Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Towards Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Towards Identifying Performance Bottlenecks

Jeff

Okay, I know there is likely no straght-forward way to get a definitive
answer to the question, "why is my page loading so slowly tonight?"; but I'm
thinking that there *are* some things we can measure to get *some* general
idea of where the bottleneck is. I can sit here and theorize about why it's
periodically slow, but I'd like to be able to know what's causing the
periodical performance degradation.

My situation is that I have an ASP.NET Web site hosted out on the Internet.
Usually performance is great - the pages load fast. But sometimes it seems
to take forever (3-5 seconds vs the usual < 1 second). I cache *every*
database hit, so I can be pretty sure that the connection between my Web
Server and SQL Server is *not* the explanation - at least after the initial
page requests.

Is there something I can do on my Web server (Yes, I have full admin access)
to measure response times? What would I be measuring? I know in SQL Server
there is Performance Monitor - what about Web sites?

The case I'm most interested in knowing is this: how would I identify the
case where [my Web server is performing normally/fast], but my local
broadband carrier is having some performance bottleneck issues that explain
most or all of the observed slow-down?

Thanks for your consideration!

-Jeff

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Are you using any type of IIS compression software
like port80software? This can certainly help.

You may also run into bottlenecks
of network traffic at your co-location provider.

--
Robbe Morris - 2004/2005 Microsoft MVP C#
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Cisco PIX 515E bottlenecks Comcast High Speed Internet ryan_condon@yahoo.com Cisco 1 08-28-2008 04:53 PM
Finding Bottlenecks Nick ASP .Net 6 07-24-2008 02:01 AM
How to find speed bottlenecks in a vpn client connection news.xtra.co.nz NZ Computing 2 04-20-2006 03:16 AM
Webservices Basic Authentication Bottlenecks Jeremy ASP .Net Web Services 0 11-03-2004 10:07 AM
Security+ plus counting towards MCP designation Garrett Hord Microsoft Certification 0 08-04-2003 03:56 PM

Advertisments