Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla 1.7.8 - Good?

Mozilla 1.7.8 - Good?

My Name

I am considering upgrading my installation of 1.7.3 to the latest
1.7.8. I heard that there were issues using certain extensions such as
'extension uninstaller' with some versions previous to 1.7.8. Has
anyone had any problems with 1.7.8 in that regard? Any other
comments/suggestions on the latest version is appreciated.

Dave

Arne

Once upon a time *My Name* wrote:

> I am considering upgrading my installation of 1.7.3 to the latest
> 1.7.8. I heard that there were issues using certain extensions such as
> 'extension uninstaller' with some versions previous to 1.7.8. Has
> anyone had any problems with 1.7.8 in that regard? Any other
> comments/suggestions on the latest version is appreciated.
>
> Dave

I upgraded from 1.7.3 to 1.7.8 with no problem at all, and I have the
'extension uninstaller'among other extensions.

Just unistall from Control panel as far as you get the message that
not everything is unistalled and Q if you like make a total uninstall.
Stop the unistall process there and install 1.7.8 on top of what's
left and everything works perfect, at least it did for me. No need to
reinstall for extensions or plugins, no need to change any settings.

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

My Name

Arne wrote:

> Once upon a time *My Name* wrote:
>
>> I am considering upgrading my installation of 1.7.3 to the latest
>> 1.7.8. I heard that there were issues using certain extensions
>> such as 'extension uninstaller' with some versions previous to
>> 1.7.8. Has anyone had any problems with 1.7.8 in that regard?
>> Any other comments/suggestions on the latest version is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Dave

> I upgraded from 1.7.3 to 1.7.8 with no problem at all, and I have
> the 'extension uninstaller'among other extensions.
>
> Just unistall from Control panel as far as you get the message
> that not everything is unistalled and Q if you like make a total
> uninstall. Stop the unistall process there and install 1.7.8 on
> top of what's left and everything works perfect, at least it did
> for me. No need to reinstall for extensions or plugins, no need to
> change any settings.

Thanks, I will give iot a shot. If it doesn't work out, I can always
go and reinstall my previous version.

Dave

Splibbilla

Arne <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Once upon a time *My Name* wrote:

checking to see you were using windws (cuz i replied in context of windows). i see you use
but also had x noarchive yes. ... to see that was just "luck" .

but also noticed that x noarchive yes doesn't seem to carry through to following messages. hmm.. anyway, i unquoted you, so
x-noarhcive is irrelevant.
and (i believe) the References: will be useless because your message will be gone.

back on topic:

> I upgraded from 1.7.3 to 1.7.8 with no problem at all, and I have the
> 'extension uninstaller'among other extensions.
>
> Just unistall from Control panel as far as you get the message that
> not everything is unistalled and Q if you like make a total uninstall.
> Stop the unistall process there and install 1.7.8 on top of what's
> left and everything works perfect, at least it did for me. No need to
> reinstall for extensions or plugins, no need to change any settings.

i've 'updated' every version since 1.7.2
I hadn't been uninstalling. the first time i just installed to different folder, then later I installed to same folder (IIRC). recently i
wanted fresh profiles, so i *completely* uninstalled two versions that had been in add/remove
(version in use had been 1.7.
then I installed seamonkey 1.0a (1.8b3: 2005071005)

i think the earliest updates replaced searchplugins folder, but last ff and seamonkey did not? maybe only one of those didn't in
the last updates. (might also have been deer park, because i've installed that for awhile)

whichever happens...

if you've changed your searchplugins, or something else...
you should zip backup the whole mozilla ("ah cant believe i zipped da Whooolllle Mozilla") program folder and your profiles
folder(s)

i already can't recall for sure, but on teh ohter computer (default profiles locatoins) the complete uninstall may have deleted the
firefox profiles, which (bizarrely IMO) are in their own Firefox subfolder in mozilla profiles folder!

for either ff or seamonkey: for future planning, i suggest installing either ff or seamonkey. then,
at first startup, let it create "default" profile default location.
then (in Profile manager) you immediately create new profiles in a folder in more logical location.
then (in Profile manager) delete "default".

watch what happens to the subfolders in you profiles.

fyi, shortcut to Profile Manager looks like this edit of the regular shortcut on your windows desktop.

....\MozillaProgramFolder\seamonkey.exe -p

just add the
" -p"

My Name

Thanks for the info. I followed the directions I found here
http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ and with the advice of others. I have
installed Mozilla 1.7.8 with no troubles at all and everything seems to
be working fine. I am staying away from Seamonkey for a bit untill I
hear more reports about it. I am indeed using XP. I also use the x-no
Archive header for a reason and I thank you for not quoting my complete
message in your reply

Dave