Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Wal-Mart Music Downloads and Mozilla

Wal-Mart Music Downloads and Mozilla

George

Wal-Mart and Coca Cola are running a promo, offering 2 free music
downloads with the purchase of certain Coke products. What they DON'T
tell you in the promo or the fine print is that you must be using
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or better. Using Mozilla Firefox (or any
other non-MS browser) won't work. (This is also true for anybody paying
for music downloads.)

I complained to Wal-Mart, and got what I expected: no response. So I
filed a complaint with the Consumer Proection division of my state's
Attorney General's office, saying "Promo offers 2 free music downloads @
walmart.com/musicdownloads/coke. Printed material says "Requires Windows
98SE or higher". However, AFTER promo code redeemed, website refuses any
browser other than MS Internet Explorer. This is not a "software
failure" as identified in Sec. 3 of the Terms and Conditions, but a
refusal to complete the transaction."

That got me a response from Wal-Mart. Since I had 6 music download promo
codes, they offered me a custom CD at no expense. I took it, since it
cost them money (the CD, shipping and handling, etc). They tried to tell
me I needed to "upgrade" to MSIE. I told them they needed to acknowledge
that there are other browsers out there, and failure to do so could
result in a lot of ****ed-off internetters. I hope that a lot of non-
MSIE netters will let Wal-Mart know that they are not only out there, but
that they are consumers too, and will not be discriminated against.

Geo

wc

George,

Sorry and glad to hear of your difficulty with Wal-Mart. Did you
honestly expect anything different?

I am 75 years of age, and am proud to say I have *never* been inside
a Wal-Mart, anywhere. Further, I will *never* enter one. The way
they treat their employees is enough for me. To say nothing of the
way they treat American Factories by filling their junk "stores" with
goods made by near slave labor in China, India, and many other
countries. Meanwhile, American factories shut down, after their long
time employees lose their job.

You can have Wal-Mart.

Will