Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla calendar files?

Mozilla calendar files?

Stubby

What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

Moz Champion

Stubby wrote:
> What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

The file suffix can be used by several programs
it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with Outlook
2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used by Outlook
2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.

So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
they are from, and what you intend to do with them.

Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
the files for in most cases.

Stubby

Moz Champion wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>
>> What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

> The file suffix can be used by several programs
> it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with Outlook
> 2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used by Outlook
> 2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.
>
> So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
> they are from, and what you intend to do with them.
>
> Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
> can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
> the files for in most cases.

Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.

I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a crash.
And I've created a few more files. But some don't work, e.g., I can't
store anything in "My Calendar".

So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which is
clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files to be
displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics have have
it fed to Calendar.

So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

Moz Champion

Stubby wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Stubby wrote:
>>
>>> What should be the default application for opening *.ics files?

>> The file suffix can be used by several programs
>> it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with
>> Outlook 2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used
>> by Outlook 2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.
>>
>> So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
>> they are from, and what you intend to do with them.
>>
>> Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
>> can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
>> the files for in most cases.

> Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.
>
> I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a crash.
> And I've created a few more files. But some don't work, e.g., I can't
> store anything in "My Calendar".
>
> So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which is
> clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files to be
> displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics have have
> it fed to Calendar.
>
> So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

Have you installed the Calandar extension?

Stubby

Moz Champion wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> The file suffix can be used by several programs
>>> it is used by Swiftview ICS (but not recommended for those with
>>> Outlook 2000 installed to use the ics suffix), so it can also be used
>>> by Outlook 2000. ICalander files also come as .ics files.
>>>
>>> So, it depends on what you are obtaining the .ics files for and where
>>> they are from, and what you intend to do with them.
>>>
>>> Default Application depends upon your choice. Use an application that
>>> can comprehend .ics files, which is dependent on what you plan to use
>>> the files for in most cases.

>> Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.
>>
>> I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a
>> crash. And I've created a few more files. But some don't work, e.g.,
>> I can't store anything in "My Calendar".
>>
>> So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which is
>> clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files to
>> be displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics have
>> have it fed to Calendar.
>>
>> So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

> Have you installed the Calandar extension?

Just to be sure, I installed Calendar again. Upon restarting Mozilla
(1.7. it crabs about not finding xpcom_core.dll . Now what do I do???

Moz Champion

Stubby wrote:

> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> Sorry. My question wasn't clear. I'll try again.
>>>
>>> I recovered my calendar files (*.ics) from burning ashes after a
>>> crash. And I've created a few more files. But some don't work,
>>> e.g., I can't store anything in "My Calendar".
>>>
>>> So I need to experiment a bit. "ics" was bound to IrfanView which
>>> is clearly wrong. Changing ics to point to Mozilla causes the files
>>> to be displayed as text (hmtl). I want to just click on a foo.ics
>>> have have it fed to Calendar.
>>>
>>> So, how do I associate "ics" with "Calendar"? TIA

>> Have you installed the Calandar extension?

> Just to be sure, I installed Calendar again. Upon restarting Mozilla
> (1.7. it crabs about not finding xpcom_core.dll . Now what do I do???

You will have to await someone familiar with Windows for an answer on
that one, dlls are foreign to me.