Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Upgrading to Thunderbird 1.05

Upgrading to Thunderbird 1.05

Ed Mullen

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:

> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>I should have said what /program/. What I was really driving at is that
>>if you use a backup program for other things why not just use that to
>>backup your Moz profile

> I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
> instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.

Good plan. And for those who aren't sure what we're talking about, a
disk image is significantly different from a backup, a "differential"
backup, or an "incremental" backup. An image is kinda like saying: take
my whole house and put a copy in another county in case a tornado
destroys the original. A backup says, well, the house is insured so if
it gets trashed we could rebuild it, but save copies of all my family
photos, medical records, financial stuff, stock certificates, etc. and
put them in a safe place. Then, every day (week, month, etc.) save ONLY
the new photos, new medical records, new financial, etc. created since
the last backup so I have them in case of a fire.

With respect to Mozilla applications (and most others) there are
settings and data unique to you and your use of the program that you
want to save regularly. The only time you'll notice the importance of
this is when something happens and you wonder where all your emails,
bookmarks, customizations, etc. went. So do it now or be sorry later.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

no_one@nowhere.invalid

Tony Raven <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for that suggestion. Been looking for a prog that would clone a

Glad to help. Forgot to mention one other thing I do. The old Power
Quest company, makers of Partition Magic, used to put a free program
on their CDs called Datakeeper. With this program you select specific
directories on you hard drive(s). Any file that is saved to one of
those directories will also be saved to a location of your choice,
maintaining the same directory tree. You could choose directories
like your mozilla profile, My Documents, etc. You can also choose how
many copies you want it to keep.

This little gem has saved my butt more than once.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Ed Mullen wrote:
>> I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
>> instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.

> Good plan. And for those who aren't sure what we're talking about, a
> disk image is significantly different from a backup, a "differential"
> backup, or an "incremental" backup. An image is kinda like saying: take
> my whole house and put a copy in another county in case a tornado
> destroys the original. A backup says, well, the house is insured so if
> it gets trashed we could rebuild it, but save copies of all my family
> photos, medical records, financial stuff, stock certificates, etc. and
> put them in a safe place. Then, every day (week, month, etc.) save ONLY
> the new photos, new medical records, new financial, etc. created since
> the last backup so I have them in case of a fire.

An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.

Ed Mullen

Z wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>>> I use Acronis True image. Full image of each partition once a month,
>>> instrumentals every night. All to an external USB hard drive.

>> Good plan. And for those who aren't sure what we're talking about, a
>> disk image is significantly different from a backup, a "differential"
>> backup, or an "incremental" backup. An image is kinda like saying:
>> take my whole house and put a copy in another county in case a tornado
>> destroys the original. A backup says, well, the house is insured so
>> if it gets trashed we could rebuild it, but save copies of all my
>> family photos, medical records, financial stuff, stock certificates,
>> etc. and put them in a safe place. Then, every day (week, month,
>> etc.) save ONLY the new photos, new medical records, new financial,
>> etc. created since the last backup so I have them in case of a fire.

> An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
> same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.

Assuming the backup sw will do that.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

Ed Mullen wrote:
>> An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
>> same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.

> Assuming the backup sw will do that.

By "Windows Backup" I mean Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools
> Backup. And yes, it will do that.

You can make Normal (ie: Full), Incremental or Differential (very handy
for speedy restores) backups - all with Windows up and running at the time.

There's a Windows Scheduler interface built in and you can create
separate jobs that back up just specific areas, too. You can append or
overwrite the backups, catalog automatically, etc.

Few Windows users even seem to know about it.

Ed Mullen

Z wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>>> An image - be it from Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc - has the
>>> same content as a Full Windows Backup with System State.

>> Assuming the backup sw will do that.

> By "Windows Backup" I mean Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools
> > Backup. And yes, it will do that.

> You can make Normal (ie: Full), Incremental or Differential (very handy
> for speedy restores) backups - all with Windows up and running at the time.
>
> There's a Windows Scheduler interface built in and you can create
> separate jobs that back up just specific areas, too. You can append or
> overwrite the backups, catalog automatically, etc.
>
> Few Windows users even seem to know about it.

Probably because it does not exist in a standard install of Windows (XP
at least, can't recall 9. It's on the CD-ROM but you have to install
it after the fact.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
Introducing LITE - the new way to spell LIGHT with 20% fewer letters!

Laptop won't connect to internet after upgrading to SP2 =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55X3dheg==?= Wireless Networking 1 07-31-2005 02:35 AM
Video card Upgrading Poppn Hardware 15 07-09-2005 04:25 AM
Upgrading to high speed, FAQ? David Wireless Networking 4 11-09-2004 08:43 PM

Advertisments