Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox won't update

Firefox won't update

sweepster@ev1.net

I cannot get Firefox 1.0.6 to download updates and plugins. The
Checking for Updates window opens both times, but just sits there and
does nothing. I tried disbling my firewall but didn't work. I installed
flash plugin manually.

SG

Travis Evans

On Sunday 24 July 2005 19:31, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I cannot get Firefox 1.0.6 to download updates and plugins. The
> Checking for Updates window opens both times, but just sits there and
> does nothing. I tried disbling my firewall but didn't work. I
> installed flash plugin manually.

In Preferences > Web features, is "Allow web sites to install software"
checked?

--
Travis Evans
[The email address on this post is valid, but may change from time to

Moz Champion

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I cannot get Firefox 1.0.6 to download updates and plugins. The
> Checking for Updates window opens both times, but just sits there and
> does nothing. I tried disbling my firewall but didn't work. I installed
> flash plugin manually.
>
> SG

Well, Firefox doesnt work for plug ins, it only is available for the
program itself, extensions and themes.

It only checks with the update server to see if there are updates to
Firefox, and any extension or theme you have installed. If it finds one,
then it will give you an option to update/install

Does the program report that it is checking on available updates? You
should get a progress bar that when finished results in a report if any
are available.

It dont work for plugins

sweepster@ev1.net

Travis Evans wrote:

> In Preferences > Web features, is "Allow web sites to install software"
> checked?

Yep. Did it right after installation.

\SG

sweepster@ev1.net

Moz Champion wrote:

> Does the program report that it is checking on available updates? You
> should get a progress bar that when finished results in a report if any
> are available.

Yes, it just sits there and doesn't move.

> It dont work for plugins

It should still download them. It worked fine in v. 1.0.5.

SG

Moz Champion

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>

>>Does the program report that it is checking on available updates? You
>>should get a progress bar that when finished results in a report if any
>>are available.

> Yes, it just sits there and doesn't move.
>

>>It dont work for plugins

> It should still download them. It worked fine in v. 1.0.5.
>
> SG

Why should it, it isnt even designed to do plugins

The Preference says right on it
the program (Firefox)
and Extensions and Themes

Plugins are NOT an extension nor a theme.

Now, you still should get the checking progress bar, is Firefox online
while you are doing this? Any firewalls or such in use?

dancertm

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:16:46 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Moz Champion wrote:
>>

>>>Does the program report that it is checking on available updates? You
>>>should get a progress bar that when finished results in a report if any
>>>are available.

>> Yes, it just sits there and doesn't move.
>>

>>>It dont work for plugins

>> It should still download them. It worked fine in v. 1.0.5.
>>
>> SG
>>

>Why should it, it isnt even designed to do plugins
>
>The Preference says right on it
>the program (Firefox)
>and Extensions and Themes
>
>Plugins are NOT an extension nor a theme.
>
>Now, you still should get the checking progress bar, is Firefox online
>while you are doing this? Any firewalls or such in use?

I think what is being referred to is the same thing which happened to
me the other day. Firefox said there were updates, then when you click
ok the server on their side halts just about in the middle and nothing
happens. I merely assumed it was busy and stopped the update and will
do it manually when the server may not be as busy.

Moz Champion

dancertm wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:16:46 GMT, Moz Champion
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>Yes, it just sits there and doesn't move.

>>>It should still download them. It worked fine in v. 1.0.5.
>>>
>>>SG
>>>

>>Why should it, it isnt even designed to do plugins
>>
>>The Preference says right on it
>>the program (Firefox)
>>and Extensions and Themes
>>
>>Plugins are NOT an extension nor a theme.
>>
>>Now, you still should get the checking progress bar, is Firefox online
>>while you are doing this? Any firewalls or such in use?

> I think what is being referred to is the same thing which happened to
> me the other day. Firefox said there were updates, then when you click
> ok the server on their side halts just about in the middle and nothing
> happens. I merely assumed it was busy and stopped the update and will
> do it manually when the server may not be as busy.

Perhaps, but thats NOT what the user stated. He seems to imply that he
isnt getting the check dialogue/progress bar.
If you were into the update session itself, then thats an entirelly
different problem, and may be related to server usage as you suspect.
Never had that problem myself, but I usually do my updating AFTER the
'first rush' is over (like a week after release) and in the wee hours of
the morning