Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > things i can't do with firefox

things i can't do with firefox

dimestore

There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.

1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
"deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.

2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.

3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?

Thank you for your time!
-md

Ed Mullen

dimestore wrote:

> There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
>
> 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
> I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
> me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
> have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
> "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
> other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.

Don't know about this one. Have you created a userChrome.css and/or a
userContent.css file? It's possible to override the GUI display
settings this way.

> 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
> I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.

Tools - Options - Privacy - History.

> 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
> I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?

Go to the above GUI location and set it to 0 days. No history will be
saved and, hence, no listings will be in the history display if you
activate it.

BTW, items 2 and 3 seem to be contradictory, one asking for history to
display and the other asking for it not to display. Both the visited
links and the entered links history are tied together. If you use the
clear history function you'll clear them both. If you have history set
to 0 days the location bar history will be cleared upon exiting the program.

> Thank you for your time!
> -md

No problem.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dimestore wrote:
> 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
> I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
> me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
> have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
> "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
> other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
>
> 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
> I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.

Both of these issues seem to point to history being disabled.

Tools > Options > Privacy > History

What's "Remember visited pages for the last ___ days" set to?

> 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
> I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?

I don't know why it does it, but you can tell it to stop:

Tools > Options > Privacy > Download Manager History

Moz Champion

dimestore wrote:
> There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
>
> 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
> I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
> me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
> have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
> "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
> other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
>
> 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
> I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.
>
> 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
> I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?
>
> Thank you for your time!
> -md

Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
they specify the same colour for each

You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
Always use my: X Colors

History is controlled by use of
[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
set number of days you wish to keep the list for

You can turn off Download Manager list by
[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
of downloads kept

*varies with OS
Mac
as above
Windows
[Tools-->Options]
Linux
[Edit-->Preferences]

schrodinger's cat

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:02 GMT Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dimestore wrote:
>> There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
>>
>> 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
>> I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
>> me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
>> have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
>> "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
>> other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
>>
>> 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
>> I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.
>>
>> 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
>> I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?
>>
>> Thank you for your time!
>> -md
>>

>Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
>they specify the same colour for each
>
>You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
>set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
>Always use my: X Colors
>
>History is controlled by use of
>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
>set number of days you wish to keep the list for
>
>You can turn off Download Manager list by
>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
>by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
>of downloads kept
>
>*varies with OS
>Mac
>as above
>Windows
>[Tools-->Options]
>Linux
>[Edit-->Preferences]

When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
"Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.
--
schrodinger's cat

dimestore

Thank you so much Moz Champ! FF shall live!

-md

Moz Champion

schrodinger's cat wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:02 GMT Moz Champion
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>dimestore wrote:
>>
>>>There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
>>>
>>>1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
>>>I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
>>>me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
>>>have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
>>>"deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
>>>other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
>>>
>>>2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
>>>I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.
>>>
>>>3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
>>>I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?
>>>
>>>Thank you for your time!
>>>-md
>>>

>>Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
>>they specify the same colour for each
>>
>>You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
>>set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
>>Always use my: X Colors
>>
>>History is controlled by use of
>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
>>set number of days you wish to keep the list for
>>
>>You can turn off Download Manager list by
>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
>>by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
>>of downloads kept
>>
>>*varies with OS
>>Mac
>>as above
>>Windows
>>[Tools-->Options]
>>Linux
>>[Edit-->Preferences]

> When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
> successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
> in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
> and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
> appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
> yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
> "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
> grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
> happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
> extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.

Its the FIRST listing in my preferences
Something is amiss here tho.

The dialogue choice in my version uses these phrases

Upon Successful Download
When Firefox exits
Manually

It sounds as if you have an extension that is changing things.

schrodinger's cat

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:43:29 GMT Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>schrodinger's cat wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:02 GMT Moz Champion
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
>>>they specify the same colour for each
>>>
>>>You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
>>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
>>>set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
>>>Always use my: X Colors
>>>
>>>History is controlled by use of
>>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
>>>set number of days you wish to keep the list for
>>>
>>>You can turn off Download Manager list by
>>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
>>>by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
>>>of downloads kept
>>>
>>>*varies with OS
>>>Mac
>>>as above
>>>Windows
>>>[Tools-->Options]
>>>Linux
>>>[Edit-->Preferences]

>> When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
>> successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
>> in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
>> and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
>> appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
>> yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
>> "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
>> grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
>> happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
>> extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.

>Its the FIRST listing in my preferences
>Something is amiss here tho.
>
>The dialogue choice in my version uses these phrases
>
>Upon Successful Download
>When Firefox exits
>Manually
>
>It sounds as if you have an extension that is changing things.

Well, something is going on here that I haven't been able to figure
out yet. What has happened is that the drop-down list containing the 3
phrases above has completely vanished from my Windows installation of
Firefox. The options are still there on my Linux partition, but in the
Windows version there is nothing at all visible after "Remove files
from the Download Manager:" except the yellow background of the dialog
box. I have uninstalled every extension and even gone so far as to
back up and delete the prefs.js, user.js, userChrome.css, and
userContent.css files from my profile to force a clean start, but the
problem remains. I guess I will have to re-install FF, but I sure
would like to know what caused this issue, because I know the options
appeared correctly when the program was first installed.
--
schrodinger's cat

schrodinger's cat

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:46:34 -0400 schrodinger's cat
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:43:29 GMT Moz Champion
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>schrodinger's cat wrote:

>>> When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
>>> successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
>>> in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
>>> and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
>>> appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
>>> yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
>>> "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
>>> grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
>>> happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
>>> extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.

>>Its the FIRST listing in my preferences
>>Something is amiss here tho.
>>
>>The dialogue choice in my version uses these phrases
>>
>>Upon Successful Download
>>When Firefox exits
>>Manually
>>
>>It sounds as if you have an extension that is changing things.

>Well, something is going on here that I haven't been able to figure
>out yet. What has happened is that the drop-down list containing the 3
>phrases above has completely vanished from my Windows installation of
>Firefox. The options are still there on my Linux partition, but in the
>Windows version there is nothing at all visible after "Remove files
>from the Download Manager:" except the yellow background of the dialog
>box. I have uninstalled every extension and even gone so far as to
>back up and delete the prefs.js, user.js, userChrome.css, and
>userContent.css files from my profile to force a clean start, but the
>problem remains. I guess I will have to re-install FF, but I sure
>would like to know what caused this issue, because I know the options
>appeared correctly when the program was first installed.

Just noticed 1.0.5 is out, so I downloaded it and tried installing it
over 1.0.4 to see if that would repair this options dialog. No dice,
so I guess it's a complete uninstall and re-install for me.
--
schrodinger's cat

schrodinger's cat wrote:
> Just noticed 1.0.5 is out, so I downloaded it and tried installing it
> over 1.0.4 to see if that would repair this options dialog. No dice,
> so I guess it's a complete uninstall and re-install for me.

DO NOT INSTALL A NEW VERSION OVER THE OLD ONE!

Uninstall the old version
Install the new version