have changed cookie settings with no results.

> Cookies will only affect it if the server bases its decision on
> where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 below, on the cookies
> which the browser has. Sometimes servers do, often they don't.
>

>> Any ideas would be
>> appreciated.

> You should already know that a web server can redirect some pages
> so the browser goes to a different page. For example, if you go
> to http://www.xtra.co.nz/ the web server will redirect you to go
> to http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/
>

> My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
> because of a fault with how the web site is set up.
>
> 1. You select a URL http://server/page
>
> 2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.
>
> 3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
> your browser to a different URL.
>
> 4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
> for this (new) URL.
>
> 5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
> your browser to a different URL.
>
> 6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.
>
> 7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
> each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
> be redirected for any one page.
>
> If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
> this website fault differently.
> . Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
> . Some browsers will show a page with a message
> like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
> the "404 Not found" page.
>

> If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
> need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Ralph
>
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way:
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

Charani

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, John wrote:

> After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
> limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
> be caused by cookies that are blocked." I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
> still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

I had the same thing happen this morning when I clicked on the Tall
Ships Race 2005 link from a BBC news page
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4722301.stm), however, when I
clicked on the Sail Training International link (which did work) I was
able to get to the 2005 Race page with no problems. I presumed that
the site had had too many hits

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:34:20 -0500, in message
*<7147f$42e8145d$944002db$(E-Mail Removed)>, John wrote:

> "Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz...

--snip--

> > My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
> > because of a fault with how the web site is set up.
> >
> > 1. You select a URL http://server/page
> >
> > 2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.
> >
> > 3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
> > your browser to a different URL.
> >
> > 4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
> > for this (new) URL.
> >
> > 5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
> > your browser to a different URL.
> >
> > 6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.
> >
> > 7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
> > each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
> > be redirected for any one page.
> >
> > If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
> > this website fault differently.
> > . Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
> > . Some browsers will show a page with a message
> > like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
> > the "404 Not found" page.
> >

> > If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
> > need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).

> The most annoying redirection popup window is coming from eBay. When I try
> and go to "My Ebay" after logging on to eBay the window is displayed.

I don't have an eBay account (TradeMe is far more popular
here), so I can't check this out. Maybe someone else, with
an eBay login, will do so for you.

> If I
> go to any other eBay page first, instead of "My Ebay" then I don't get the
> popup. I can then go to "My Ebay" from whatever eBay page and I don't get
> the popup and "My Ebay" loads normally. It is only when I go to "My Ebay"
> first after logging on to eBay.

Can you give any other, publicly accessible, URLs which
show this problem?

One other thought: maybe the server bases its decision on
where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 above, on which
browser it sees you are using. If so, you may be able to
fool the server into thinking you are using a different
browser, by using the "User Agent Switcher" extension for
Firefox.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

Some shareware has a time limit and the software will not work after the time limit has expired. anthony crowder Computer Support 20 01-16-2007 10:01 AM
c program, file size limit, how to solve? 2G bytes limit. guru.slt@gmail.com C++ 1 06-27-2005 11:05 PM
webcrawle with LWP: how to make redirection work? S Perl 1 01-14-2004 06:51 AM
input redirection MadHatter Perl 6 10-16-2003 04:05 PM
wccp 3550emi and Cacheflow 800 - transparent caching redirection news.tm.net.my Cisco 0 07-17-2003 02:48 AM

Advertisments