Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > comcast newsgroups

comcast newsgroups

BCloutier

Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
The issue is there is no way to put in the password.

Thanks,

Brian

Ed Mullen

BCloutier wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
> The issue is there is no way to put in the password.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

If you're referring to the new news server (newsgroups.comcast.net),
yes, it works fine. Once you add the account highlight it and choose
Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions. You'll be prompted for a username and
password.

also check to make sure you haven't changed the outgoing SMTP server:
Tools - Account Settings - click the Server Settings under the account,
click the Advanced button, the server should most likely be
smtp.comcast.net:25.

If you can't resolve this please describe in detail how you setup the
account and what happened when you tried to manage the newsgroup
subscriptions.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Herb

Ed Mullen wrote:

> BCloutier wrote

Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
The issue is there is no way to put in the password.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian
>>

> If you're referring to the new news server (newsgroups.comcast.net),
> yes, it works fine. Once you add the account highlight it and choose
> Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions. You'll be prompted for a username and
> password.
>
> also check to make sure you haven't changed the outgoing SMTP server:
> Tools - Account Settings - click the Server Settings under the
> account, click the Advanced button, the server should most likely be
> smtp.comcast.net:25.
>
> If you can't resolve this please describe in detail how you setup the
> account and what happened when you tried to manage the newsgroup
> subscriptions.

Wasn't aware of this new Comcast news server -- I was able to set it
up, but not by using my Comcast username; rather, I had to use the
original alpha-numeric name Comcast assigned to me. If I didn't have it
written down, I'd not have known it.

Questions--

1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
the new Comcast server ?

Thanx--

Herb

Stubby

Herb wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> BCloutier wrote

> Has anyone been able to get Thunderbird to work with comcast newsgroups?
> The issue is there is no way to put in the password.
>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>

>> If you're referring to the new news server (newsgroups.comcast.net),
>> yes, it works fine. Once you add the account highlight it and choose
>> Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions. You'll be prompted for a username and
>> password.
>>
>> also check to make sure you haven't changed the outgoing SMTP server:
>> Tools - Account Settings - click the Server Settings under the
>> account, click the Advanced button, the server should most likely be
>> smtp.comcast.net:25.
>>
>> If you can't resolve this please describe in detail how you setup the
>> account and what happened when you tried to manage the newsgroup
>> subscriptions.
>>

> Wasn't aware of this new Comcast news server -- I was able to set it
> up, but not by using my Comcast username; rather, I had to use the
> original alpha-numeric name Comcast assigned to me. If I didn't have it
> written down, I'd not have known it.
>
> Questions--
> 1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
> using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
> 2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
> the new Comcast server ?

Newsgrops.comcast.net net works, but about once a week it forgets my
user name and pass word. You need to put in your full email address
((E-Mail Removed)). Also, it has severe limits on the amount you can
download. 2GB per month as I recall.

Jim

>Questions--
>
>1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
>using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
>2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
>the new Comcast server ?
>
>Thanx--
>
>Herb

I was notified of the new server by e-mail from Comcast and told that
after July 15 my giganews account would not work. That would be
one advantage to the new server.

Ed Mullen

Jim wrote:
>>Questions--
>>
>>1) Is there any advantage to using this news server versus the one I'm
>>using, which is news.md.comcast.giganews.com ?
>>2) How do I copy settings (such as filters) from the other server/NG to
>>the new Comcast server ?
>>
>>Thanx--
>>
>>Herb

> I was notified of the new server by e-mail from Comcast and told that
> after July 15 my giganews account would not work. That would be
> one advantage to the new server.

exactly.

Switch to the new server. Your username for logon is yoiur entire email
address: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ... your password is your email password.

The Giganews service with Comcast is disappearing by month's end. I've
had no trouble with the new service ... other than this.

In Mozilla Suite I was getting constantly prompted to enter username and
password, which I repeatedly did. I tried manually editing the password
file to little avail. In frustration I set a check in "Always request
authentication when connecting to this server" in Edit - Mail and
Newsgroup Account Settings - newsgroup.comcast.net - Server Settings. I
can't document this as a fix but if you experience the same repetitive
requests for logon info you might try it. Fixed it here as far as I can
tell.

Other than that, the new news server works just fine.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because
he was he, and I was I. - Michel de Montaigne

Stubby

Ed Mullen wrote:

> In Mozilla Suite I was getting constantly prompted to enter username

and
> password, which I repeatedly did. I tried manually editing the password
> file to little avail. In frustration I set a check in "Always request
> authentication when connecting to this server" in Edit - Mail and
> Newsgroup Account Settings - newsgroup.comcast.net - Server Settings. I
> can't document this as a fix but if you experience the same repetitive
> requests for logon info you might try it. Fixed it here as far as I can
> tell.
>
> Other than that, the new news server works just fine.

Not quite. The newsgroups account is owned by the primary mail
account. That's so Comcast can count up bandwidth use against the
account owner. So when a secondary user tries to get his/her mail, the
primary account owner's username and password must be presented. But
Mozilla (1.7. with Password Manager gives the current user's ID. The
result is that secondary users cannot log on to the newsgroups server.

Ed Mullen

Stubby wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
> > In Mozilla Suite I was getting constantly prompted to enter username and

>> password, which I repeatedly did. I tried manually editing the
>> password file to little avail. In frustration I set a check in
>> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" in Edit
>> - Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings - newsgroup.comcast.net - Server
>> Settings. I can't document this as a fix but if you experience the
>> same repetitive requests for logon info you might try it. Fixed it
>> here as far as I can tell.
>>
>> Other than that, the new news server works just fine.

> Not quite. The newsgroups account is owned by the primary mail
> account. That's so Comcast can count up bandwidth use against the
> account owner. So when a secondary user tries to get his/her mail, the
> primary account owner's username and password must be presented. But
> Mozilla (1.7. with Password Manager gives the current user's ID. The
> result is that secondary users cannot log on to the newsgroups server.

I'm not following you. I have 7 Comcast mail addresses. All are set in
Mozilla to auto-download, auto-check on start, and re-check every five
minutes for mail. There is only ONE logon and password (my primary
email address and pw) saved for newsgroups.comcast.net in the Moz pw
file. That info is prompted for the first time you access the news
server after creating the account. That's what gets saved in the pw
file in Mozilla. Mozilla won't send anything until you give it the info
to send. Even if you're operating in Mozilla using a different profile
for each mail account, you can setup the newsgroup server in each
profile. Simply use the primary email and pw when prompted for the info.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. - Mohandas Gandhi

BCloutier

Thanks to all got it working!

Brian

news:(E-Mail Removed)...