Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > WARNING - Firefox 1.0.5 and Roboform don't mix

WARNING - Firefox 1.0.5 and Roboform don't mix

Lil' Abner

If you're using Roboform, they haven't come out with an extension for
version 1.0.5 yet. I upgraded to 1.0.5 tonight, and Roboform crashed
Firefox.
I reinstalled 1.0.4 back over the top of it and got away with it. Seems
like every time Firefox updates, it screws up Roboform and they have to
make a new extension for it.

--
-- If FedEx and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP? --

SteveG

Lil' Abner wrote:
> If you're using Roboform, they haven't come out with an extension for
> version 1.0.5 yet. I upgraded to 1.0.5 tonight, and Roboform crashed
> Firefox.
> I reinstalled 1.0.4 back over the top of it and got away with it. Seems
> like every time Firefox updates, it screws up Roboform and they have to
> make a new extension for it.

There's an updated version of Roboform for Firefox 1.0.5 available on
the Roboform update site.

--
Regards

Steve G

Jan van Aalderen

Lil' Abner wrote:
> If you're using Roboform, they haven't come out with an extension for
> version 1.0.5 yet. I upgraded to 1.0.5 tonight, and Roboform crashed
> Firefox.
> I reinstalled 1.0.4 back over the top of it and got away with it. Seems
> like every time Firefox updates, it screws up Roboform and they have to
> make a new extension for it.

That happens every time a new Firefox version is published: either an
extension that does not handle or is not handled by the new FFproperly,
screws up Firefox completely. Since I use about a 100 extensions, and
extensions are hidden within firefox settings (that is, you have to dig
into coded foldernames and analyze file contents to retrieve which
folder belongs to which extension), it normally takes a few days to
repair my setup and regain full functionality... if the latter is at all
possible, since not every extension will be updated.

In fact, I will not automatically update FF anymore until this problem
is fixed, unless the improvements are such that it's worth a few days
work to reconstruct my settings.

That extensions must sometimes be adjusted to be compatible with a new
version, is an inevitable consequence of the extension-system. However,
problems caused by this would be reduced considerably, if Firefox did
not store extensions in such an obscure way.
Also, a lot of time would be spared if it were possible to mass-disable
and/or uninstall extensions (by including tick-offs for uninstall and
disable in the extensionlist with each extension, rather than just
uninstall- and disablebuttons for the selected extension at the bottom),
instead of having to wait tens of seconds after every individual
uninstall before the next extension can be marked for uninstall.

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Jan van Aalderen, Amstelveen