Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Setting focus on div with Mozilla

Setting focus on div with Mozilla

Arne

During testing <div style="overflow:auto;"> in CSS I noticed the
mousewheel would work in Mozilla only after I made a <a href="#">some
text</a> link and clicked on that, within the div.

It appears as if Mozilla needs to have the focus set on that div in
order for the mousewheel to work. That's all that link does. The
mousewheel works perfectly in IE without the link. It scrolls the div
even if there is a scrollbar on the page.

Why am testing? That's because there is sites 'out there' that use
scrolling div's and I discovered that I could not use my mousewheel to
scroll when I used Mozilla. In IE it works by placing the cursor
anywhere inside the div.

With the link inside the div the scrolling works on IE even for
keyboard users, even if it may be a nightmare the keys takes you thru
the links and when the link in the div is focused you can scroll it
with the arrow keys.

Why does that not work in other browsers and is there a way (others
than I described abow) to make it work? But remember now, I know about
the "usability no-no" but I would like to know since I would like to
use the scrolling on sites where they use the scrolling div's.

Is there any reason (according to standard or something else) why
Mozilla can't scroll without setting the focus, and is there any other
way to do it. If the "usability no-no" is the reason why standard
compliant (is it the right word?) browser don't support it, then why
support the scrolling divs at all?

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.