Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Damned red arrow won't go away!

Damned red arrow won't go away!

Captain Infinity

OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.

A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my activity
flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if there are any updates.
It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the following available updates".

The box is empty.

I am presented with two choices: Install Now or Cancel. Naturally, since there
is nothing to install, I click Cancel.

But the damned red arrow doesn't go away. So I click it again, and again the
program checks for updates, and again the box is empty. This time, for grins
and giggles, I click Install Now.

Firefox then goes into "Now downloading and installing updates" mode. And never
stops. The little flicker just keeps circling and circling. Forever, or until
I click the red X to shut it off.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I can ignore
the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to download
(unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?

**
Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity wrote:
> Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I can ignore
> the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to download
> (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?

Download FF 1.0.6.
Uninstall 1.0.5.
Install 1.0.6.

Jedi Fans

Z wrote:
> Captain Infinity wrote:
>> Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I
>> can ignore
>> the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to
>> download
>> (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?

> Download FF 1.0.6.
> Uninstall 1.0.5.
> Install 1.0.6.

there is no need to uninstall a previous version anymore...

Jedi Fans wrote:
>> Download FF 1.0.6.
>> Uninstall 1.0.5.
>> Install 1.0.6.

> there is no need to uninstall a previous version anymore...

So they say ... but once bitten, twice shy. It takes only a few minutes
and gives me peace of mind.

bejay

Captain Infinity <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.
>
> A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my
> activity flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if
> there are any updates. It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the
> following available updates".
>
> The box is empty.
>

> **
> Captain Infinity

I had exactly the same problem after installing FF 1.0.6 without first
uninstallling FF 1.0.5. However, after several re-starts of the
computer/Firefox the red arrow changed back ti its normal blue/yellow
icon. Don't know what gives but I'm happy now!

bejay

Captain Infinity

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front
door.
There is a small mailbox here.
>Read article by bejay:

>Captain Infinity <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.
>>
>> A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my
>> activity flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if
>> there are any updates. It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the
>> following available updates".
>>
>> The box is empty.

>I had exactly the same problem after installing FF 1.0.6 without first
>uninstallling FF 1.0.5. However, after several re-starts of the
>computer/Firefox the red arrow changed back ti its normal blue/yellow
>icon. Don't know what gives but I'm happy now!

Me too. The red arrow is gone today. Maybe Firefox needed to sleep on it.

**
Captain Infinity

GTD

>West of House
>You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front
>door.
>There is a small mailbox here.

S.E.

You are standing in a clearing to the ease of the house. The house has
a window. The window is ajar.

spooknews

Captain Infinity wrote:
> OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.
>
> A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my activity
> flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if there are any updates.
> It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the following available updates".
>
> The box is empty.
>
> I am presented with two choices: Install Now or Cancel. Naturally, since there
> is nothing to install, I click Cancel.
>
> But the damned red arrow doesn't go away. So I click it again, and again the
> program checks for updates, and again the box is empty. This time, for grins
> and giggles, I click Install Now.
>
> Firefox then goes into "Now downloading and installing updates" mode. And never
> stops. The little flicker just keeps circling and circling. Forever, or until
> I click the red X to shut it off.
>
> Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I can ignore
> the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to download
> (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?
>

> **
> Captain Infinity

Yeah. That's the same problem I described in "update".