Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Slow downloads

Slow downloads

gcotterl@co.riverside.ca.us

I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, Earthlink.net and Windows 2000 Professional.

Why am I not getting "instantaneous" video downloads, as advertised?

How do I resolve the "Quick time is missing software required to
perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the quick
time server." message?

Splibbilla

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, Earthlink.net and Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> Why am I not getting "instantaneous" video downloads, as advertised?
>
> How do I resolve the "Quick time is missing software required to
> perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the quick
> time server." message?

you probably googled, but.. did any of these give clues?
http://groups.google.dk/groups?hl=en...ation.+Unfortu
nately,+it+is+not+available+on+the+quicktime+serve r%22

Moz Champion

Splibbilla wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>

>>I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, Earthlink.net and Windows 2000 Professional.
>>
>>Why am I not getting "instantaneous" video downloads, as advertised?
>>
>>How do I resolve the "Quick time is missing software required to
>>perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the quick
>>time server." message?

> you probably googled, but.. did any of these give clues?
> http://groups.google.dk/groups?hl=en...ation.+Unfortu
> nately,+it+is+not+available+on+the+quicktime+serve r%22

'instantaneous' depends on the speed of your connection and the size of
the video download

In most cases, the quicktime error is generated because the underlying
file is improperly formatted or contains errors in the script.

gcotterl@co.riverside.ca.us

I connect to the Internet via DSL and the video downloads are less than
10 MB.

================================================== =================================

Most of the time, when the video download is in a format that Quick
Time can handle, I first see the Quick Time "clock" logo, then the
video plays.

But, sometimes, I see the Quick Time "clock" icon. Then, after a
while, it changes to Quick Time's "broken-film" icon and the video is
NOT played.

Or, a bar (which normally shows how much of the video has played and
how much remains) is displayed. Then, after a while, the box appears
saying "Quick time is missing software required to perform this
operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the Quick Time server"
and the video is NOT played.

Moz Champion

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I connect to the Internet via DSL and the video downloads are less than
> 10 MB.
>
> ================================================== =================================
>
> Most of the time, when the video download is in a format that Quick
> Time can handle, I first see the Quick Time "clock" logo, then the
> video plays.
>
> But, sometimes, I see the Quick Time "clock" icon. Then, after a
> while, it changes to Quick Time's "broken-film" icon and the video is
> NOT played.
>
> Or, a bar (which normally shows how much of the video has played and
> how much remains) is displayed. Then, after a while, the box appears
> saying "Quick time is missing software required to perform this
> operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the Quick Time server"
> and the video is NOT played.

You lost me here, what the heck are you talking about?
I dont have the time to re-read each and every message in a thread to
re-call a discussion I was participating in.

Please, to make it a lot easier, quote previous messages.

Okay so you got DSL and the downloads are less than 10mb, what does that
have to do with anything?

The quick time problem. It depends on how the file is presented on the
server, its format and whether or not its mime type is correct or not.
Dependent upon the url where you get the message, it can be that the
file is presented with an incorrect mime type from the server. Simply
because its called a mov (quick time movie) doesnt make it a qt movie
if its encoded as an avi.

gcotterl@co.riverside.ca.us

My original posting said: "Why am I not getting 'instantanous' video
downloads, as advertised? I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, Earthlink.net and
Windows 2000 Professional".

Your reply said that "instantaneous' depends on the speed of my
connection and the size of the video download.

In my reply to you, I said that I'm connecting to the Internet via DSL
and the video downloads are less than 10 MB.

Your last reply said "You lost me here, what the heck are you talking

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My original posting said: "Why am I not getting 'instantanous' video
> downloads, as advertised? I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, Earthlink.net and
> Windows 2000 Professional".
>
> Your reply said that "instantaneous' depends on the speed of my
> connection and the size of the video download.
>
> In my reply to you, I said that I'm connecting to the Internet via DSL
> and the video downloads are less than 10 MB.
>
> Your last reply said "You lost me here, what the heck are you talking
> about? I dont have the time to re-read each and every message in a
> thread to re-call a discussion I was participating in".

Well, if you had quoted previous messages, you wouldnt have had to
explain that, would you, and I could have answered your implied question

Who 'advertised' instaneous in the first place?
Any ISP will always have a disclaimer (usually hidden in the TOS) about
speeds - 'up to' 1mb for example means you can get as much as 1mb per
second, but will probably see less in reality.

The 1mb is the TOP speed you can get, its not the ONLY speed! Its like a
car... many are advertised as capable of doing 120mph or even higher.
Yes you CAN go that fast, but in most cases you simply wont. Traffic for
one. Traffic on the internet can affect your speed most drastically. For
example, when a software maker releases a new product, downloads from
the site may be abysmally slow for a few days, simply because many are
trying to get it at the same time.

Coffee is advertised as 'instant' as well, isnt it? But they dont
include heating the water in that concept, do they?

What exactly is meant by 'instaneous' depends entirely on who is doing
the talking. Its IMPOSSIBLE for example to get a 10mb file
'instaneously' over a 1mb per second line - it would take at least 10
seconds. The file may 'start' to download (or even play) in a few
milliseconds (effectively instanteously) but it wont all be downloaded
and available in an instant.

Your 1mb limit is just one limit in the chain connecting you to the
server on which the file resides. There may be a SLOWER connection
somewhere between you and it, and files are transferred at the lowest limit.

If you persist in editing out or not quoting previous messages, then I
wont bother with assisting you. Others may, but I wont.

gcotterl@co.riverside.ca.us

Moz,

I thought my original posting plus all replies formed a "tree" so
readers can refer to all of the postings without searching for each
indivdual posting.

Gary

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Moz,
>
> I thought my original posting plus all replies formed a "tree" so
> readers can refer to all of the postings without searching for each
> indivdual posting.
>
> Gary
>

> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>My original posting said: "Why am I not getting 'instantanous' video
>>>downloads, as advertised? I'm using Firefox 1.0.4, Earthlink.net and
>>>Windows 2000 Professional".
>>>
>>>Your reply said that "instantaneous' depends on the speed of my
>>>connection and the size of the video download.
>>>
>>>In my reply to you, I said that I'm connecting to the Internet via DSL
>>>and the video downloads are less than 10 MB.
>>>
>>>Your last reply said "You lost me here, what the heck are you talking
>>>about? I dont have the time to re-read each and every message in a
>>>thread to re-call a discussion I was participating in".
>>>

>>Well, if you had quoted previous messages, you wouldnt have had to
>>explain that, would you, and I could have answered your implied question
>>
>>Who 'advertised' instaneous in the first place?
>>Any ISP will always have a disclaimer (usually hidden in the TOS) about
>>speeds - 'up to' 1mb for example means you can get as much as 1mb per
>>second, but will probably see less in reality.
>>
>>The 1mb is the TOP speed you can get, its not the ONLY speed! Its like a
>>car... many are advertised as capable of doing 120mph or even higher.
>>Yes you CAN go that fast, but in most cases you simply wont. Traffic for
>>one. Traffic on the internet can affect your speed most drastically. For
>>example, when a software maker releases a new product, downloads from
>>the site may be abysmally slow for a few days, simply because many are
>>trying to get it at the same time.
>>
>>Coffee is advertised as 'instant' as well, isnt it? But they dont
>>include heating the water in that concept, do they?
>>
>>What exactly is meant by 'instaneous' depends entirely on who is doing
>>the talking. Its IMPOSSIBLE for example to get a 10mb file
>>'instaneously' over a 1mb per second line - it would take at least 10
>>seconds. The file may 'start' to download (or even play) in a few
>>milliseconds (effectively instanteously) but it wont all be downloaded
>>and available in an instant.
>>
>>Your 1mb limit is just one limit in the chain connecting you to the
>>server on which the file resides. There may be a SLOWER connection
>>somewhere between you and it, and files are transferred at the lowest limit.
>>
>>If you persist in editing out or not quoting previous messages, then I
>>wont bother with assisting you. Others may, but I wont.

Please bottom post if you will. That is, quote previous messages then
write your reply.

You really expect me to read every single message in a 'tree' just so I
can 'catch up' to what the conversation is about? The problem you are
concerned with is familiar to you, you may remember what was said,
suggested and tried. Personally I am involved in dozens of threads at
any one point in time, and I simply DONT remember all the details for
any specific problem.

It's not the finding of the messages that takes time, threading takes
care of that, its the effort required to open each individual message
and then the next until all are read. You try it with a problem you are
unfamiliar with, by the time you get to the last message in some
threads, you cant remember what the original problem was!

You want to edit and snip, then by all means go ahead. I simply wont be
answering your questions if you do, because I value my time.