Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > upgrade from 1.04 to 1.05 kills firefox

upgrade from 1.04 to 1.05 kills firefox

zutroi

after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear
and the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it
just becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close
gadget however. i have some extensions installed:

flashgot 0.5.9.6
popup count 0.2.6
adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
image toolbar 0.5
tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
forecastfox 0.8

any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.

bob

zutroi

zutroi wrote:
> after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear and
> the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it just
> becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close gadget
> however. i have some extensions installed:
>
> tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
>
> any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.

yes, it was this extension. uninstalling the extensiona and
installing 1.05 worked fine.

Rom

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:25:11 GMT, zutroi wrote:

> after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear
> and the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it
> just becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close
> gadget however. i have some extensions installed:
>
> flashgot 0.5.9.6
> popup count 0.2.6
> adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
> image toolbar 0.5
> tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
> forecastfox 0.8
>
> any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.

Try starting Firefox in Safe Mode, which you should find in the Start
Menu, and see how it goes, and if it is extension(s).
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode>
<http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons>

--
Rom

Michel Doucet

Le 14/07/2005 13:25, zutroi a écrit :
> after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear and
> the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it just
> becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close gadget
> however. i have some extensions installed:
>
> flashgot 0.5.9.6
> popup count 0.2.6
> adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
> image toolbar 0.5
> tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
> forecastfox 0.8
>
> any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.
>
> bob

Tabbrowser extension was always been a source of several bugs, try to
use Tabmix extension which is "better".

--
Utilisez le butineur, le courriéleur et le lecteur de nouvelles
.... avec lequel vous vous sentez le plus sécurisé

Lou

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:25:11 GMT, zutroi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear
>and the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it
>just becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close
>gadget however. i have some extensions installed:
>
>flashgot 0.5.9.6
>popup count 0.2.6
>adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
>image toolbar 0.5
>tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
>forecastfox 0.8
>
>any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.
>
>bob

On each upgrade version of Firefox, I've simply installed it over
the older version and have yet to see any problems. Bookmarks,
extensions, etc. have all been right there and working as before.
Why others un-install older versions is a mystery to me.

David Harrison

On 7/14/2005 3:52 PM, Lou said:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:25:11 GMT, zutroi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear
>>and the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it
>>just becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close
>>gadget however. i have some extensions installed:
>>
>>flashgot 0.5.9.6
>>popup count 0.2.6
>>adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
>>image toolbar 0.5
>>tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
>>forecastfox 0.8
>>
>>any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.
>>
>>bob

> On each upgrade version of Firefox, I've simply installed it over
> the older version and have yet to see any problems. Bookmarks,
> extensions, etc. have all been right there and working as before.
> Why others un-install older versions is a mystery to me.

You can end up with multiple versions in your "Add and Remove Programs"
control panel. In my experience you can then only uninstall the most
recent one. The others just sit there cluttering your registry.

cheers,

David H

Old Gringo

zutroi wrote:
> after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear and
> the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it just
> becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close gadget
> however. i have some extensions installed:
>
> flashgot 0.5.9.6
> popup count 0.2.6
> adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
> image toolbar 0.5
> tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
> forecastfox 0.8
>
> any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.
>
> bob

I did the conversion from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 with no problems or no
adjustments required. I read in a post somewhere that the forms
filler extension was the culprit. I don't use it. Good Luck

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Ed Mullen

Lou wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:25:11 GMT, zutroi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear
>>and the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it
>>just becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close
>>gadget however. i have some extensions installed:
>>
>>flashgot 0.5.9.6
>>popup count 0.2.6
>>adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
>>image toolbar 0.5
>>tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
>>forecastfox 0.8
>>
>>any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.
>>
>>bob

> On each upgrade version of Firefox, I've simply installed it over
> the older version and have yet to see any problems. Bookmarks,
> extensions, etc. have all been right there and working as before.
> Why others un-install older versions is a mystery to me.

Because there were huge problems with the installer several versions
back and the only way to ensure a proper upgrade was to uninstall the
old version first. The installer seems to have been fixed a couple of
versions ago and most people are not having any trouble installing over
top of an existing one. The installer uninstalls the previous version
automagically.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Lou

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:16:25 +0100, David Harrison
<deathtobots@invalid> wrote:

>On 7/14/2005 3:52 PM, Lou said:
>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:25:11 GMT, zutroi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>after uninstalling 1.04 and installing 1.05, my bookmarks disappear
>>>and the bookmarks toolbar becomes blank. and 1.05 often crashes: it
>>>just becomes "deselected" and hangs. it will exit if i hit the close
>>>gadget however. i have some extensions installed:
>>>
>>>flashgot 0.5.9.6
>>>popup count 0.2.6
>>>adblock v.5 d2 nightly 39
>>>image toolbar 0.5
>>>tabbrowser extensions 1.14.2005042701
>>>forecastfox 0.8
>>>
>>>any ideas? i feel it may be one of my extensions. thanks.
>>>
>>>bob

>> On each upgrade version of Firefox, I've simply installed it over
>> the older version and have yet to see any problems. Bookmarks,
>> extensions, etc. have all been right there and working as before.
>> Why others un-install older versions is a mystery to me.

>You can end up with multiple versions in your "Add and Remove Programs"
>control panel. In my experience you can then only uninstall the most
>recent one. The others just sit there cluttering your registry.
>
>cheers,
>
>David H

I'm quite adept with "regedit" and always use it when I delete
software as Windows never removes all traces with their control
panel "Add and Remove Programs" software. My current Win98
has been running since 7-98 and has never been reloaded. 8^)