Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Installing FFX on Linux

Installing FFX on Linux

roland.E.oderant

Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything comes
unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command line text:

root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
firefox-installer/
firefox-installer/xpi/
firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
firefox-installer/config.ini
firefox-installer/header.png
firefox-installer/install.ini
firefox-installer/license.txt
firefox-installer/watermark.png
firefox-installer/firefox-installer
firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
Xlib: No protocol specified

(firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any ideas
out there?

TIA

REO

Jedi Fans

roland.E.oderant wrote:
> Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
> knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything comes
> unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command line text:
>
> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
> firefox-installer/
> firefox-installer/xpi/
> firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
> firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
> firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
> firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
> firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
> firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
> firefox-installer/config.ini
> firefox-installer/header.png
> firefox-installer/install.ini
> firefox-installer/license.txt
> firefox-installer/watermark.png
> firefox-installer/firefox-installer
> firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>

> (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any ideas
> out there?
>
> TIA
>
> REO

download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i dunno
lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
server"?

roland.E.oderant

Jedi Fans wrote:
> roland.E.oderant wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
>> knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything comes
>> unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command line text:
>>
>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
>> firefox-installer/
>> firefox-installer/xpi/
>> firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
>> firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
>> firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
>> firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
>> firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
>> firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
>> firefox-installer/config.ini
>> firefox-installer/header.png
>> firefox-installer/install.ini
>> firefox-installer/license.txt
>> firefox-installer/watermark.png
>> firefox-installer/firefox-installer
>> firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>>

>> (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>>
>> I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any
>> ideas out there?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> REO

> download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i dunno
> lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
> server"?

Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I know
I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

Jedi Fans

roland.E.oderant wrote:
> Jedi Fans wrote:
>> roland.E.oderant wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
>>> knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything
>>> comes unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command
>>> line text:
>>>
>>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
>>> firefox-installer/
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
>>> firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
>>> firefox-installer/config.ini
>>> firefox-installer/header.png
>>> firefox-installer/install.ini
>>> firefox-installer/license.txt
>>> firefox-installer/watermark.png
>>> firefox-installer/firefox-installer
>>> firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
>>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
>>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
>>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>>>

>>> (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>>>
>>> I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any
>>> ideas out there?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> REO

>> download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i dunno
>> lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
>> server"?

> Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I know
> I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

well i know gtk is the layout engine for gnome lol, what distro?

roland.E.oderant

Jedi Fans wrote:
> roland.E.oderant wrote:
>
>> Jedi Fans wrote:

>>> download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i
>>> dunno lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0"
>>> refused by server"?

>> Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I know
>> I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

> well i know gtk is the layout engine for gnome lol, what distro?

I sort of found a solution. I'm using knoppix. In konsole, type 'xhost
+' and then go through the normal installation process. It works! My
problem now is where to find the damn prog, so I can start it without
using the ruddy command line .... Each time I create a shortcut icon, it
starts the 1.0.2 version. Linux is so easy .

Jedi Fans

roland.E.oderant wrote:
> Jedi Fans wrote:
>> roland.E.oderant wrote:

>>> Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I
>>> know I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

>> well i know gtk is the layout engine for gnome lol, what distro?

> I sort of found a solution. I'm using knoppix. In konsole, type 'xhost
> +' and then go through the normal installation process. It works! My
> problem now is where to find the damn prog, so I can start it without
> using the ruddy command line .... Each time I create a shortcut icon, it
> starts the 1.0.2 version. Linux is so easy .

well im using suse and my program links directory is in /usr/sbin or
/usr/bin i cant remember, something like that - use
ln -s TARGET LINKNAME
eg:
ln -s /usr/local/firefox firefox

roland.E.oderant wrote:
> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer

This usually means that you're not allowing x-windows apps to write to
your x-terminal.

Type: man xhost