Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Google question

Google question

Tom

I realize this is not a Google group, but everyone seems very helpful
- and I couldn't find any Google groups.

Does anyone know a way to use Google and get it to bypass all of their
paid advertisers? Most of the time when I use Google, the first page
of results are all of the sites that pay Google to elevate their
rankings in the results.

I have gotten to almost always ignoring first page of results. Am I
the only one who has noticed this? Has anyone figured out a way to
kill their paid sites?

Tom

Ed Mullen

Tom wrote:

> I realize this is not a Google group, but everyone seems very helpful
> - and I couldn't find any Google groups.
>
> Does anyone know a way to use Google and get it to bypass all of their
> paid advertisers? Most of the time when I use Google, the first page
> of results are all of the sites that pay Google to elevate their
> rankings in the results.
>
> I have gotten to almost always ignoring first page of results. Am I
> the only one who has noticed this? Has anyone figured out a way to
> kill their paid sites?
>
> Tom

I have my prefs on Google set to display 50 items at a time and I've
never seen an entire page of paid links. Usually there are two or maybe
three clearly identified as paid at the very top. Then there is a
column at the extreme right containing other paid links. Everything
else is a valid search result.

Can you give an example of a search that produces the result you're
describing?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:07:11 GMT, in message
*<(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:

> I realize this is not a Google group, but everyone seems very helpful
> - and I couldn't find any Google groups.
>
> Does anyone know a way to use Google and get it to bypass all of their
> paid advertisers? Most of the time when I use Google, the first page
> of results are all of the sites that pay Google to elevate their
> rankings in the results.

Not here. You're not thinking of some other search engine?

I'm looking at a Google search right now.
There's a "sponsored links" column on the right with a few paid ads.
Everything in the main column is a bona fide search result.

> I have gotten to almost always ignoring first page of results. Am I
> the only one who has noticed this? Has anyone figured out a way to
> kill their paid sites?

Can you post an example of a Google search query
where the first page is all paid ads?

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

Splibbilla

Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> in
news:(E-Mail Removed) .net.nz:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:07:11 GMT, in message
> *<(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:
>
>> I realize this is not a Google group, but everyone seems very helpful
>> - and I couldn't find any Google groups.
>>
>> Does anyone know a way to use Google and get it to bypass all of their
>> paid advertisers? Most of the time when I use Google, the first page
>> of results are all of the sites that pay Google to elevate their
>> rankings in the results.

> Not here. You're not thinking of some other search engine?
>

> I'm looking at a Google search right now.
> There's a "sponsored links" column on the right with a few paid ads.
> Everything in the main column is a bona fide search result.
>

>> I have gotten to almost always ignoring first page of results. Am I
>> the only one who has noticed this? Has anyone figured out a way to
>> kill their paid sites?

> Can you post an example of a Google search query
> where the first page is all paid ads?

i intentionally loaded this with spam words, because i rarely get lots of spamlink pages in google.
http://www.google.dk/search?hl=en&q=...gra+%7C+holdem

1 and 4 look like real sites, vandalized/defaced by blogspam.
2 and 3 look like "real" spamsites.

used to be you would get almost a whole page of spamsites, pure spam link pages. nowadays google can give spam results, but
the actual spam is *within* someone's blog comment section.

the tedious way to remove spam from google results is to install customize google. it adds a "filter" link for each result. click the
link, and that link (or the whole site, wildcarded/regexed) can be added to a filter list.

i don't use this, because i've developed a good eye (?) for spamsites, and find it fastest to just continue scannig down the
results page.

--
http://kmgerich.com/archive/000071.html
http://www.opensky.ca/~jdhildeb/chickenpox.png