Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FireFox search defaults

FireFox search defaults

Old Gringo

I recently downloaded a package from my ISP (SBC Yahoo) The package
included SpyBlocker, Popup Blocker, Anti Virus, Parental Control, and
email protection. After the install FireFox lost its default search
capabilities and now reverts everything to Yahoo search. I have
since uninstaled the package from SBC Yahoo but FireFox will still
revert to the Yahoo search page when I type something in the address
bar. Prior to this when I typed something in the address bar other
than a url it would go to the most likely page. If I wanted a larger
selection I would do the norm and use either Google or Yahoo. Now is
there a way to restore the default search capabilities of FireFox?
--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Rom

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:33:37 GMT, Old Gringo wrote:

> I recently downloaded a package from my ISP (SBC Yahoo) The package
> included SpyBlocker, Popup Blocker, Anti Virus, Parental Control, and
> email protection. After the install FireFox lost its default search
> capabilities and now reverts everything to Yahoo search. I have
> since uninstaled the package from SBC Yahoo but FireFox will still
> revert to the Yahoo search page when I type something in the address
> bar. Prior to this when I typed something in the address bar other
> than a url it would go to the most likely page. If I wanted a larger
> selection I would do the norm and use either Google or Yahoo. Now is
> there a way to restore the default search capabilities of FireFox?

The plugins are located in the searchplugins folder of where Firefox
is installed.

You'll find info on preferences here:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries>
and how to add/edit:
<http://mozillazine.org/misc/about:config/>

Type "about:config" in the location bar.
In the Filter box type "keyword and look at these:
keyword.URL
keyword.enabled

In the Filter box type "browser.search" and look at these as well as
the others:
browser.search.defaultenginename
browser.search.defaulturl

I think the above are what you're after.

--
Rom

Old Gringo

Rom wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:33:37 GMT, Old Gringo wrote:
>

>>I recently downloaded a package from my ISP (SBC Yahoo) The package
>>included SpyBlocker, Popup Blocker, Anti Virus, Parental Control, and
>>email protection. After the install FireFox lost its default search
>>capabilities and now reverts everything to Yahoo search. I have
>>since uninstaled the package from SBC Yahoo but FireFox will still
>>revert to the Yahoo search page when I type something in the address
>>bar. Prior to this when I typed something in the address bar other
>>than a url it would go to the most likely page. If I wanted a larger
>>selection I would do the norm and use either Google or Yahoo. Now is
>>there a way to restore the default search capabilities of FireFox?

> The plugins are located in the searchplugins folder of where Firefox
> is installed.
>
> You'll find info on preferences here:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries>
> and how to add/edit:
> <http://mozillazine.org/misc/about:config/>
>
> Type "about:config" in the location bar.
> In the Filter box type "keyword and look at these:
> keyword.URL
> keyword.enabled
>
> In the Filter box type "browser.search" and look at these as well as
> the others:
> browser.search.defaultenginename
> browser.search.defaulturl
>
> I think the above are what you're after.

Thank You so much for that information.

clear passwords/set defaults MT Cisco 1 03-11-2005 10:03 PM
Reset Cisco 1005 router to factory defaults? Noozer Cisco 1 04-28-2004 06:48 PM
Cisco 2950 Switch - Defaults Rafael Cisco 1 11-13-2003 03:53 PM

Advertisments